Print Thread
Hop To
V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
I dont have muzzle loader but I might get one soon ! I finished reading Samuel Hearns trip to the Coppermine river from Hudson Bay Churchill post . They burned a lot of powder ! Anyone here know if they only used smooth bores ? They carried lots of shot and balls too ? Would they have used some fowling pieces too or just used the trade guns ? It is a great book 1773

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
― Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ
GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Not familiar with that story, but I would speculate that due to the location, they probably used a lot of smoothbore trade guns with both shot and ball. They were by far the most popular and famous firearm in that area.

Typically, the Hudson Bay company Northwest Trade Gun. As I said, just speculation on my part.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
In Canada these were the go to gun during those fur trade days for redman and whiteman alike. Probably the most and longest used firearm in north American. From Rio Grande to Artic circle. If I were a betting man, I would put my money on these guns as the ones they were using. Naturally there were other firearms available, and they were used (military guns for instance) but these were the most common.

http://thefurtrapper.com/home/indian-trade-guns/

Founder

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, for the time and location you cant go wrong with a North West Trade Gun.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
Thanks for the replies . How would you get unfired shot from the trade gun if you needed to use a ball ?

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Either shoot it, or use a steel worm and worm it out. Isn’t difficult at all. I’ve even used my ball puller to pull felt wad and shot kinda rolls out. Use the Worm to out old powder charge.

Founder

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pull the over shot card with a worm and pour the shot into a solo cup.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
You can see by my question that I am clueless as to the muzzle loaders ! Thanks for the help

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A lot of information that may interest you here:

http://traditionalmuzzleloader.com/

Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
I am probably going to get some type of smooth bore or maybe a fowling piece either way it will be a flintlock .I am left handed and that will cause me to make some changes (glasses ) Thank you for your help.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by verns
I am probably going to get some type of smooth bore or maybe a fowling piece either way it will be a flintlock .I am left handed and that will cause me to make some changes (glasses ) Thank you for your help.

I have been firing a flintlock for close to 55 years and never did get used to the "flash in the pan"!
can't imagine shooting a right handed flinter lefthanded.
just flashed in my minds eye when I read your post.
you go ahead and get a smoothbore. a rifle will soon follow it home. then another etc etc
blackpowder is a most addictive substance. and the look and feel of a long rifle has no equal. addicted.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
I better check on LH flintlocks .Thank You

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Chief's Grade Trade Guns were originally available in left hand. These are patterned after an English fowler. As far as I know it was the only left hand option available at the time. Mine is right hand and I like it very much.

Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
PDS how much shot do you use in yours?

V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
I think I would only get a LH flint or nothing .Thanks for your help DS and PDS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by verns
PDS how much shot do you use in yours?

1 & 1/8 ounce mostly. But I have loaded 1 & 1/4. But it's best to check patterns, 7/8 ounce or 1 ounce may pattern best.
I also tend to shoot smaller size shot than most. #9 for clays and birds, 7 1/2 or 6 for turkey.

Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

641 members (1badf350, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,315
Posts18,449,250
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.