-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Savvy supply chain managers were already looking to move off China after the tariffs. Likely some of the more nimble ones to do so haven't been as interrupted as others. This will only reinforce company decisions to initiate the discussion of changing source countries.

Highly unlikely it all comes back to the US. Highly unlikely it causes regime change in China. Some of it was going to move out of China anyway as their middle class was growing and driving up costs - costs that didn't make them as competitive with other Pac-Rim countries.

Me

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But thrtr are only so many alternatives. Will the ROI be sufficient to capitalize new sources in competition with China? Kinda doubt it unless something changes bigly.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by nighthawk
But thrtr are only so many alternatives. Will the ROI be sufficient to capitalize new sources in competition with China? Kinda doubt it unless something changes bigly.

In the long run those idiots will unleash yet another virus with almost 100% certainty. How much is that worth to a supply chain? The pie will be split up .

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Tariffs be damned. We need political leaders with the balls to legislate a stop to companies outsourcing or moving to China. They can either come home or go out of business. I’ll bet the vast majority would choose the former. As far as prices going up, I’d rather pay more for safe and reliable American or Canadian made products. Another viable option is to offer them the option of moving their operations to Mexico. Not as good as having them at home but at least we wouldn’t have a filthy, disease ridden, corrupt communist regime “eating our lunch”. I believe Trump has the balls but there’s no way that our gutless PM and his Liberal lakys would offend the Chinese. After all, he’s publicly stated that he greatly admires China’s Communist regime. He’s weak and dangerous and has to go.

Last edited by Bobber257; 03/31/20.

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Bobber257
Tariffs be damned. We need political leaders with the balls to legislate a stop to companies outsourcing or moving to China. They can either come home or go out of business. I’ll bet the vast majority would choose the latter. As far as prices going up, I’d rather pay more for safe and reliable American or Canadian made products. Another viable option is to offer them the option of moving their operations to Mexico. Not as good as having them at home but at least we wouldn’t have a filthy, disease ridden, corrupt communist regime “eating our lunch”. I believe Trump has the balls but there’s no way that our gutless PM and his Liberal lakys would offend the Chinese. After all, he’s publicly stated that he greatly admires China’s Communist regime. He’s weak and dangerous and has to go.

Did that Phagg really say that he admires the Chinese regime?

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I hope so. The miles are wearing me out.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tariffs be damned. We need political leaders with the balls to legislate a stop to companies outsourcing or moving to China. They can either come home or go out of business. I’ll bet the vast majority would choose the latter. As far as prices going up, I’d rather pay more for safe and reliable American or Canadian made products. Another viable option is to offer them the option of moving their operations to Mexico. Not as good as having them at home but at least we wouldn’t have a filthy, disease ridden, corrupt communist regime “eating our lunch”. I believe Trump has the balls but there’s no way that our gutless PM and his Liberal lakys would offend the Chinese. After all, he’s publicly stated that he greatly admires China’s Communist regime. He’s weak and dangerous and has to go.

Yet time and time again - it's shown that the American consumer will NOT pay more, often enough, and on average - for domestically sourced items. It's why companies move off shore. They MUST to compete due to the market going where the deal is.

The person that usually complains the loudest about "foreign manufacture" is usually the fat azz first in line at Walmart because they have something $1.35 cheaper than the mom an pop down the street.

Me

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
No, people want things as cheap as they can get them, so it will go back the way it was.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
At this time, there are precious few North American made options; regardless of the retail outlet.
American companies will discontinue having products made overseas when they are forced to. If the average manufacturer is simply told that his country would be better served by manufacturing at home, that will mean absolutely nothing to him. GD

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
[quote=Bobber257]

Did that Phagg really say that he admires the Chinese regime?

Yup. At a town hall type meeting back in November 2013 he was asked what nation he admired the most. His reply was, quote, “There’s a level of admiration I actually have for China. Their basic dictatorship is actually allowing them to turn their economy around on a dime.”

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
China has made billions this year selling medical supplies and medicine to the world. They are winning and it is march.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by greydog
At this time, there are precious few North American made options; regardless of the retail outlet.
American companies will discontinue having products made overseas when they are forced to. If the average manufacturer is simply told that his country would be better served by manufacturing at home, that will mean absolutely nothing to him. GD

That is why I stated in my origional post that companies be forced come home (I should have said, “back to N. America”) or go out of business. The Mexico option would help with lowering costs for U.S. and Canadian consumers while taking the power out of China’s hands. Also, it could provide an economic boost for Mexico and probably slow down the illegal alien problems. I’m sure that a lot of Mexican families would prefer to remain in their homeland if they could earn a decent living.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some countries are not going to bounce back as well as others after this passes, lot's of small industry may take much longer to come back online if they manage to at all.

There is going to be a world wide need for products to fill the voids left by the loss of the industry that doesn't bounce back so quickly.

Just like us, China has a world wide market. But unlike us, China is poised to get a jump start at filling the voids.

It'll take the US three times as long to get back up and running as it does China mainly due to the level of control China has over its people.
They will be banging out product and fillin' the voids while we are still thinking about letting people go back to work.

China's jump start will make them king of the market place they had and what they manage to expand to and they will hold that for a long time..

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Tariffs be damned. We need political leaders with the balls to legislate a stop to companies outsourcing or moving to China. They can either come home or go out of business. I’ll bet the vast majority would choose the latter.

Trump was right, as usual, about tariffs. We do NOT need politicians legislating where manufacturing takes place, they’re not competent to do that. Can you imagine an idiot like AOC making decisions like that?

Tariffs were put in the US constitution so the government has a method of correcting unfair trade practices by hitting them where it hurts, in the pocketbook. They’re a way of nudging the free market without resorting to legislative control which never works. Those advocating unrestrained free trade, like my stockbroker, hate them because they cut profits of companies that rely heavily on outsourcing. That’s exactly why they work, the financial incentive is to bring manufacturing back home if they’re targeted judiciously.

Tariffs are a fantastic tool for shaping international trade balances while still allowing the free market to work. Trump knows that and the founding fathers knew that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by greydog
If the average manufacturer is simply told that his country would be better served by manufacturing at home, that will mean absolutely nothing to him.

Quadruple ditto for the consumer.................

But U.S. "manufacturers" are not just run by manufacturers, they're run by investment owners, who are equally as devoted to servicing their loan financing as the consumers are about servicing their own pocketbook.

So long as the cheaper product is available, for the most part, it will be preferentially bought in the U.S. even though one good item will outlast 3 of the cheap items.

That's where the mentality is at in the U.S.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Let's hope.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There may be some pharmaceutical production moved back but not much else will change .

J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I enjoy history and especially our own as a nation. When I read about how our great people came to the aid of the entire world during WWII and stepped up manufacturing to defeat 2 enemies my heart swells with pride. In my mind I ask is that nation gone and if it is what nation in this world will stand in the gap to defeat evil. None will, that's who. My trade, toolmaker used to have plenty of people involved in. Back in the 70s and 80s when I started we had businesses that had their own training and apprentice schools to make sure their was a supply to fill the jobs of those that retire. Now there is no demand or effort in any of that. We've lost an asset my friends and one that cannot be gotten back in short order. This all concerns me when I see our manufacturing being shipped away.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
At work & at home my intentions have been driven do all purchases with China sources off the list if when I can! Did not need much of an excuse before. I feel we sure have good cayuse to divert our business else where going forward.

Last edited by Hunterapp; 03/31/20.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Send them a 6 trillion dollar bill. If they don't pay- no travel, no trade. Crippling economic sanctions.
If they didn't think starting a bat virus was serious, they soon will.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 338reddog, 300jimmy, 2UP, 24 invisible), 1,702 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,598
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.