GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
link apparently won't copy-paste

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Originally Posted by slumlord
I thought we was having one here, but it was just some beagle hounds that chased a rabbit up up under the trailer

Beagles aren't real hounds. They're toothless miniatures.

Really?

I gotta get some peanut butter

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 700LH
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/

If anyone knows where Cape Horn is on Hwy 21 between Stanley and Lowman it was approximately centered 5 miles north of Cape Horn

Yes. We sometimes use the Cape Horn turnoff to access Deadwood Res. Stanley must have gotten a pretty good shake.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I told my wife it was the wind lol. Eventually I looked out the window and the trees weren't moving and oooohh [bleep]

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not talking about finger nippers. I'm talkin about pullin bear hair. Same reason weiner dogs ain't used on hogs.

Them lap dogs are fun and all; but when it gets real, ya need a dog.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by irfubar
Where you at ? we just had a mild one in the Flathead

Between the A and the T

Even birds know not to land downwind!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Very strong here in Florence shook my house pretty good. Walls looked like waves of paper.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
For anyone interested, this is a good link to all earthquake activity worldwide! Date, time, and magnitude. It’s pretty interesting to see how active some areas are! memtb

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/

Last edited by memtb; 03/31/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I am about 40 air miles from the epicenter of todays quake I was in the basement and the floor felt as though it was rippling there was a bit of wall movement and a lamp swayed some, a quick inventory did not show any apparent structure damage but I will take a better look tomorrow.

For anyone who may be familiar with the area it appears that the epicenter was in the Cape Horn area, my best guess would be somewhere near Sheep Mountain there is not a lot around there to be damaged unless it caused some landslides or slid in some backcountry roads which are not open this time of year anyway. That area is about 10 air miles west of Stanley and perhaps 5 miles north.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wondering, any fracking in that area? Aren't earthquakes kind of rare in Idaho?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No fracking. Oil has never been found in Idaho. It's just a natural phenomenon.

This is Highway 21 near Lowman. The only damage I've seen reported is stuff like this, no buildings.
[Linked Image from bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We either didn't feel it down here in Ogden or I slept through it - which is likely.

No oil in Idaho. If you drilled there, you'd hit lava. And that's no joke.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The news says it was felt in Salt Lake. Another thread here said they felt it in Calgary. This this was wide spread.

Southern Idaho is very volcanic. The lava beds cover 1000's of square miles and go deep. They figure that the hot spot that's under Yellowstone was under so. Idaho before the No. American tectonic plate moved west. What would happen if you got a bazillion gallons of raw oil up to volcano hot?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
... or I slept through it - which is likely.

I can recall twice in my life being awakened by earthquakes that were slamming me into the wall that the bed was up against, once in the Philippines around 1970 and once in Northern New York, up on the Canadian Border, in the early '80's, probably '81 or '82.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by drover
I am about 40 air miles from the epicenter of todays quake I was in the basement and the floor felt as though it was rippling there was a bit of wall movement and a lamp swayed some, a quick inventory did not show any apparent structure damage but I will take a better look tomorrow.

For anyone who may be familiar with the area it appears that the epicenter was in the Cape Horn area, my best guess would be somewhere near Sheep Mountain there is not a lot around there to be damaged unless it caused some landslides or slid in some backcountry roads which are not open this time of year anyway. That area is about 10 air miles west of Stanley and perhaps 5 miles north.

drover

I'm in Twin Falls, 100 miles south. Similar experience for me. In the basement loading shells, felt like someone was shaking my chair back and forth, concrete floor felt like it waved. Looked up and the walls and shelves were moving. Went up stairs and the chandelier was really moving, wife was freaked out. Pretty crazy. Niece in Pocatello said they felt it, Daughter in Boise and Aunt in Sandpoint all were on Facebook talking about it within minutes. Saw where it was estimated to be about a 5 by the time it got down here. Pretty serious shake.

I remember the Borah quake in 1983 also. This one felt very similar, chandelier swaying, walls and floor shaking. That one was in the morning though. Pretty spooky.

Last edited by centershot; 04/01/20.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

393 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 1OntarioJim, 47 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,119
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.