Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Bristoe is having more fun than me. Good on ya.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
BP-B2

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Since this thread is about low cost things that work, I might as well plug this Chinese 4X32 scope.

I've seen this same scope wearing three different brands. I bought one many years ago that was branded Simmons. I've also seen it wearing the Nikko Stirling brand. Now, it seems that Barska is putting their name on them.

I'm not saying that it's a fantastic scope. But they're much better than you would expect for the money.

I put one on a Kel-Tec SU-16 a few years ago just to see what the rifle would do. I'll probably replace it eventually. But I like it enough that I hate to change it out. I've got it all squared up and dialed in,..and every time I look through it I'm impressed with its clarity.

I wouldn't want to go to war with it. But this scope and the $11 rings I mentioned earlier is a huge improvement over open sights for about $55.

I've fired hundreds of rounds through 2 different .223s with this scope and I haven't rattled it loose yet. It's surprisingly clear, it hasn't fogged up, and it holds zero.

As mentioned, I put a Weaver V3 on the Marlin .22 in this thread. I paid about $150 for the Weaver and I can't say that I like it any better than the 4X32 Chinese scope.

I'd bet that it would last a long time on a .22 if you didn't bang it around too much.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/barska-4x32-huntmaster-riflescope-30-30-reticle-1-4-moa-w-rings.html

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Minute of Squirrel right there

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Since this thread is about low cost things that work, I might as well plug this Chinese 4X32 scope.

I've seen this same scope wearing three different brands. I bought one many years ago that was branded Simmons. I've also seen it wearing the Nikko Stirling brand. Now, it seems that Barska is putting their name on them.

I'm not saying that it's a fantastic scope. But they're much better than you would expect for the money.

I put one on a Kel-Tec SU-16 a few years ago just to see what the rifle would do. I'll probably replace it eventually. But I like it enough that I hate to change it out. I've got it all squared up and dialed in,..and every time I look through it I'm impressed with its clarity.

I wouldn't want to go to war with it. But this scope and the $11 rings I mentioned earlier is a huge improvement over open sights for about $55.

I've fired hundreds of rounds through 2 different .223s with this scope and I haven't rattled it loose yet. It's surprisingly clear, it hasn't fogged up, and it holds zero.

As mentioned, I put a Weaver V3 on the Marlin .22 in this thread. I paid about $150 for the Weaver and I can't say that I like it any better than the 4X32 Chinese scope.

I'd bet that it would last a long time on a .22 if you didn't bang it around too much.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/barska-4x32-huntmaster-riflescope-30-30-reticle-1-4-moa-w-rings.html

‘Scuse my ignorance, will those rings in the Barska package deal fit a .22? They look like they must.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

‘Scuse my ignorance, will those rings in the Barska package deal fit a .22? They look like they must.

I don't know. European .22's and air rifles have 11mm dovetails. Your Marlin has a 3/8" dovetail.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That'll work!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It deserves a scope. For bargain basement rings, I'm fairly impressed with these.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/ncstar-hunter-series-riflescope-rings.html

Nice! I’ve had mixed luck buying uber cheap rings. One set I bought were made of some sort of cast alloy that was ridiculously soft. Unusable junk. Another set is still on an AR and has been fine.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good shooting Bristoe. That’s been my experience as well with the many Marlin .22 semiautomatic rifles I’ve owned over the years.
As good or better than any out of the box 10-22 I’ve owned too.

I picked up a “spare” Stainless Model 60 Marlin .22 at my LGS a few days ago. Thought I’d make it a truck gun for the Ranch. Might have to give one of those cheap scopes you recommended a try.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 03/31/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B

I don't know. European .22's and air rifles have 11mm dovetails. Your Marlin has a 3/8" dovetail.

After looking again at the rings, they appear to be made for a Weaver rail. They won't fit.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tks, I sent off for the NcStar rings you linked.

Only ever scoped one rifle and that was a Scout Scope on a Marlin 336, still sits in my safe.

Obviously I need to learn about rings, I’ll dick around with these and worry about a scope later.

In the meantime I got no problem with that .22 as is. Deadly on aluminum cans and prob’ly minute-of-human even with those sights well beyond 50 yards in a SHTF scenario. Nobody wants to get shot, even with a .22.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Do it again at 50 and get back to us. 25 yards is for handguns. 50 is the starting point for rifles.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
CCI Stingers are hard to beat for killing varmints, IMO.

Guess they’ll have to work if SHTF too. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Papag
Do it again at 50 and get back to us. 25 yards is for handguns. 50 is the starting point for rifles.

Not for squirrels, snakes, and skunks Herat the Ranch.

I’ll pull out my old Marlin Bolt Action .22 Mag if I need a 50 or 100 yard pest killer. And if need be, a .223.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tks, I sent off for the NcStar rings you linked.

Only ever scoped one rifle and that was a Scout Scope on a Marlin 336, still sits in my safe.

Obviously I need to learn about rings, I’ll dick around with these and worry about a scope later.

In the meantime I got no problem with that .22 as is. Deadly on aluminum cans and prob’ly minute-of-human even with those sights well beyond 50 yards in a SHTF scenario. Nobody wants to get shot, even with a .22.

Mike, here’s a pretty good deal on a cheap Bushnell:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/bushnell-a17-3-5-10x36mm-matte-rimfire-scope.html#.XoQJkhROnDs

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I think you'll like those rings. They do what scope rings are supposed to do and the machining on them is smooth.

I started looking over the net for basic 3/8" rings and stumbled across those for $11. I figured if they were junk I'd just buy another pair. But they work very well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Next time I'm out at the barn I'm gonna spray mine down with RemOil and check and make sure the two mags are loaded full up. I know right where the brick is on the shelf out there, which is better than some of my ammo I just caint find.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I ordered 2 more mags for mine today. They're hard to find. Everybody is sold out. Those 795's seem to be getting popular and I guess everybody wants extra mags for them.

I finally found a 2 pack of them on ebay.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think I have two regular mags and one or two Butler Creek or some such, extended mags, like a 10-22.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
What made you choose the 795 over the Model 60? Is it because you prefer the box magazine over the tube mag?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Try some CCI velocitors.
They got a really long bearing surface and have excellent accuracy in alot of .22 rifles i have shot.

Small game bullet is great also.

Surprisingly the blazer is really really accurate

Over the years CCI ammo to me has out shot most other american brands.

Those are good groups
Tree rat head shot stuff for sure

I love gravity when it happens to tree rats.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
385 members (204guy, 280shooter, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 47 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,595
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.