Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No luck with Megansers I always do the cook on a plank recipe and then eat the plank. Rutty bucks never had one I had to throw away. A little funk to the sausage never bothered me but some women I know claim they can smell the after effects for a day or so with mixed impressions.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
BP-B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I eat does, give the buck meat to guys at work

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago, my BIL and I got 2 muley does in a late hunt, during the rut. It was near 0 and they were in 6" of snow. They both stunk so bad that we had to throw them out. Does don't get that hormone smell so I figured they must have been eating something to make them like that. I have no idea what it would be, though.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Roast it with some chilling sauce.

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
The Italian Sausage was OK.
Had a few tonight.

The summer sausage was very good, of course it's all gone.

I'll shoot a buck hopefully this yr, but will just get some summer sausage made and donate the rest.

Zip a doe by bow and cut it myself.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have managed to fix this before. Cut everything you have into relatively thin strips. Not jerky thin, but getting there. They can be big pieces they just can't be that thick.

Make up a brine in a tub--mix cold water with as much salt as the cold water will handle. You can throw some bay leaf in there, whatever spices you can spare

Brine the meat a few days in the fridge. It will actually go a long time in the brine without spoiling, probably over a week. Keep testing--you'll be able to tell when the funk is pulled out.

This really will pull the funk out.

You may want to rinse the brine off but what you'll be left with is lightly salted meat that you can grind or cook however. If you freeze the meat after you grind it just mark that it's been salted or brined.

This has always worked for me and doesn't require a lot of expensive flavors or marinades. Only downside is you have to remember not to add salt to the meat when you cook it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wink_man
Same thing happened to me back in 1984. Near as I can figure, processor cut through the hock glands when skinning and didn't clean his hands.

EVERY cut of meat from that deer stunk, couldn't eat it.

Started butchering my deer myself after that, and never had an issue.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
This is one of the reasons I’ve gone to hunting the muzzleloader season. We have used an overnight buttermilk soak and then slow cooking with tomatoes and chili seasoning. Serve with cornbread and stout beer.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I suspect he was not kept cool enough at the processor especially before being skinned if he wasn't immediately skinned. Also, sometimes processors take in so many deer they hang very close together, for how long? In a confined room (cooler). They could absorb transferred smells from deer that were run, not cooled quickly etc.

Is it your deer? Hard to tell. Sometimes all deer are processed at the same time, especially ground. Mix up of which belongs to whom?

I remember a steer my parents raised for our own use. The fatted calf was shot, skinned, gutted and hung in very cold weather. We had to hang it in the unused milk house. It still was too cold. Stoked a coal fire in the wood burning stove. Not only was that damn thing on the tough side, but I swear it tasted of coal ashes. I could barely eat it. Of course all these years later my mother says it was my imagination, the meat was fine. I was glad to see the end of that critter.

Last edited by AB2506; 04/01/20.
H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
The processor is a major operation, kinda like a "disassembly plant".
They bone everything out and vacuum seal. Had dozens done there, came out fine.

I've done my own, and used another processor too, with good results.

Think it was just this deer.

Way back I shot a buck w recurve, spined, Snuffer sticking dead center in vert. Asked to have that back.
Picked up deer, it wasn't there (receipt had it noted). Owner blew me chit like I was blind and I didn't go back for a decade.

Went back in 2015 and they fugged up, ground whole deer. 2019 I wasn't thrilled to go there, but deer were in buds truck and he likes that place.
Dunno if buck was stinky (he was pretty rank laying in the woods) or the processor fugged up.

I'll just go back to cutting my own.

Bought a diff place and garage is smaller, and full of the ol lady's crap. I'll call a dumpster a month before season and make room for butchering.

Last edited by hookeye; 04/01/20.
IC B3

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
It was a cold day, uncomfortably.
Deer was done in field without issue, delivered without issue and the place is like a factory.
They don't fugg around.

Hell I was freezing just doing the paperwork there.

It is drive through drop off, LOL, and 2nd day of gun season, the line wasn't long.
Years ago I saw the trucks, lined up off the property and down the road.

Think they were handling the amount OK that day, should not have had a problem.

I'm no fan of the place, they p*ssed me off twice (their brats and summer sausage however are VERY good).
They aint the cheapest either.
And some distance away.

I suspect it was the deer and not them.

Will cut my own this yr, and zap a doe in early bow smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There are a number of causes of "strong" smelling/tasting game meat. (Of course, for real outdoorsmen, this condition is desireable.)
Among the chief culprits:
Use of ethanol-blended gas when transporting the animal.
Use of a FRAM filter in the transporting vehicle.
A bad ground.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
5sdad,

There is a little town in your state named “Templeton”. That town produces some fine, fine brown liquor from a small grain called “rye”. Ya’all wouldn’t have been sampling some of that now would you??

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
5sdad,

There is a little town in your state named “Templeton”. That town produces some fine, fine brown liquor from a small grain called “rye”. Ya’all wouldn’t have been sampling some of that now would you??

Nah, although that sounds good. I just try to tie all of the 'fire's traditional values in where I can. wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
good to know your meat didn’t go to waste....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I always kept my meat in an ice chest for a couple of days with the drain plug out. Just keep dumping more ice inside it as it melts. Always worked for me, I process my self anyways, so I don't know if this is an option for you. Killed some pretty stanky buck and hogs, never had one smell bad when cooking it.

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We do the keep on ice thing for 7-10 days. We have had both pigs and deer stink when cooking. All game goes to the test sniff now. If it has that strong musk, its done away with, IE we aren't going to eat it.

That said I've shot old rutty bucks and old boars and sows that didn't smell a bit really and were fine to eat. I"ve had to donate or get rid of 50 pound piglets and 2.5 year old deer.

Could be something like my one nephew... that boy has hormones even at 30. I stink when I sweat, he will run you out...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
733 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 16penny, 77 invisible), 2,966 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,467
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.