Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Brother lived the last half of his life there. I went up more often than I could afford. We never paid for a guide but spent our money on planes and pilots. Caribou and Sheep were the bigger hunts, and successful each time.

Logistics were not insurmountable. I believe drop camps (no guide) for Caribou are still possible, and if you can take care of yourself outdoors this is a good hunt. Herds are hurting in some areas, though.

Go soon. Go back.

"I have always disliked the words 'authority' and 'expert' when applied to those who write about guns, shooting,and hunting. I have never set myself up as either."
Jack O'Connor
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it's any consolation, I can't afford my own hunts either. But it's a great state and, as former governor Jay Hammond famously stated. " it's the last place I would ever want to live, and with any luck it will be "

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by teal
Originally Posted by rost495
The wording sounds strangely placed...

Teal-- 54 here, 17 years into a 20 year retirement, of which the city screwed me for 2 more of those years, I said they were so crooked, corrupt and didn't care, wife told me to get. City would kill me from stress.

I did just that last year. Started a new career.

That career is a killer right now with stuff going on, I was about set to start making what I used to make dollar wise but this 19 thing..

I don't regret one minute.

Yeah - I don't know. I'm a logistics wonk but logistics down here is VASTLY different than what's in AK, I'm sure. I've with a great woman who still has kids in high school, asking her to bail on them to their dad or pull them out - not the person I am.

That said - maybe, who knows. I'm always sort of looking and once the boys are out - I'll likely engage more serious. 43 years old here so I have a little time. Would likely engage a professional recruiter once looking for real as what I tend to find on my own - all retail work at 11 an hour.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Those boys are the perfect age to get up here. There are more opportunities for high school students to hunt. Your lady will like it up here there is less bullchit. Finally, I was thinking Phil we do have bots up here- they mess with caribou terribly.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by 458Win
If it's any consolation, I can't afford my own hunts either. But it's a great state and, as former governor Jay Hammond famously stated. " it's the last place I would ever want to live, and with any luck it will be "

I've told my son many times that if he decides that college is not for him, then I'll be spending that chunk of change on a 458win brownie hunt and never look back.

Or on a couple of Harleys....:)

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Y’all be careful when you’re out and abot!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 257Bob
I spent six weeks in and around the Palmer area summer before last, put 5,000 miles on the rental car exploring in every direction daily until we ran out of places to go. As an avid hunter who would like to hunt Alaska, I left with the understanding that it takes lots of gear (boats, planes, ATVs) and time to hunt that vast territory and would certainly require the services of a licensed guide to have any chance of success. Given success, the logistics of transporting a moose out of the field are overwhelming to this southern deer hunter. Even if I moved to Alaska, which I could, I'd have to invest in the aforementioned gear to even make a modest effort. Side note, I see that a frequent visitor to this forum has kin in Talkeetna, spent some time there, a wonderful place minus the tourist!

Its wonderful before the tourists arrive and after they leave. But they pay the bills.

Tallahassee.. one of our other guides is from Tallahassee area.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I suspect the tourist flow will be impacted severely this summer and I would guess that some may cancel hunts.

Maybe we can fish the KP this year!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
So .. .338-06 or .35 whelen for Alaska?

-Jake

400 Whelen. cool

35 Whelen +100 (Not that the 400 isn't cool)

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Chit.. me reading fast.. life... 35 plus 100, rough math was thinking there was a 45 whelen. then my math kicked in and all of a sudden.... gotcha.

It was a toss up between 35 whelen and 338-06 on a rebore some years ago. 338 got the decision for some reason. Maybe I should find another donor and do a 35 for the hell of it, and then another in 400...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Reloading for the 400 is not easy...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
You should try it for an AR14.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
You should try it for an AR14.

Point!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I guess as a 400 Whelen owner who has reloaded a lot of 400 Whelen, I have to ask, how so? How is it more difficult than any other round to load? Perhaps a couple more steps if you're forming cases from 30-06 or 35 Whelen. With Quality Cartridge brass, which is 30-06 cylindrical with a 400 Whelen headstamp, simply run it into the die, trim to length and load. Same applies to Norma 30-06 cylindrical if you can find it.

With 30-06 or 35 Whelen brass, it adds a step or two using an expander die or fireforming with COW. I've done both. Neither are difficult. A little time consuming but not difficult.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mart - why 400 over 35?

Me

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have both and have killed moose with both. They each work very well. I have a passion for odd and unusual chamberings and was always interested in the 400 Whelen. I already had a 35 Whelen but when I met and visited with Michael Petrov, the gentleman who dispelled the headspace myths of the 400, I knew I had to build one. I t has been my favorite gun project ever and is my favorite big game round. It matches the much heralded 450/400 Nitro Express for performance, pushing a 400 grain bullet at 2150. It's a fun and easy to shoot big bore, or large medium bore if you consider big to start at 45.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I guess as a 400 Whelen owner who has reloaded a lot of 400 Whelen, I have to ask, how so? How is it more difficult than any other round to load? Perhaps a couple more steps if you're forming cases from 30-06 or 35 Whelen. With Quality Cartridge brass, which is 30-06 cylindrical with a 400 Whelen headstamp, simply run it into the die, trim to length and load. Same applies to Norma 30-06 cylindrical if you can find it.

With 30-06 or 35 Whelen brass, it adds a step or two using an expander die or fireforming with COW. I've done both. Neither are difficult. A little time consuming but not difficult.

Spent some time with Michael Petrov and went through his work on it and got to look at some really nice examples... still a pita.
wink

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I spent quite a bit of time with him as well. He had some incredible pieces of history. Yes time consuming if making from 06 or 35 Whelen. Not difficult though.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have been hunting Alaska since 1965 when I was 15. Shot my first moose and caribou on the same day with the old Springfield 03A3 my Dad fixed up for me with a old Weaver scope. Due to some neglect on my nephews part the bore was ruined after not cleaning it forever when firing old WWII tracer ammo and ball ammo. Any way, it is now a 338-06 I gifted to my Grandson. I probably should of saved some money and retired it to a wall hanger and just bought him a stainless Mod. 70 with the old style trigger.

My primary hunting rifle is a customized .338 based on a Mod. 70 "Classic Stainless", been using it for many years. I have one other stainless center fire rifle and it is a Tikka T3X Superlite in 6.5 Creedmoor I got mainly for grand kid's to use. All my other rifles are blue steel and walnut. Can't think of much I couldn't kill with it with the 127 grain Barnes LRX bullet if I did not stretch the range. But, the .338 and my wonderful old Mod. 70 Featherweight 30-06 are my hunting rifles. Nothing has ever felt as good in my hands as that old Mod. 70, except for a custom Browning Hi Power I have had for probably 30 years and carried on duty.

After it is all said and done, I believe the 30-06, 338-06 and .35 Whelen are the three best Alaskan cartridge's. With the right bullet in the right place they do the job at any reasonable range on any Alaskan critter. I have many friends who use and swear by the .338 and I am one of them and the .300 Win. or Win. Short Mag. cartridge. But, if I was starting over my main hunting rifle would be based on a 30-06 case and as light as is reasonable and have a 22-24 inch barrel, a synthetic stock and stainless and cerakoted.

I am 69 now and plan on hunting more with my Marlin 45-70 and a Mod. 71 Win. in .348 Ackley Improved with receiver sights. I really like those lever guns and if I do my job I know the Kodiak Bonded bullets will do their job. If I come home empty handed it would not be the first time, besides, I have grand kid's that can shoot with a scoped bolt gun. I am also a Barnes X and Nosler Partition bullet fan for bolt guns and an Alaska Bullet Works Kodiak Bonded bullet for lever guns. I know lots of other bullets work, but I trust these and after years of using them they have never failed me. I am not a believer in taking long shots at un-wounded animals and have found the majority of shots at Alaska's critters have been well under 200 yards.

What is long for me is not long for some one else, so it is a judgement call for me and every one else. But, in my mediocre 55 year Alaskan hunting career I have never failed to quickly recover a shot animal and my prayer and intention is to go to the grave with that record intact. So I will continue to get close, get as good a rest as possible, try to shoot at a stationary animal and hit it in the right place with a good bullet from an accurate gun. I also do not believe I need over a 10 power scope for any hunting I have ever done and a 4 power scope works. Guys on You Tube hit game sized targets with a 3-9 SWFA mil scope at 1,000 yards and that is the scope I put on the Tikka 6.5 so the grand kid's can learn the mil system. Just saying...

Researching and area and species and time in the field pay off. A pair of strong legs and traveling light pays off and buy the best gear possible. Binoculars, buy the best you can afford and spend more money on them then your sighting instrument which is your scope and should only be used to deliver the bullet, never to glass with. Live in your binoculars when hunting! Many a book has been written on hunting and shooting and You Tube lets us see actual hunts and stalks and shooting and the games reaction to the shot, learn from it.

I wish I was young and strong again. Me and my 71 year old wife have our moose and caribou hunt with the grand kid's planned out. Hopefully the darn virus won't interfere in it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Lots of wisdom right there.
Thanks for posting.
Hoping the same regarding the 🦠. Little bastid.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
669 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 73 invisible), 3,195 guests, and 1,462 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.