These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This is a copy and paste from the CDC website. Appears it's in the constitution.

Federal Law

The federal government derives its authority for isolation and quarantine from the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution.

Under section 361 of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S. Code § 264), the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services is authorized to take measures to prevent the entry and spread of communicable diseases from foreign countries into the United States and between states.

The authority for carrying out these functions on a daily basis has been delegated to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
CDC’s Role

Under 42 Code of Federal Regulations parts 70 and 71, CDC is authorized to detain, medically examine, and release persons arriving into the United States and traveling between states who are suspected of carrying these communicable diseases.

As part of its federal authority, CDC routinely monitors persons arriving at U.S. land border crossings and passengers and crew arriving at U.S. ports of entry for signs or symptoms of communicable diseases.

When alerted about an ill passenger or crew member by the pilot of a plane or captain of a ship, CDC may detain passengers and crew as necessary to investigate whether the cause of the illness on board is a communicable disease.

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Matthew 5:45 states
That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

We're all part of a fallen world and have to live with what happens. In regard to gathering for worship. Paul Harvey used to say that self government will not work without self discipline. Our church is not assembling as normal. I miss church very much and seeing my friends but for now we are being safe. We have many elderly members that are as dear to me as my own family and though I don't mind the risk for me I refuse to put them in danger. I think by taking this approach we take the government's power away from them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The question is - does your right to worship take priority over others' right to life? And why would you want it to?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe
The question is - does your right to worship take priority over others' right to life? And why would you want it to?

I believe that is non-sequitor.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by FreeMe

I believe that is non-sequitor.

I think it's perfectly on point.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
UMC has us shut down right now. I held my Cemetery Committee meeting outside last week. Everyone kept their distance, yet we had a productive meeting.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Kellywk
I think it will probably hold up in court as the prohibition doesn’t effect just churches but any gathering over so many people. So the argument is going to be that it’s as narrowly tailored as possible and doesn’t single out religion

I don’t necessarily agree with the people saying God will protect the congregation from illness. Everything I’ve saw in the Bible is that God will protect your soul, can’t recall anything saying he’ll protect your mortal life

First, religion is protected by the First Amendment, just as the right to keep and bare arms is protected by the Second. But I have come to believe that all these rights are only on paper and have little doubt that before the ink dried they were being compromised and are to this day all the more. So we will see, but his case should be air tight for a dismissal.
Second, have you read any passages in Scripture about Jesus healing the sick and raising people from the dead? He also said these things and greater will the folks who will come later will do. It happens with faith in the God I know.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm partial to long sleeves.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well... while I beleive in the concept of blocking large gatherings to sequester the spread of the virus....

I do beleive the exemption of this rule should apply to smaller and more repressed relgions... such as the muslum relgion....

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by KFWA
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I'm not a religious guy and quite frankly I think these people are irresponsible in their actions. God doesn't protect Christians from a hurricane, earthquake or tornado, I don't see why he's going to make an exception with Corona - and to date he has not.

That said, I don't really see a difference constitution wise from the corona virus and the government telling a church they can't meet because of any political reason. Then again, no one is ever going to accuse me of being a constitutional scholar.

I know there is some precedent against some of the religions that don't believe in traditional medicine when it comes to the life of a child, but this is adults choosing the practice their religion.

I also assume that one could argue no one is stopping them from assembling but the CDC recommends 6 feet apart or they should meet remotely via the internet - however that is a law regarding the free exercise thereof and the right of the people to peaceably assemble.

interesting times.

KFWA,

In this instance, nobody make a law "respecting the establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof".

People and area's are being quarantined due to a deadly pathogen, and as a result public gatherings are effectively prohibited. Religion gatherings were not in any way singled out. Just as we do not allow religious child sacrifice as an exception to our laws against murder, religions does not give people the right to spread infectious disease.

I posted a recent SCOTUS precedent in another thread addressing this.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by Tyrone
People are going to gather.
If you are afraid of catching C19 and dying or suffering, it is incumbent on YOU to avoid those people!

If you go to the gas station, the grocery, the doctor,..or even to your mailbox, you can't avoid them.

If they are locked up you can.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Parse the question and find the answer. Are we making a regulation primarily concerning public health which incidentally affects religion, no more or less than any publicly attended event? Or intended particularly to restrict the free xercise of religion?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
One could try jaywalking across a 4-lane per side freeway at rush hour also, depending on "faith" to protect one's self.

Survivors? God doesn't want them anyway...... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The Bible tells us to obey our authorities unless they conflict the clear word of god ( the bible ) .

God expects us to use our brain , that is why he gave us one.

To ignore health risks and expect god to protect us is way out in left field.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Matthew 5:45 states
That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

We're all part of a fallen world and have to live with what happens. In regard to gathering for worship. Paul Harvey used to say that self government will not work without self discipline. Our church is not assembling as normal. I miss church very much and seeing my friends but for now we are being safe. We have many elderly members that are as dear to me as my own family and though I don't mind the risk for me I refuse to put them in danger. I think by taking this approach we take the government's power away from them.

This where I am at... We also have a number of widows in the 80 to 90 year range, several with frail health. However, they feel strongly to be at church whenever the doors are open.

We have in the past cancelled services on marginal snow/ice days simply to NOT put the elderly members at risk of a slip, fall, broken hip. For me, same philosophy here. While we may arguably have the constitutional right to gather, it is not worth the downside risk to health and well being of our elderly members. JMO. YMMV.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
It's like Big Girls and spandex yoga pants, they have the right to wear them but they really shouldn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Give it 18-24 months to work it's way up the courts system and there are going to be some really interesting cases arriving at the SC level about where laws that are being enforced and the first amendment come into conflict.

For the topic at hand, I don't blame the pastor, I blame his flock for being so (insert adjective of choice) to show up.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ipopum
The Bible tells us to obey our authorities unless they conflict the clear word of god ( the bible ) .

God expects us to use our brain , that is why he gave us one.

To ignore health risks and expect god to protect us is way out in left field.

I think that ended with the demise of divine right kings.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 57 invisible), 3,344 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,297
Posts18,468,035
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.