Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Can't say I see that around here. I hardly go out and it seems that nobody else does, either.

On the very few occasions that I've gone out lately the 4 or 5 people (total) that I've interacted with have been typical, friendly, rural Kentuckians.

This has been my observation, as well. Plus, every driver I see waves now, like I'm carrying a load of toilet paper.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
kamo gari:
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope that other than the trevails we are all slogging through at present that this finds you and yours well.

As it happens, because of the situation we're in, I've made a point to check in with a good number of my friends to make sure they and their families are well and to see if there's anything they need that I might be able to do other than pray for them.

One of them this past week is a buddy who is LEO - Vancouver PD - who reported that things are quite quiet so far.

We chatted about family, hunting, the horrible canoeing accident I had last fall where all my firearms were lost - stuff like that and then both of us brought up the Vancouver Riot which he'd been at the very center of. Very vividly I recall him describing mobs throwing bricks. bottles and other projectiles at the LEO who were planted on downtown Vancouver streets and told, "try your best to hold them back"..... crazy

It does us all well to recall that the west coast Canucks, world renown for being green leaning pacifistic stoners, rioted because a hockey game was lost.

The rationale behind me saying this is not in any way, shape or remote form attempting to instill more fear or panic into anyone, may I please be clear on that issue.

More so, it's a plea for you and any other gentle readers here to be extremely vigilant in this uncertain and trying time. Folks can be funny sometimes and sometimes they can be absolutely feral - just ask my buddy.

All the best to you all my cyber friend, stay well and safe.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Food for thought gari. Not seeing the anxiety here in the fly over ...yet.
North Louisiana rural people are heavily armed. Ever been to Goldonna, La.? Probably going to stay fairly polite and law abiding, to the extent that the underclass won't start preying on the neighbors.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ever been to Goldonna, La.?

I don't recall that one, but I have been to Ida, and Rodessa. smile miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
...and a Sig P220 in .45 ACP in his belt ...

Ah, an excellent vintage.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
...that numbers of property crime/theft/assaults/violence and whatnot will begin to increase? In what is admittedly but a casual, completely non-scientific personal series of observations on my part, I've noticed in my travels locally that people are behaving more and more aggressively, if in ways that are only slightly, if definitively perceptible--in my opinion only, of course. I believe I have definitely observed more instances of impatient shytheadery in simple things relating to drivers, dog walkers, cashiers and delivery people. I've noticed an increase IMO in some difficult to define--but present nonetheless--instances of increased sour and suspicious looks, argumentativeness and general, I dunno', distrust.

My personal feeling is that as long as the big three are readily available--food/water, electricity and heat-- things will be OK and the streets aren't likely to start running red. Take away any of those and I could easily see where things go to shyt right quick. I have a class A, so called 'high capacity' state issued license to carry concealed firearms. As the liberal ivory midden I normally work at would relieve me of my position were I caught carrying OTJ, I don't (allegedly) normally do so while working, but now that I am an employee working 'remotely', I don't leave the house unarmed, ever. My wife has never been anti-gun, and has been shown how to load and use every firearm in the house to proper effect, but it surprised me when last week or so she started asking me every time we were getting ready to leave the house, 'kenju arimasu-ka, daddy?' Translation: 'do you have a jammy on you, daddy?'

Interesting times continue.

All the pawn shops are open here. For the crackheads
its business as usual.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Texczech
...that numbers of property crime/theft/assaults/violence and whatnot will begin to increase? In what is admittedly but a casual, completely non-scientific personal series of observations on my part, I've noticed in my travels locally that people are behaving more and more aggressively, if in ways that are only slightly, if definitively perceptible--in my opinion only, of course. I believe I have definitely observed more instances of impatient shytheadery in simple things relating to drivers, dog walkers, cashiers and delivery people. I've noticed an increase IMO in some difficult to define--but present nonetheless--instances of increased sour and suspicious looks, argumentativeness and general, I dunno', distrust.

My personal feeling is that as long as the big three are readily available--food/water, electricity and heat-- things will be OK and the streets aren't likely to start running red. Take away any of those and I could easily see where things go to shyt right quick. I have a class A, so called 'high capacity' state issued license to carry concealed firearms. As the liberal ivory midden I normally work at would relieve me of my position were I caught carrying OTJ, I don't (allegedly) normally do so while working, but now that I am an employee working 'remotely', I don't leave the house unarmed, ever. My wife has never been anti-gun, and has been shown how to load and use every firearm in the house to proper effect, but it surprised me when last week or so she started asking me every time we were getting ready to leave the house, 'kenju arimasu-ka, daddy?' Translation: 'do you have a jammy on you, daddy?'

its business as usual.

Our pawn shops suck. Never found a deal on anything in them. I mean they have stuff, beat to hell and for about 50 cents less than new. Try and negotiate and you might get it down to 75 cents off. Waste of time here.

Me

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by milespatton
Ever been to Goldonna, La.?

I don't recall that one, but I have been to Ida, and Rodessa. smile miles

I went through Goldonna...once. Ida and Rodessa aren't far away.

Maybe OT but I want for groceries this morning at WM. Still out of TP. Glad I didn't need it. No dried beans or corn meal either. Didn't need them either.

Surprise was face mask. Maybe 30% were wearing them . All were women.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I got a bit contemplative a couple weeks ago when I went to the grocery store at 3 in the afternoon on a Wednesday and it was super crowded. They had no paper products, the rice, beans, pasta, and canned goods shelves were empty, and there was very little meat in the case. Looks like they’ve calmed down now and the store was better stocked this last Saturday but still….

Living in the burbs of Dallas, I don’t like to think about what would happen if the vibrant community’s EBT cards turned out to be useless because there wasn’t enough food for them in the grocery stores. I haven’t started carrying a rifle in the truck yet but I did start carrying my CZ75 instead of the 1911 figuring the extra round count wouldn’t hurt nothing. If they do run out of food at the stores for any length of time, it’s probably gonna get a bit sporty around here.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by teal

its business as usual.

Our pawn shops suck. Never found a deal on anything in them. I mean they have stuff, beat to hell and for about 50 cents less than new. Try and negotiate and you might get it down to 75 cents off. Waste of time here.

We have 2 here that are operated by gun guys
They usually have a fair selection and.will deal with you. They also carry a good selection of old good tools.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So far, knock on wood, I’ve experienced the opposite L. It’s been eerily slow in my AO regarding the violent aspects of my profession.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by teal

its business as usual.

We have 2 here that are operated by gun guys
They usually have a fair selection and.will deal with you. They also carry a good selection of old good tools.
When I was a kid I used to love going to my Grandparents' house in Dallas. Very clean and nice place then, with the exception of downtown, but then, we never went to South Dallas. Skip forward a few years and I was living and working there. Not as nice. Mom would tell about when she was growing up and it was a small city about the size of Wichita. Now...I wouldn't live there. I'd need to be at least sixty miles from the outer edge, I think. It's just too big. If I HAD to live in a city, I'd prefer KC, Wichita, Tulsa or OKC to DFW. Tulsa would actually head my list. Stay safe.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mac84
So far, knock on wood, I’ve experienced the opposite L. It’s been eerily slow in my AO regarding the violent aspects of my profession.
Prayers sent. Stay safe Mac.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Decades ago I came here to SA to teach in an inner-city Hell like one of them movie teachers (and to chase Mexican girls of course).

Couldn't find Hell anywhere in this town, those who actually live on the South and West Sides know all we got here is inner-city lukewarm smile despite this being one of the largest poverty centers in America

Five NBA Championships, the whole town turning out to party each time and nary a single riot, not even a broken window.

9/11 and the whole town erupted in American flags.

There ain't anywhere in the World I've known where people care less about skin color than South Texas.

No surprise then in this exceptionally laid-back and friendly city that I ain't run into any hostility, mostly good-natured patience waiting on lines.

Of course I hope this continues.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks EE. You stay safe as well. That goes for everyone.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Four years ago pot was illegal here... now it is essential.

Alcohol is essential.

But schools are non-essential.

At least gun stores are essential.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The welfare/EBT system hasn’t been changed by the job losses or pandemic. If that ever goes down, then it will be time to get your helmet and game face on.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

How is your wife’s family faring in Japan?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Luckily my situation is 180 out from yours, Leighton. Just went for a walk with little man, cruising the various parks and school grounds. Most everyone we met was greeted with a hello, good morning, how are you, and so on. Most were walking their dogs or doing yard work. I venture out twice a week for physical therapy and an occasional grocery store stop, mostly the same with who I meet. Now, if EBT cards are shutoff, I expect a MUCH different atmosphere to rear its head.

All the best to you, A, and the four legged kids.

Sean
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 72 invisible), 2,936 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.