-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How hard is it for a private citizen in the US to get an FFL?

Here in Canada, all I need is a PAL to sell/send a firearm through the mail or FTF, but the buyer must have a current PAL as well.

Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL)

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mauser06
Originally Posted by Tico
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Is there a national database of reported stolen firearms, or are they more local in nature?

There is no national registry.

Maybe you misread the question. There sure is a national database for stolen items utilized by law enforcement agencies all over. Problem is, a large majority of gun owners can't give the police the serial #....the other issue, not so relevant to transfers, is stolen guns sometimes ends up with ground off serial #s.

Follow up question. Is there one available to FFL holders, like the one available to law enforcement agencies?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mull
Gun Shop Can Accept From Any One.. This Came Straight From ATF.. Some May Require a D.L. To Book In With. But Again Per ATF This IS Store's Policy, Not Theirs. And One AFT. Said Was Very Unnecessary..I Also Live In Small Town With Only 4-5 FFL Dealers. Most Act Like They Are Doing You a Huge Favor Doing A Transfer..And Most Wont Deal With A NoN FFL Shipment..But That's Their , Business, Just As It Mine To Do Business With Some One Who Will.. I Buy Nothing From These Business's .I've Had More Than One Tell Me, That Know One Needs To Be Selling Guns Except A Shop With FFL . Of course They'll Be Glad To Buy For $,30 On The Dollar Of Blue Book..

Among other things, an FFL holder is required to enter the name and address of the person who he/she receives a firearm from and the name and address of the person who he/she delivers a firearm to into his/her bound book records if the firearm isn't coming from or going to another FFL. I believe that it is in the dealer's best interest to have hard copy documentation for anyone who they do business with that show that those people are who they claim to be. It is called "due diligence" and provides authorities a place to go if there are ever any questions about who the firearm came from or who the firearm went to.

I don't do transfers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Here in Canada, all I need is a PAL to sell/send a firearm through the mail or FTF, but the buyer must have a current PAL as well.

It isn't hard to get an FFL, a routine background check by the FBI like anyone in the military has to pass to get a security clearance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by SuperCub

It isn't hard to get an FFL, a routine background check by the FBI like anyone in the military has to pass to get a security clearance.

Thanks ......... Do a lot of folks here on the Fire have an FFL?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BUT, big but, you have to pay like $600 a year to keep it.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by travelingman1

Deal breaker right there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here’s a question:

Why can’t I get “preapproved” to purchase whatever I want, full background check and all that crap, and have it delivered to my house?

Doesn’t the whole “fill out this paper” seem a little dated?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by aalf
When you live BFE, it's just not that easy to trot down the the local FFL dealer to ship a firearm.

Second, if I sell a gun, the buyer expects said gun to arrive in the condition that they bought it in. No way in hell I'm going to leave it up to the dealer to package and send off my gun. That way, it's me, and only me, that's responsible for the safe trip, and subsequent issues that may take place.

Points to ponder......Is the sending FFL going to foot the bill to return my gun to the condition it was given to him in case something happens in transit? Is he going to deal with the shipping company to make a claim? The buyer will want a full refund, should the owner be liable for that, for something that he had no hand in, or the FFL?

The seller sets the rules, if a buyer doesn't want to abide by them, move along......

Right on the money!!!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by travelingman1

Not true.

The renewal fee is $90 for three years, $30 per year, less than $0.10 per day.

I think that I paid $300 in 1990 to get my initial FFL and have have paid $90 every three years to renew it since then.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 16bore
Here’s a question:

Why can’t I get “preapproved” to purchase whatever I want, full background check and all that crap, and have it delivered to my house?

Doesn’t the whole “fill out this paper” seem a little dated?

I agree.

I think that there should be a Federal Firearms Purchase Permit (FFPP) that would allow any U.S. citizen who is allowed to own firearms to make retail purchases from anywhere in the 50 United States and have those firearms shipped directly to them. An FFPP wouldn't be applicable for wholesale purchases, those would need to go to a business with an FFL.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tico
Originally Posted by xtriangle
Aalf,

Points to ponder......Is the sending FFL going to foot the bill to return my gun to the condition it was given to him in case something happens in transit? Is he going to deal with the shipping company to make a claim? The buyer will want a full refund, should the owner be liable for that, for something that he had no hand in, or the FFL?
It is the buyers responsibility to inspect package and file claim with the shipping company not the sellers

The seller sets the rules, if a buyer doesn't want to abide by them, move along......[color:#FF0000]

Just like you not being negative.

It is the sellers responsibility to make the claim. It is the seller who pays for the insurance not the buyer. I say this from personal experience not second hand knowledge.

Tico is correct. This is a huge misnomer and a mistake many make. It is the obligation of the seller to get the firearm into the hands of the buyer or the buyer's agent (FFL). The long and the short of that is, from a legal standpoint, a firearm lost, stolen or damaged during shipping is on the seller, not the buyer. It may be the FAULT of the carrier; but, that is a fight for the seller, not the buyer. The exception to this is if by agreement of the parties. It always makes me want to cram a fork in my eye when I see a seller write, "insurance is at the buyer's expense". I think, if a buyer agrees to this, and buys without insuring, then the buyer has accepted the responsibility (risk) for any loss or damage that may occur during shipping. Having said that, said buyer would still need the seller to initiate any action on buyer's behalf; but, the seller is off the hook monetarily.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Not a lawyer, but Chief Finance Officer for longer than I will admit. The seller turns the item over to a common carrier and it is the carrier's responsibility to deliver. The seller has done his job. He can and does buy insurance for the buyer, but it is the buyer's property and the buyer has to file the claim.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
The last two times I had a problem with an item damaged in shipping the carrier made the person who shipped the package file the claim. One was as the shipper, the other as the buyer. In both cases they claimed the shipper is the one who deals with it as that was who started the deal. It may not be that way in corporate contracts but it has been my experience dealing with both UPS and the post office. The shipper files any claim.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not trying to pick a fight; but, this is not correct:

Originally Posted by crsides
The seller turns the item over to a common carrier and it is the carrier's responsibility to deliver. The seller has done his job.

This is partially correct in that it is the carrier's responsibility to deliver ON BEHALF of the seller. The seller has done part of his job (arguably most of his job).

He can and does buy insurance for the buyer,....

No. Unless he and the buyer have agreed otherwise, he has purchased insurance for himself. If lost or damaged, seller must file the claim for the insurance he purchased.

....but it is the buyer's property and the buyer has to file the claim.

It is not the buyer's property until the seller has delivered it. The carrier is in a bailment arrangement with the seller, not the buyer. Buyer can't file a claim. Seller must file a claim. He purchased the insurance. Arguably, the buyer can, through assistance from the seller and possession of the "insurance documentation", file the claim.

Generally speaking, absent a contract or goofy state law to the contrary, if the seller is a non-merchant (Joe Blow), risk of loss passes to the buyer when the seller tenders the goods to the buyer. When the buyer has provided the funds to the seller, he has successfully upheld his end of the bargain. Not until the buyer, or his agent (FFL), receives the item as agreed, has the seller fulfilled his obligation or his part of the agreement. He has a contract with the carrier to deliver the goods. If the carrier fails to do so, the seller is liable to the buyer and the carrier is liable to the seller. Only an agreement to the contrary changes that.

A nice little caveat to the above for those of us who sell quite a bit on forums such as this is, if the tracking says it was delivered and the buyer says it was not, the seller is "off the hook".

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

313 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 32 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,463
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.