Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Gregor Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Roberson Cartridge Company

Found this company from another forum. Make cartridges for very obscure calibers, apparently by CNC.

More rifle looney madness.

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Looked at there website, they have some really obscure stuff like .10 gauge and .12 gauge brass. Come'on people, at least care enough to look at your own website.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by mnmarlin
Looked at there website, they have some really obscure stuff like .10 gauge and .12 gauge brass. Come'on people, at least care enough to look at your own website.

I'm not sure what you're getting at there? Care to explain? Is it that there is a decimal in front of the gauge number or what?
Thanks,
Rex

Gregor Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
They make cartridges like a .22 Long Rifle centerfire, 22R Lovell, .43 Egyptian, et.al. Type of company Ross Seyfried would have wrote an expansive, enlightening article about the obscure cartridge cases that are made there to put back into shooting order an obscure rife that you would seriously consider now purchasing, since Ross would have written load data and conversion information on modern powders to use.

Trying to make productive time with my Wuhan furlough.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Pricy but I'd pay for it in some cases if I thought I was getting quality. I reached out to the guy to ask about comparative case capacities and to see if I could pay for a few samples but he wasn't interested.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They list a lot of cartridges they make if you send them a sample to go from. Seems a bit odd.

L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
In my highly sophisticated, which in this case describes a cleverly thought out process based on a clearly dubious premise, search for the perfect cape buffalo cartridge I settled on the .416 Dakota. So one is in the works right now, but it's not back from the gunsmith yet.

The one little [bleep] with the whole 416 Dakota idea was getting properly head-stamped brass. Enter RCC.

I just received 100 pieces of 416 Dakota brass from RCC last week. It looks to be very, very good stuff. In this case RCC needed the reamer specs, and my sign-off on their drawings to make the brass. The virgin un-resized brass I received chambers nicely, as do virgin FLR cases. Primer pockets are nice and tight, but not too much so. Case capacity is about 5% less than resized fire-formed Norma 404 Jeffery brass.

Haven't shot any ammo made with the RCC brass yet, so I can't comment on its longevity or suitability for repeated hand-loading, but I imagine it will be just fine. It's pricey, that's for sure, but it makes sense for my "perfect" buffalo rifle.

Now if the rifle ever gets to Africa, the ammo head-stamp will match markings on the rifle, and one unlikely conversation with an African customs official will never happen...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
triple deuce,

That's one of the things that Roberson specializes in. I have talked to him considerably, and am still trying to work out something for an article. At one point he said he would send some samples, partly for repeated firing to see how the primer pockets held up in modern rounds, but they never showed up, even after a reminder from me.

By the way, the centerfire Long Rifle cases are the brainchild of our own Digital Dan. We were talking over his desire to develop a reloadable LR case for rifles, and I made two suggestions: Buy a T/C Contender Carbine .22 LR barrel, since the firing-pin can be turned back and for from rimfire to centerfire, and to contact Roberson about making cases.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Gregor Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the information, JB and LJB. Nice to hear of the end use of these cartridges. It amazes me the effort that many people have put forth to make available cases, bullets and data for firearms that just years ago, say 1940's thru the 1990's, would have required a herculean effort to accomplish.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, handloaders are sure living in a "golden age" of brass availability!

Just received some 6mm-06 cases from a company I'd never used before, and hope to shoot some this week. But the preliminary testing indicates excellent quality.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a supply of the .22 CF brass from RCC as MD suggested. I ordered a box of 50 to verify dims before jumping into the deep end. Primer pockets were a bit tight given my method of primer seating. Fixed with tools on hand and they worked quite well. Ordered a good supply with spec request on the pockets and they were spot on. He included 5 cases made of bronze to test hi-vel loads but I’ve not done that yet. Good quality IMO albeit a bit pricey.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Some cartridges were designed before SAMMI standardized dimensions, this is why they ask for sample cartridges I would think.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
806 is an Amarillo and Lubbock area code.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Interesting. I'm going to contact them about 22 Reed Express. *nix that, wrong cartridge. mine is a 220 Falcon by Reed.

Last edited by Fireball2; 03/30/20.

LOL
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I'd like to hear more about Dan's 22 CF project. I'm pretty well stocked with 22 LR now but it still interests me

Presidents come and go, but entitlements are forever - Michael Medved

Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ask and ye shall receive....

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12274426/27

The nuts and bolts start up about half way thru...

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1badf350, 222Sako, 163bc, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 59 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,672
Posts18,456,039
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.