Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Going to have to shoot left handed for at least this year. Want advise on a good ambidextrous bench.
One that would resalable I hope.
Haven't needed a bench in a long time could search the web which I will do but trust the people on hear.
Thanks
Brad

MOLON LABE
BP-B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
They had a thread, maybe in long range hunting. Had some really nice ones. Some even had what looks like boat tires and a trailer hitch (seems like slumlord of all people had that one)... I'll give it some thought, try to track it down, been quite a while back.... Probably so far back it will just be a bunch of pictures that photobucket won't show.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
build yer own......

B
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22
build yer own......

? How many women have told you the same ?

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Years ago Rick Jamison had plans to build your own. Fairly easy & portable. You can probably google his plans.

"not too grumpy"
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
A metal folding-leg sawhorse, a scrap of 3/4 inch plywood, a few bolts from the junk drawer or hardware store, and an hour or so with a jigsaw and a drill for the bolt holes, and you're done. When no longer needed, remove the plywood and you still have yourself a sawhorse.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check out Knothole Designs, www.knotholedesigns.com. I love the one I have, and it's available in left hand. I bought mine when the maker was at a gunshow in eastern Montana, but since then he has a good website, pictures and specs.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Not too hard, can be made ambidextrous if you like. We used a double layer of 3/4 inc good plywood, and mounted the legs with Iron pipe flanges from Fleet Farm. The trick is to use hardwood blocks you saw diagonally to achieve a 15 degree angle for the legs. mount to bench, and mount flanges to block. Might want to cap the bottom of the pipe to keep dirt out. 1 & 1/4 inch is good but you can use one inch if you want..

If you have a welder pal you can make leg mounts with flat stock and pipe nipples sawed at the 15 degree angle.

My nest bench is going to be made so I can shoot in a standing position.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
flipped my right handed one. Will carry 2 when my shooting pard or my son go with.

MOLON LABE
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
built this for my own use, towable has storage and a 8 ft sun umbrella for when shooting in sun.. umbrella is stored in 6 in pvc tube on side. Still need to get new tires and paint fenders.. 1 pic of bench unfinished.

https://imgur.com/a/YFh5vmC

Making black powder smoke is a great thing..
IC B3

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by halfmile
Not too hard, can be made ambidextrous if you like. We used a double layer of 3/4 inc good plywood, and mounted the legs with Iron pipe flanges from Fleet Farm. The trick is to use hardwood blocks you saw diagonally to achieve a 15 degree angle for the legs. mount to bench, and mount flanges to block. Might want to cap the bottom of the pipe to keep dirt out. 1 & 1/4 inch is good but you can use one inch if you want..

If you have a welder pal you can make leg mounts with flat stock and pipe nipples sawed at the 15 degree angle.

Originally Posted by halfmile

Virtually all of the many LR hunters in PA use a portable bench for shooting at animals.
A major reason is the steep and often rough terrain isnt conducive to good prone positions.
That coupled with the fact that most of us just plain shoot better from a bench.
Many of us have found that a light weight aluminum angle frame of say 16”x32” covered with a single layer of 5/8”
plywood is as good as a double layer of 3/4” and lighter. No need for left or right, just radius the back end.
Leg dimensions are fine as stated, but by using aluminum electrical conduit in lieu of pipe, considerable weight is saved. Use the aluminum couplings as mentioned for welding in the corners of the frame for screwing the legs in place. 3 legs are enough and saves weight, but more solid with the single leg in front. As low to the ground as possible is best for stability, many of us shoot from our knees to keep it lower and faster responce time. just keep a small pc of carpet for kneeling on. Raising the bench high enough to stand, requires bracing the legs which some guys do.
My bench has 4 legs and weighs about 20 #. i have a sling attached to it for carrying broken down to distant hunting locations.
But, and actually there are no buts about it, from the standpoint of speed, as in getting shots off quickly with good enough accuracy for most long range situations, one of the good, with the emphasis on good, shooting tripods is a valid replacement for a bench for long range hunting. Gun weight and bulk is a factor, but 15 # plus guns on the good ones work fine. Check out The Ultimate Tripod, made in Pa, or the Lone Star made in Texas.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Wife bought me one of these Caldwell portable benches from Midway a few years ago. It's not bad. No, it's not rock solid, but not bad either. Sets up fast, not too expensive, very adjustable. I think about $150 or so.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
These are the bees knees for shooting vermin all day.

https://www.amazon.com/Muddy-Swivel...ting+bench&qid=1586458812&sr=8-8

The Caldwell that MM posted is probably just as good if not better. Just be sure it swivels. And use real bags. Dump the stick.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave

The Caldwell that MM posted is probably just as good if not better. Just be sure it swivels. And use real bags. Dump the stick.

Fück that Chinese made shït.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
More than $150, but still under $200.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015046882?pid=522717

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by huntsman22
build yer own......

^^^This^^*

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Here is one that I built, and it is rock solid. Lonny, on this site, made the threaded leg brackets. The rest, I took care of in my shop.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5mPh5RFuR9aq2EiV8

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have used the Black & Decker Workmate for years for P Dog shooting. I have used other portable benches but none work as well.

I put a 2x6 in the area between the jaws and tighten it up . A 4 or 5 ft length works about right for me.

There are several models from heavy to light. I have used all and I like the light model the best as it is easier to load in the PU or move.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by deflave

Fück that Chinese made shït.

I'm pretty sure I've spent more time on a prairie dog town than you have.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
More than $150, but still under $200.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015046882?pid=522717

That looks like a solid varmint table.

Anything that doesn't swivel doesn't deserve a second glance.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 14 invisible), 1,755 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,701
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.