Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Jim1611 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Will we see jobs and industry start coming back from other countries after this virus has been put behind us? I've worked alone in my own tool and die shop for the past 20 years and every time I've lost work it was due to the company I had been doing business with changing everything and sending the product to China.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe. But it's sure to end any further China sourcing.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Jim, I just saw your post count, I'm late Welcome new friend.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some industry will return.
Much will remain the same, since most buy things based on price, not country.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Will we see jobs and industry start coming back from other countries after this virus has been put behind us? I've worked alone in my own tool and die shop for the past 20 years and every time I've lost work it was due to the company I had been doing business with changing everything and sending the product to China.

Maybe for a short period of time! But, past history shows, that we as Americans, have a very short “attention span”! We will quickly return to “status quo”!

I just read the post concerning your new membership.....welcome to the “Fire”! Though, if you’ve been following for a while.....you are probably aware that many of us are “more toxic” than the China virus! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/31/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

No, China is going to come out of this as a winner.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There have always been risks with doing a significant amount of business with, & reliance on overseas sources; this will drive home those risks, & for many, the newer, more visible level of risk will drive them away, where they are actually able to move product back.

Others, maybe not so much..............

Surely, it will curtail or stop, much of any new investment in China by U.S. based companies, at least in the short term.

Long term, who knows...................greed, & the drive for profitability are powerful motivators & people tend to have short memories.

Of all the foreign countries & people that I have dealt with in my business career, the Chinese are at the top of the list as far as being the least trustworthy, underhanded & totally unscrupulous to deal with, followed closely by people from Muslim cultures.

And that's not bias on my part in any way; just stating the facts as I have seen them `in dealing with them.

JMHO.

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not really, unless you want to pay 5K for a TV, etc

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Slavek

Says the guy who says the EU is great.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

They will be black balled initially. There will most likely be a regime change after China "drowns in a sea of Coronavirus" because the Idiot XI and his henchmen tried to cover it up. I think china might retain a slice of the pie but it will definitely be divied up to more countries.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Says the guy who says the EU is great.

Slavek = glupyy chelovek

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
95% of our antibiotics produced in China? That clearly must end. It doesn't matter if they cost more to be produced in the US. I know our financial health depends a lot of China, but our physical health cannot.....as we clearly see with the Wuhan Virus.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Not really, unless you want to pay 5K for a TV, etc

This, nothing will change.

J
Jim1611 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for the welcome guys. Among some people Made in the USA is worth paying extra. If the company is managed by accountants nothing seems to change and every decision is based off the dollar.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No, it would be grossly inefficient. People will pay attention to strengthening supply chains and alternate sourcing. If I had an alternate source for, say, hand sanitizer I'd be rich. There is a distillery in the state, with excess capacity I'm sure, that just got emergency approval to make hand sanitizer. They at least, and I suspect anyone watching, will be prepared to become an alternate source on a moment's notice if needed again. Capitalism at its best.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It will only change if there’s a political will to change. As long as there’s unrestricted trade and low cost countries to exploit for market advantage the advantages will be exploited. If tariffs are applied so as to support US manufacturing then manufacturing will be advantageous here. It’s a political question not an economic question.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
China is not our friend.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by poboy
China is not our friend.

EVERYONE knows that, but the OP inquires about outsourcing and it's just not going to happen.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a BIL who works for a defense contractor manufacturing sonar. They have reassigned them to alternate projects because there is a certain component that they need to assemble sonars that comes from Italy and they can no longer get it at this time.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Things will change. I believe this has caused a sea change in how we, as a country, view our National Security, from a commerce perspective and there will be lots of companies moving their manufacturing out of China, hopefully back to the US.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 2,694 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,798
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.