Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Massive blood in the streets on energy stocks for obvious reasons. The XLE spider went down about 75%. Supply gluts everywhere. What I'm wondering is whether we are seeing a once in a lifetime opportunity to buy investments when no one wants anything to do with them?

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
oil prices went up a bit today and I saw a decent rise on my oil stocks in the morning. Im certainly no expert but I have price alerts set for XOM, CLR ( very risky as just downgraded) and OXY and plan to slowly pick up more but Im looking years out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The question is, is this temporary, or is this permanent. The problem with “energy” funds is that they are really fossil fuel funds.

The lifetime question is how fossil fuel stacks up, economically, to things like solar and wind. To paraphrase an old saying “they are not building those windmills with losses”. The cost of installed solar is continuing to come down by about 3% per year. Over a lifetime, that means the cost of solar will come down by 80% or more. And the installed cost of industrial solar (in high sun areas) is now considerably below $0.05 /KWH.

Whatever it does, the cost of fossil fuels is not on a continuing cost reduction path. A major competitor is. Bet accordingly?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most oil investments are minimally limited to those individuals that are "accredited".

But you can still buy oil company stocks as shares, or get into a pooled investment with other unaccredited people.

Careful which company you pick. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Without heavy govt ( tax payer) subsidies solar and wind don't per form that well, not that reliable required constant maintenance and was expensive. And I lived off the grid on wind and solar for 15 years.

Originally Posted by Dutch
The question is, is this temporary, or is this permanent. The problem with “energy” funds is that they are really fossil fuel funds.

The lifetime question is how fossil fuel stacks up, economically, to things like solar and wind. To paraphrase an old saying “they are not building those windmills with losses”. The cost of installed solar is continuing to come down by about 3% per year. Over a lifetime, that means the cost of solar will come down by 80% or more. And the installed cost of industrial solar (in high sun areas) is now considerably below $0.05 /KWH.

Whatever it does, the cost of fossil fuels is not on a continuing cost reduction path. A major competitor is. Bet accordingly?

Last edited by ribka; 03/31/20.
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've bought some oil company stocks over the last couple of weeks, BP, XOM, and RDS-A & B. $20 oil isn't going to stay that way long so I grabbed some at the cheap prices.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I wish Trump would expand the capacity of the strategic petroleum reserve and max that out at these low prices.

MOLON LABE
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I've been thinking of buying some Vanguard Energy ETF(VDE) if it dips below its current 52wk low.
Though we shall see. In the next 10 years, electric vehicles will become increasingly common.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I've bought some oil company stocks over the last couple of weeks, BP, XOM, and RDS-A & B. $20 oil isn't going to stay that way long so I grabbed some at the cheap prices.

RDS/a pay tax on dividends to the Dutch. I would stick with b shares.
Read recently that some missiles were intercepted over Saudi Arabia. A few direct hits would send oil sky high.
Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
I wish Trump would expand the capacity of the strategic petroleum reserve and max that out at these low prices.

He has and is as we speak.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Pipe line stocks usually pay good dividends as well.

1Minute
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 1minute

Which ones ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Which ones ?

KMI might be worth a look at these prices, I think they have a good balance sheet and a 7% dividend. They pump and transport gas and oil, so demand is down but if they survive with the current dividend in place it's a nice buy. They got smacked during the last oil turn down and have been lowering debt the last five years or so. As long as gas and oil are flowing they get paid, but expect a bad quarter or two with demand down.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Low oil prices will cure low oil prices. The Middle East will become more and more unstable with low oil prices. The Saudis are whistling past the graveyard by engaging in a price war with Russia and the rest of OPEC. They’ll run out of cash within six to nine months and their kleptocracy will collapse just as soon as they run out of cash just like the rest of the kingdoms in the gulf. When that powder keg blows the price of oil will skyrocket. The Russians aren’t much better. Russia and OPEC/Saudi Arabia will make a deal sooner rather than later.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

Which ones ?

KMI might be worth a look at these prices, I think they have a good balance sheet and a 7% dividend. They pump and transport gas and oil, so demand is down but if they survive with the current dividend in place it's a nice buy. They got smacked during the last oil turn down and have been lowering debt the last five years or so. As long as gas and oil are flowing they get paid, but expect a bad quarter or two with demand down.

Thanks Norm.

Have been looking at some royalty trust just for grins also .

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

Which ones ?

thanks

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
have bene considering dipping my toe in vanguard energy. No cash in real life now, but I have some cash equiv in my retirement left.

10 year horizon, thinking I am in good shape with an energy buy.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Not sure if I would count on any of these stocks keeping the current dividend. That being said, whenever this virus stuff passes, the demand comes back, and a couple players implement some price strategies, oil will double in price or more.

Last edited by OutlawPatriot; 03/31/20.

MOLON LABE
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Not sure if I would count on any of these stocks keeping the current dividend. That being said, whenever this virus stuff passes, the demand comes back, and a couple players implement some price strategies, oil will double in price or more.

Don’t worry about Exxon dividends.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

RDS/a pay tax on dividends to the Dutch. I would stick with b shares.
Read recently that some missiles were intercepted over Saudi Arabia. A few direct hits would send oil sky high.
Hasbeen

Yes, if your in the US always buy RDSb not a. Unless your a European citizen you pay a 15% tax on a share dividends. b shares are from the British exchange and don't have the 15% dutch tax. I had to explain this to my broker a few weeks ago. He tried to buy me a shares because that's what he had just bought himself. I insisted on b shares.

Bb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.