Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by J4Me
What made you choose the 795 over the Model 60? Is it because you prefer the box magazine over the tube mag?

Yeah,...but mostly because it appealed to my minimalist nature.

GB1

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by renegade50
Try some CCI velocitors.
They got a really long bearing surface and have excellent accuracy in alot of .22 rifles i have shot.

Small game bullet is great also.

Surprisingly the blazer is really really accurate

Over the years CCI ammo to me has out shot most other american brands.

Those are good groups
Tree rat head shot stuff for sure

I love gravity when it happens to tree rats.

Yeah,..I'm going to try lot of different ammo when I can find it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe
What made you choose the 795 over the Model 60? Is it because you prefer the box magazine over the tube mag?

To each is own. I got a Marlin Papoose (stainless takedown version of a Mod 60 with barrel that can be unscrewed) that I've never been able to warm up to, in part because of the 7 round mag. OTOH my cousin who is more like a brother had a tube-fed Glenfield bolt action when we was teenagers, feels to me like that is the way a .22 rifle is supposed to load.

The nephew who I took shooting this past weekend asked if he could do a "magazine dump"; by rapid trigger action he ripped off all fourteen rounds in that Mod 60 like it was on full-auto, accurately as well, massacred them cans grin

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Tks, I sent off for the NcStar rings you linked.

Only ever scoped one rifle and that was a Scout Scope on a Marlin 336, still sits in my safe.

Obviously I need to learn about rings, I’ll dick around with these and worry about a scope later.

In the meantime I got no problem with that .22 as is. Deadly on aluminum cans and prob’ly minute-of-human even with those sights well beyond 50 yards in a SHTF scenario. Nobody wants to get shot, even with a .22.

Mike, here’s a pretty good deal on a cheap Bushnell:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/bushnell-a17-3-5-10x36mm-matte-rimfire-scope.html#.XoQJkhROnDs

Tks, think I'm gonna hold out for a 1" scope, low power fixed or variable, 1-3 x 20 or such.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

To each is own. I got a Marlin Papoose (stainless takedown version of a Mod 60 with barrel that can be unscrewed) that I've never been able to warm up to, in part because of the 7 round mag. OTOH my cousin who is more like a brother had a tube-fed Glenfield bolt action when we was teenagers, feels to me like that is the way a .22 rifle is supposed to load.

The nephew who I took shooting this past weekend asked if he could do a "magazine dump"; by rapid trigger action he ripped off all fourteen rounds in that Mod 60 like it was on full-auto, accurately as well, massacred them cans grin

I always wanted one of those Sainless Papoose models.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I always wanted one of those Sainless Papoose models.
I once had a 39M that came with a canvas bag that was supposed to float.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
always wanted one of those Stainless Papoose models.

Swing by and pick it up next time you're through, been sitting unused in my safe forever. Had it so long I don't recall if it came in a case and the little barrel tightening tool wandered off somewhere long ago.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
always wanted one of those Stainless Papoose models.

Swing by and pick it up next time you're through, been sitting unused in my safe forever. Had it so long I don't recall if it came in a case and the little barrel tightening tool wandered off somewhere long ago.

Sounds good. After the Virus goes away, of course!
Thanks Mike! Just figure out what you want for it.
And I’ll treat ya to some good Mexican food when I pick it up. 🤠

Last edited by chlinstructor; 04/01/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hadn't thought about selling it, ya could trade something if ya want, or just accept it as a gift, either one. No biggie.

On the topic of takedown/take anywhere .22's the Papoose didn't do it for me, neither did the takedown semi auto where everything fits into the fat, floating plastic stock (tho that design made a lot of sense). IIRC Springfield Armory made the one I had, I think Henry makes 'em now.

Far and away the best IMHO was the Savage Mod 24C "Camper's Companion". This was mine..... cool My son has it now, he learned to shoot with it close to thirty years back, now his daughter shoots it. Of all my firearms, that was my favorite.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Those Savages were the thing back in the seventies and eighties when Survivalism was big. Multitude of calibers combined with inserts to shoot even more. Truth be told, the .22 over 20 gauge was probably the most useful. A .223/20 Ga. with an insert to shoot 22 RF might be even better for those on a budget and for a backup to the AR.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hadn't thought about selling it, ya could trade something if ya want, or just accept it as a gift, either one. No biggie.

On the topic of takedown/take anywhere .22's the Papoose didn't do it for me, neither did the takedown semi auto where everything fits into the fat, floating plastic stock (tho that design made a lot of sense). IIRC Springfield Armory made the one I had, I think Henry makes 'em now.

Far and away the best IMHO was the Savage Mod 24C "Camper's Companion". This was mine..... cool My son has it now, he learned to shoot with it close to thirty years back, now his daughter shoots it. Of all my firearms, that was my favorite.

Thanks Mike!
I also had one of those Savage Model 24 O/U Combo guns in 357 mag over 20 ga. Gave it to Dad for his truck gun at the Ranch, because he liked it so much for snakes and varmints. My nephew inherited it when Dad passed a couple of years ago.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

197 members (30Gibbs, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 29 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,637
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.