Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WoodrowFCall
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
What is "less lethal"? Do you mean a lower percentage of deaths? It's quite clear that COVID-19 is more lethal on that score if you believe any of the stats. Or do you mean fewer deaths overall? I guess that depends on how many people get infected. If the movements made by the state and federal governments are successful, we'll never really know how many deaths were prevented, so it's difficult to gauge. At this point, it seems more highly infectious than the flu, so it's likely that more infections will come about. A wild card is summer coming on and will the virus itself succumb to higher temperatures? Will there be a vaccine for next year and will the vaccine work should the virus mutate like a flu? Thus far the virus hasn't killed as many people as the flu, but it didn't get as early of a start. It also depends on what you attribute a death to. Neither the flu nor COVID really kills anybody, but both can bring on the pneumonia that does. Another thing is underlying conditions contributing to a death. Lots of factors. All of them are dependent upon the accuracy and the veracity of the statistics.

I agree with you on the deaths. It's quite clear that even based on US numbers, per infected COVID-19 is more deadly. Even in the US, where we have good medical facilities.

As far as the higher temps.... This virus is already in places with warmer temps than here. Temp will have no effect on the virus.

I'm not sure that's true. When does your flu season normally end? If warmer temps effect it, then it should be at about the same time.

You are right that COVID-19 just didn't get the head start.

Really, our only hope is to keep it from spreading by staying home a bit. Trying to keep clean. etc.

There is no doubt in my mind the virus is man-made, just like the vaccine will be. The question is who manufactured it and for what purpose? China is the most obvious answer but possibly not the accurate one. The obvious purpose would be population control of the old and useless with sales of a vaccine and/or cure a secondary angle. Again, maybe not the accurate answer. Was the virus released or did it jump ship? Doubt we'll ever know the answers to all of it, short of Heaven and by then it won't matter.

There are actually some good stories on why this isn't a man made virus by some intelligent people. I know we like to go to conspiracy theories, but most of the time, the just don't hold water if you look at the facts. Besides, the one thing people can't do is shut up. There are quite a few people who didn't shut up about the virus response in China.... many are missing now. If there really was a man made deal, we would have heard about that too. People just can't keep a secret.
There are as many or more intelligent people who think the opposite.

As far as people keeping a secret, it doesn't matter. We don't live in the Information Age as much as the Disinformation Age. There is such a wealth of information available that all it does is serve to confuse. Add to this the fact that wide sectors of the Media including the internet are owned by Globalist SOB's who supress info they don't want known and you have a situation where few of us know anything. Just speculation.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
I never seen them loading bodies into a truck with a forklift from the flu.......

Spot on. Lunacy rules the day here as usual.
If any of our aged parents (with any comorbidity at all) get this they will be lucky to survive.
These same folks shake off the average flu every Winter.

My niece's husband is working in NYC in triage and it's horrific.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E

I agree with you on the deaths. It's quite clear that even based on US numbers, per infected COVID-19 is more deadly.

This is the fallacy the gentleman is trying to point out. One can only calculate lethality if one knows the number of people infected. If you test only those with extreme symptoms then guess what? Your lethality number will be artificially raised due to so many out in the population who didn’t have the extreme symptoms and therefore didn’t get tested.

His point is not that this isn’t such a big deal and everyone is over reacting it’s that we don’t know and can’t know even tho many in the media and government say otherwise.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
god...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by efw

I agree with you on the deaths. It's quite clear that even based on US numbers, per infected COVID-19 is more deadly.

This is the fallacy the gentleman is trying to point out. One can only calculate lethality if one knows the number of people infected. If you test only those with extreme symptoms then guess what? Your lethality number will be artificially raised due to so many out in the population who didn’t have the extreme symptoms and therefore didn’t get tested.

His point is not that this isn’t such a big deal and everyone is over reacting it’s that we don’t know and can’t know even tho many in the media and government say otherwise.

Exactly.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
There is no doubt in my mind the virus is man-made, just like the vaccine will be. The question is who manufactured it and for what purpose? China is the most obvious answer but possibly not the accurate one. The obvious purpose would be population control of the old and useless with sales of a vaccine and/or cure a secondary angle. Again, maybe not the accurate answer. Was the virus released or did it jump ship? Doubt we'll ever know the answers to all of it, short of Heaven and by then it won't matter.

I initially thought so, too, but then scientific reports like this one from the journal Nature started coming out:

The COVID-19 coronavirus epidemic has a natural origin, scientists say

It's more likely that COVID-19 is the outcome of people eating bats and armadillo-like animals than the ingenious creation of Chinese microbiologists.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We'll never know how many people have had this virus and fought it off without developing serious symptoms......just like we'll never know how many did the same with the flu.
My money's on this new virus being much deadlier than the flu. Follow the science.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Less lethal than the flu?

That's easy, the 6.5 Creedmoor.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by MickeyD
We'll never know how many people have had this virus and fought it off without developing serious symptoms......just like we'll never know how many did the same with the flu.
My money's on this new virus being much deadlier than the flu. Follow the science.

We'll know if we do widespread anti-body testing.

Tarquin
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The CDC figures that there have been between 38 and 54 millions cases of the flu this season, starting Oct. 1. That's a 40% variation, all from guesses as to how many unreported cases there have been. I'm guessing that the CV19 ccounts have at least that much variation. They estimate between 24,000 and 62,000 deaths, a huge variation. Taking the midpoints of those estimates gets a .09% death rate but the variations are so large that any percentage estimation is meaningless.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Quak
I’m I praying he is correct

That may not matter if everyone gets it eventually. IE end numbers of dead.

Regardless this is not a big deal, these things happen. World will go on. Tired of all the whining. Especially from those sitting home. I mean its not like you were told to learn how to run and shoot and then head out of a landing craft onto a beach far far away to die before you got to shore. Or to fight for 2 or 3 years only to die then....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Dr. Ralph Baric at UNC developed this same type chimera virus back in 2015 during "controversial" research soon banned - but permitted to continue. Claims it "could" occur naturally (cough, cough). Now with a staff of 30 working long hours to find the cure. Lost his recipe ? Bless his heart.

A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

I think it's too early to say if covid 19 will turn out to be deadlier than the flu. Some things to keep in mind:

According to the CDC, through 3/21/20, the flu this season has afflicted 39 million Americans, put 400,000 in the hospital and killed 23,000. Probably a pretty big percentage of the hospitalized and dead are senior citizens with one or more comorbidities. This, in spite of the fact that we have herd immunity to the flu, plus flu vaccines and, I believe, some flu treatments.

What would the flu deaths be if we had no herd immunity, no vaccines and no treatments? With 39 million afflicted. Who knows, but I would be willing to bet that the number would be a hell of a lot higher than 23,000.

We currently have no herd immunity, no vaccines and, maybe, no treatments for covid 19. They are working with some malaria drugs, and hopefully they will work out. Because they haven't been exposed regularly most of their lives to covid 19 and can't get an annual covid 19 vaccine, senior citizens, especially those with health problems, are taking a real hit with covid 19. Interestingly, the flu seems to be more dangerous to younger people than covid 19. According to CDC, 155 pediatric patients have died from the flu this year.

We won't really be in a position to compare covid 19 to the flu until we build up a herd immunity and develop a vaccine. Once those two things happen, then we can make valid comparisons. Hopefully, after we develop herd immunity and can get vaccines, the covid 19 will turn out to be less deadly than the flu. Just my take on this.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Less lethal, more lethal, who knows? But eventually, lethality be damned, we are going to have to come out of our holes.

If you believe the worst case stories, as long as 1 person has it we face the potential of a pandemic from it.

Politics is War by Other Means
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Quak
I’m I praying he is correct

That may not matter if everyone gets it eventually. IE end numbers of dead.

Regardless this is not a big deal, these things happen. World will go on. Tired of all the whining. Especially from those sitting home. I mean its not like you were told to learn how to run and shoot and then head out of a landing craft onto a beach far far away to die before you got to shore. Or to fight for 2 or 3 years only to die then....

No f.ucking s.hit. I’m tired of the damn whining too! Like these twenty year old folks needed another dam.n thing to WHINE about? 🤣😁

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Tarquin

We'll know if we do widespread anti-body testing.

Then we'd have to do an equal amount of antibody testing for flu. Then compare the numbers.
Not likely to be done for either.
The point is we don't have a true sense of how many actual cases of flu we experience in any given year.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Less lethal, more lethal, who knows? But eventually, lethality be damned, we are going to have to come out of our holes.

If you believe the worst case stories, as long as 1 person has it we face the potential of a pandemic from it.

I’m not living in a damn hole much longer. Actually, this is pretty normal to me. I went to ACADEMY sports and Tractor Supply today. It was full of damn people. Is there really a lockdown? All the ammo and gun shelves were kinda empty especially the ammo. Oh yeah there was some social distancing waiting in line to pay. They even had to open another cashier station.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
kind of tired of people using the term "lockdown", unless they really are not allowed to leave their homes.

We are FAR from locked-down here in Virginia. I am not that affected by it, don't ever stand in lines or go to crowded venues of ANY kind anyway. Church meetings, held online for now. working from home every-other day. Glad to have a job!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think that there is still a long way to go before we actually know the hard facts of just how deadly this is. But I believe it is safe to say one thing..........those people who kept saying that it was no worse than a cold or the flu didn't have a frigging clue what they were talking about.

It's also too early to tell, but there is no doubt that our roaring economy is going to set back to a point from which it may not fully recover for years.

If it is ever proved that the damned Chinese were fully responsible for the spread of the corona virus, and I believe 100% they were, there needs to be some kind of a retaliation. They should not be allowed to get away with that they have done.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Tarquin
This well credentialed expert thinks it might be...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LjHam9NtzA

Then why are healthcare workers and hospitals being overwhelmed unlike anything since the Spanish Flu?

In most places they are not. Turn off the idiot box, it is filling your head full of poison, sewage, and misinformation.

I happen to be married to one of those health care workers, in one of the largest metro areas. So far, a big fat bupkis. They are sending health care workers home due to reduced demand, since all elective work is postponed and few patients want to be around THE GREAT FLIPPING PLAGUE!!!!!1111!!

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 224th, 222Sako, 50 invisible), 2,039 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,518
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.