Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've aquired a 3-12x BSA Sweet 17 on a used 22 rifle.
As I understand the theory behind the scope the adjustments are set up for 17HMR. The problem is I don't want and will never own a sub calibre rifle. So, is this scope acceptable for 22lr use? Are there any centerfire rifles it could be used only
Thinking of sending it down the road, but it seems like a nice entry level scope. I've got a good 10-22 that could use it....
What are y'alls thoughts???

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
BP-B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
It doesn’t stand for best scope around. I’d send it down the road. No doubt it would work on the 10/22 but there are better choices.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I agree with Ky221. Also, I'm not sure what it will bring but ebay is a place it might get some action.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The trouble with eBay is it costs the advantage seller 15% to sell including being forced to use pay pal.
If I decide to sell I'll list it here first.
My only problem with it is the weight.
I'll post this afternoon here at $65 shipped.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I believe the technical term for BSA scopes in Quebec is "la Piece de la Chinae Junque"..

BSA Scopes should change their brand name to POS Scopes...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I hear you. I've got another one that came on a rifle. I installed it on my Encore 223. It works great. The only issue as with all inexpensive scopes is the quality of the glass. However, when compared to old Weavers from the forties through the sixties they're really nice.
This one is heavy, just like the old Weavers, and it's not even steel.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've scrapped a few that came my way... and the reason I scrapped them...

they didn't hold up and were heavy.. so you'd think that would mean they were tougher..

and I am far from a scope snob....

I have plenty of tascos....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You're right about the heavy part........ Probably also about the holding up part.....

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Friends don't let friends buy BSA scopes........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Friends don't let friends buy BSA scopes........

Yeah, dont sell it to anyone you know or like.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
John Boy: Good luck with your sale - personally I have seen/encountered just absolutely horrible experiences with the BSA line of scopes.
I have never and would never buy a new BSA scope - nor would I ever again buy a used BSA scope.
I could go on and on about the terrible quality and performance issues my friends have had with all manner of BSA scopes.
The few I have bought at "throw-away" prices on the used market were just plain NO GOOD.
I have one BSA scope downstairs in my gun vault room that was GIVEN to me - it was bought by a big game Hunting partner of mine and he put it in his den to mount up on his sons Varmint Rifle.
Three or four months later he got around to mounting the scope and the "finish" on that brand new scope had turned to a very sticky and very uniform tar! I mean it would stick in ones hands!
I tried to resist his gifting it to me and tried to persuade him to "return" the scope to the sporting goods store he had bought it from but he had misplaced the receipt and the store is 105 miles distant.
So I have it - its sitting (sticking!) in its factory box absolutely useless.
Many years ago I bought a Rifle that came with a 36 power BSA scope on it - I turned the Rifle for a profit but decided on a whim to try to put the 36 power BSA to use as a temporary scope on Rifles I buy, to "test" for accuracy potential.
I will say this it has worked in that regard pretty well on maybe 10 different Rifles I have used it on.
Mind you I just put the scope on used Rifles make some handloads and fire the Rifle to get an indication on its accuracy potential. No long term or field use.
This scope has done that simple task fine for me - I will grant that.
But again money spent on BSA scopes, IME and IMO, can be much "better spent" elsewhere.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I got a used one at a pawn shop to put on my pellet gun. A Ruger Blackhawk Elite .177 caliber. It looks the part.
20190903_205139~4.jpg 799 x 133

I took the turret off and just use the 1/4 click. Works ok but the shock from the springer knocked the AO ring loose and it pops off now and then.

Last edited by DollarShort; 04/01/20.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
😂 headed for flea bay 😂 thanks guys.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am simply amazed how my nice used rifles I see that have a BSA mounted on them. I know not everybody is as avid about this stuff as I am or even some members of this forum; but, it still amazes me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
A friend of mine tried one, says that BSA stands for Been Screwed Again. He will have nothing to do with them.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've got two that came on rifle purchases. The 4-12x Classic is on a 223 and seems to work fine. The problem I see with the sweet 17 is that it's grossly overweight...... It seems twice the weight of the classic.
Would I deliberately buy one? No.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I put one on a 7mm STW.

Lasted for about 500 rounds until the prisms started moving with every pull of the trigger.

Replaced it with a Leupold. End of problems.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 04/10/20.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I remember reading years ago on here or some other forum about a professional guide who took a bunch of BSA executives on some sort of big game hunt; said execs all showed up to a man with rifles wearing Leupold scopes laugh

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
saw one of the rack at a local gunshop/pawn shop...

was on a Remington in 300 Win Mag...

I am sure it worked great for ONE shot... then the owner traded it in, because the gun was not accurate...
Southern Oregon Trailer Park logic...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
saw one of the rack at a local gunshop/pawn shop...

was on a Remington in 300 Win Mag...

I am sure it worked great for ONE shot... then the owner traded it in, because the gun was not accurate...
Southern Oregon Trailer Park logic...

LOL. That's gold!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
281 members (007FJ, 160user, 222Sako, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 1,972 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,812
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.