Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by TWR
I hate to post this but please understand, this is IMI M193 ammo out of a basically stock Colt 6720 chrome lined pencil barrel and all. 5 shots standing on my hind legs, 5 shots sitting with one elbow on one knee cause I can't get both elbows anchored and 5 shots prone using a 40 round MagPul mag as a monopod. It's a standard USPSA silhouette tagrget at 200 yards with said EOTech zeroed at 200 yards.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
This gun
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Crackheads beware

That's not horrid. All on target at 200 yards.

I'm guessing the offhand were the low shots?

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by local_dirt
EO-Tech 556 NV compatible is what all my house guns wear.

I have one Eotech 552.A65 NV compatible.

I like 'em LD, and what TWR said TRH, both eyes open shooting is king, plus, with a 36 yard zero in 5.56/223, 300 yard steel is also cake.

36 yards zero works out to a 200 yards zero with M193 out of a 20" barrel. When I was in, we used the 25 yard zero, with was close to a 250 yard zero.

Yes, I hold at 12 o'clock on 300 yard steel, bullet smacks 12-15 inches low, plenty close enough for crackhead work ; ]

gunner, I have never had a problem with mine. They had an offer a couple years ago to send them back for a full refund. I didn't.

I paid $347 for it 14 years ago BNIB off ebay. Still running fine.

10-4 LD, same/same here, I talked then refused to send mine in to warranty/refund guy too, never had a problem with any of them, it's not like they're a NightForce scope type aiming device, batt life and reticle clarity for what they are has been fine too.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, aim those damn scatterguns, my 11 shot 870 12ga has a little glowing green bead looking back at me, 20 pellets of #1 copper plated buck in a 2-3/4ths hull will leave a mark.

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by David_Walter
As Clint said, shoot it to see the pattern.

I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tired of people telling me about shotguns they've never shot for pattern.

And how the little woman doesn't need to shoot it. She'll know what to do in an "emergency" and how it makes a 2 foot hole in people.

I have patterned my shotgun at 10 and 20 yds. At 10 yd s with rem. 4 buck the bulk of the pattern in 12" with 2 or 3 pellets 5 to 6" high, and a couple pellets about the same low, hence my number of 2 .5' pattern. Maybe I should have been more specific.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by atse

I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tired of people telling me about shotguns they've never shot for pattern.

And how the little woman doesn't need to shoot it. She'll know what to do in an "emergency" and how it makes a 2 foot hole in people.

I have patterned my shotgun at 10 and 20 yds. At 10 yd s with rem. 4 buck the bulk of the pattern in 12" with 2 or 3 pellets 5 to 6" high, and a couple pellets about the same low, hence my number of 2 .5' pattern. Maybe I should have been more specific.

At about 25' I get about a 2.5' pattern with 4 buck. 27 pellets.

Did you mean to say you get a 30 inch pattern at 25 Yards?

How big is your house that you can take 25 yard shots going room to room?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

At about 25' I get about a 2.5' pattern with 4 buck. 27 pellets.

Did you mean to say you get a 30 inch pattern at 25 Yards?

How big is your house that you can take 25 yard shots going room to room?

Sorry for the typo. Meant 25 yds. The last time I patterned it at 20 yds , the majority of the pattern was in an 18 inch circle, with 2 or 3 pellets about 4" higher, and a couple of pelllets lower. Federal shells at 2 5 yds have a slightly tighter pattern, but not much. Neither shells have flight control wads, that is why the " fliers" I think. From my bedroom door to the front door is 38', which doesn't let the pattern open up alot, but would still be hard on someone in the hallway.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
MM, if I remember right, I thought the low shots were from sitting position. I actually didn't go check em till all shots were fired but I told my buddy I was pretty sure I kept dropping off the target from sitting position. Something about getting as comfortable as you can and knowing you're not on target but shooting anyway cause you know it's not gonna get any better...

Prone however was pretty solid when I switched to a 40 round mag for the extra height. Standing was just pressing the trigger as the dot started across the target. I have lot's of work to do.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by TWR
MM, if I remember right, I thought the low shots were from sitting position. I actually didn't go check em till all shots were fired but I told my buddy I was pretty sure I kept dropping off the target from sitting position. Something about getting as comfortable as you can and knowing you're not on target but shooting anyway cause you know it's not gonna get any better...

Prone however was pretty solid when I switched to a 40 round mag for the extra height. Standing was just pressing the trigger as the dot started across the target. I have lot's of work to do.

I hear ya. Offhand at 200 yards was always where I dropped most points on the USMC rifle requal range, where distances were 200, 300, and 500 yards.

Just like you, I would try to let the round fly as the front sight was crossing the black of the target.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
If your wife or child is being used as a shield and all you can see is the BGs head they may appreciate your being able to keep all shots w/in 6" at any distance available in your house. We don't get to dictate the circumstances. Just a thought to confuse the issue, standards exist for a reason.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR

LOL! Copy that! Those light little guns are harder to hit with, no doubt about it.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Maybe better than an AR.

How so?

A pattern out of a modified choke at 10' to 30 or 40' with 4 buck ( or bb s) leaves a little more room for error and still let's the shooter be successful in a high stress situation. A shot down the hallway will likely clear it. At about 25' I get about a 2.5' pattern with 4 buck. 27 pellets.

I wonder if some people are so familiar with an AR that they might be able to hit with it in a high stress situation? I wonder if an AR set up with a red dot and a flashlight might be very fast in target acquisition and firing a round? I guess if a man uses his shotgun more than his AR he should use a shotgun, and vice versa. Only thing I tend to forget is the round is going to land about 3.5 inches low at 10 feet.

Last edited by jimmyp; 03/31/20.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yessir widows peak hold with a dot up close.

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Maybe better than an AR.

How so?

A pattern out of a modified choke at 10' to 30 or 40' with 4 buck ( or bb s) leaves a little more room for error and still let's the shooter be successful in a high stress situation. A shot down the hallway will likely clear it. At about 25' I get about a 2.5' pattern with 4 buck. 27 pellets.

I wonder if some people are so familiar with an AR that they might be able to hit with it in a high stress situation? I wonder if an AR set up with a red dot and a flashlight might be very fast in target acquisition and firing a round? I guess if a man uses his shotgun more than his AR he should use a shotgun, and vice versa. Only thing I tend to forget is the round is going to land about 3.5 inches low at 10 feet.

I don't think there is a wrong answer here. You just need to be proficient with what you choose to use.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Maybe better than an AR.

How so?

I don't think there is a wrong answer here. You just need to be proficient with what you choose to use.

That is the real world bottom line. Many new/casual users don't understand shotgun patterns or offset w/ a red dot sight. Watching guys w/ ARs shooting the crap out of barricades in classes is a good lesson. This stuff isn't rocket science but actually proving it through practice is the only answer.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
25 feet my pattern with buckshot is about like an 8 inch paper plate. If it was almost 3 feet wide it could be a useful swarm.

What ammo( I know 4 buck) and what choke to get that wide a pattern at 8 steps. Heck the wads are dang near still with the shot at that range.

And at 10 feet, if you hit 3 inches low and don't kill, you have other problems.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This thread demonstrates everything I hate about shotguns.

First, we hear that a shotgun will "clear a hall". Well, at my house the hall is about 36" wide. Then we hear the shotgun pattern is actually 12" wide. That doesn't clear a hall. That doesn't even clear half a hall. That clears 2/3 of 1/2 of a hall.

So, you've gotta aim. And "not aiming" is the big benefit that everyone raves about with shotguns. Because they don't know what they're talking about.

If I'm gonna aim, I'm gonna aim the gun that's lighter, that's faster to shoot for follow up shots, that holds more ammunition, and that does all of that with nearly no recoil.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, aim those damn scatterguns, my 11 shot 870 12ga has a little glowing green bead looking back at me, 20 pellets of #1 copper plated buck in a 2-3/4ths hull will leave a mark.

Realizing fully this in an AR forum, but, this thread and a few posts therein caused me to go grab a cardboard box and my 12ga 870 house gun, I stepped off the absolute longest ranges I could take inside the house, one was 18 yards, the other 22 yards, so I split the difference and set the box at 20 yards.

The pattern from one shot of Winchester X12C1B put all 20 of the hardened copper plated #1 buckshot pellets in about a 10x12 inch pattern on the box, I have the modified choke tube in the shotgun for #1 buck, so damn right, we need to aim those shotguns too, a fun little back porch session this morning.

Hope some here can find the info useful. smile

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
FWIW, those round shotgun pellets deflect and ricochet a HELLUVA lot more than rifle and even handgun rounds, inside structures. Nothing ‘wrong’ with a shotgun in CQ, but it takes at least as much consideration and training to be effective as any other choice....not necessarily less.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Each buckshot pellet shares a reduced portion of the entire load's energy.
Rapid energy loss occurs through ejecta and poor coefficients.
Stopping power is a legitimate concern, as multiple pellet hits IS a requirement to achieve fast stops.
Aim is a must, and there must be control of the entire payload through proper choke/load combination. Testing.

Sectional density and available energy of a soft lead round ball/plated shot compared to a well designed rifle bullet, big differences.
Dependable, powerful results on target. Rifle.

Inside the house, I want the fight stopped as fast as possible.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
We used #4 buckshot in our shotguns at the embassies. Patterns were roughly 1" per yard. 10" at 10 yards, 15" at 15 yards, etc. 870's with cylinder bores.

The new Flite-Control and Versa-Tite wads are a game changer. Definitely needs to be patterned so you know what you are working with.

My cylinder bore 870 with the Hornady Critical Defense 00 Buck (8 pellets 1600 fps) patterns about 6" at 20 yards. That's with the Versa-Tite wad, same thing as Flite-Control I believe.

Exactly. 1" per yard, or 5 inches at 5 yards. Average size room in a house is 5-10 yards, i.e. 15-30 feet. Pattern is only 10" wide at 30 feet. Easy to miss if you are not aiming or proficient. May as well have a pistol with a MWL. Street sweepers are a complete misnomer inside a house.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 11point, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,955 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.