Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
My dad and I have been going through my grandfather's guns after he passed away. He left them a wood/glass gun cabinet and pretty much all of them have some type of moisture damage to the stocks. Mostly white and clear haze type residue as you can see in the pictures. Is there an easy way to repair this?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by andymick32; 03/31/20.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looks super easy to fix with Formby's Furniture Refinisher... do not try to remove the finish, just move it around. It should soften the finish and make the surface smoother again. Adding a bit of oil-based varnish, even Tru-Oil should help quite a bit after the Formby's. Quick and easy.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Howards Restore-A-Finish will probably do it. It's quick and easy to use. Just follow their directions.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
What you're looking to do as suggested by the above posters is what woodworkers call a "solvent refinish", either of the products suggested will do this. Another product that I have used is Behlen's Qualarenu, it is available at woodworking stores and online. It produces excellent results and I can recommend it highly.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks guys

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The three mentioned solvent solutions are similar... Qualarenu is essentially the "hottest" solvent mix of the three and will work the fastest. And it will work. I find it takes finish off too fast and is more tempermental that way. Be careful if you go this route. It is a good product.

Howards is the tamest of the three and there are quite a few finishes it will not touch that the others will. If the finish in question is cut by it, it will work just fine.

Formby's is the middle of the road option and my favorite...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
A dealer friend once gave me a rare Newton rifle whose finish was severely alligatored from either being set to close to a woodstove or dried out too close to a campfire. I used Qualarenu to restore that stock, the results were astounding, The key to using this product is to apply sparingly, don't flood it on else you'll dissolve a lot of finish too quickly to spread it evenly. Formby's as Art suggests is a good product for someone doing a solvent refinish for the first time, it is more user friendly that Qualarenu and more readily available.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Anyone know who sells Fromby’s?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by andymick32

You may have trouble finding it if you spell it that way... wink

Formby's is found in most big box hardware stores... everywhere i have looked for it.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by andymick32

You may have trouble finding it if you spell it that way... wink

Formby's is found in most big box hardware stores... everywhere i have looked for it.

Ha, just a typo. I spelled it correctly when I googled it, but it didn't show a listing at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. I'll have to look around.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They carry it at both here?

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I went to Lowe's website and its not available at my local Lowe's. Shows that shipping is currently unavailable too. I don't have a Home Depot close by. I'll try Ace's Hardware next.

Thanks

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Only 16oz bottles I can even find on internet are on eBay.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 40 invisible), 1,786 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,614
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.