24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Difference between Democrats and Conservatives [Re: nealglen37] #14732348 04/01/20
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 6,102
StoneCutter Offline
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 6,102
Conservatives - Everyday is July 4th.

Liberals - Everyday is April 15th.


The beatings will continue until morale improves.
BP-B2

Re: Difference between Democrats and Conservatives [Re: nealglen37] #14732379 04/01/20
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 859
N
nealglen37 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 859
A conservative will see trash on the ground, stoop down and pick it up,then throw it in the trash and go about their business.

A liberal sees trash on the ground. Then will walk two blocks to find the person responsible for cleaning, then walk that person back two blocks back to the trash and have that person pick it up.

Last edited by nealglen37; 04/01/20.
Re: Difference between Democrats and Conservatives [Re: Hastings] #14732444 04/01/20
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 6,102
StoneCutter Offline
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 6,102
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Fubarski
This Covid thing has, very clearly, exposed the fire members that declare themselves Conservative.And chicken out, as soon as it's time ta *be* Conservative.
Every "conservative" small business owner I know is trying to figure out how to get as much of this trillion dollar bailout as possible. A bunch of conservative farmers make it on government programs. I don't really blame them for taking it but it doesn't much go along with being conservative.


Not always true.

I own a small business with 30 employees and we sell building material, so we're allowed to stay open. We're still pretty busy because all of the trades are still working as much as possible, but we've lost the homeowner business. In the Winter our sales go in the tank, so it's the Spring time when we need to "Make hay while the Sun shines". Unfortunately, our sales are going down and I pray that this doesn't kill us. If our sales go down too much, we'll have no other choice but to take a low interest loan or even a bail out. Because we're still open, currently we won't qualify for loan forgiveness. We're going to hang tough and try to make ends meet. We plan to keep on keeping on until .gov comes along and tells us we have to shut down also. I'm the third generation in this business and I'll do anything to preserve the company that my Grandfather started, my Father worked his whole life to build, and what my brother and I have grown to make it what it is today.

We don't desire to take any more loans than necessary, even if it's low interest or not. I don't want a bail out unless it's necessary either. I want to make it on my own. We fought tooth and nail to make it through the Obama years and we were able to keep our heads above water without the help from .gov. We had to hit our line of credit each Winter to make it through and managed to pay it off sometime during the Summers with nothing left over. Then we were forced to repeat each Winter with no end in sight until Trump was elected. Now with the new tax bill signed into law by President Trump, we're able to finally operate in the black. It hurts me to think that I might have to jump on that band wagon, but I'll do it if it mean saving this company and it's employees' jobs.

I'm not sure if any of you guys have ever owned a small business, but until you have, you'll never know how scary it is right now to be a business owner.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 04/01/20.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Re: Difference between Democrats and Conservatives [Re: nealglen37] #14732448 04/01/20
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 14,897
Raeford Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 14,897
I consider myself conservative, I'm also taking the bailout-so that I can pay my employees.
If I don't take it, no way that I can pay them, then they go to unemployment[so WTF is the difference?].

Without it[bailout, stimulus-call it what you will] I'm closing, for good, which puts 9 good people out of a job.

Myself and family that work here have not been paid a dime for 3 weeks now, every other employee has been paid whether they are working or not.

The only 'bailouts' we've ever had before were done by us[family]. And it's had to happen several times over the 75+ years we've been in business, this one is too big to handle.

On average every 4th or 5th check that I send out is either a tax payment or includes some form of local/state/federal tax added[utilities etc].

This little business has paid in all of these years and on time and needs the help, if some have issue with it then too damn bad.

Re: Difference between Democrats and Conservatives [Re: HitnRun] #14732701 04/01/20
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 12,663
JamesJr Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 12,663
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I have always preferred the terms Liberal and Conservative, rather than Democrat and Republican. Anyway, having said that, there are two local very well known families here that I'll use as a good example.

Family number one are some of the best people I've ever known. They are Christians, and it is reflected on their everyday lives. They know how to make money, and how to hold on to it. They are about as a conservative bunch of people as I've ever known, and are huge Trump supporters. They are very well respected in the community.

Family number two are some of the most lowdown bastids as you will find. They will hook you, crook you, and screw you any way they can. There are places that they can't set foot into, because they've either run up and bill there and never paid it, or else they've made a pass at some woman there, and can't go back. They're also the butt of jokes locally because of their behavior. They're also Trump voters.

In case you're interested, family number one are registered as Democrats, number two are Republicans. One's political affiliation has nothing to do with the kind of person they are...............instead, it is the kind of person they are, that matters.



Yeah and I saw a rat eat another rat and everyone knows rats are vegetarians. You are a Moron.



Which is worse, me a moron, or you an idiot?

IC-A

Re: Difference between Democrats and Conservatives [Re: Raeford] #14732724 04/01/20
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,154
A
alwaysoutdoors Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,154
Originally Posted by Raeford
I consider myself conservative, I'm also taking the bailout-so that I can pay my employees.
If I don't take it, no way that I can pay them, then they go to unemployment[so WTF is the difference?].

Without it[bailout, stimulus-call it what you will] I'm closing, for good, which puts 9 good people out of a job.

Myself and family that work here have not been paid a dime for 3 weeks now, every other employee has been paid whether they are working or not.

The only 'bailouts' we've ever had before were done by us[family]. And it's had to happen several times over the 75+ years we've been in business, this one is too big to handle.

On average every 4th or 5th check that I send out is either a tax payment or includes some form of local/state/federal tax added[utilities etc].

This little business has paid in all of these years and on time and needs the help, if some have issue with it then too damn bad.

I think you’re doing the right thing to your employees.


TRUMP 2020
Skin color makes no difference to me.
#SweetTeaMatters
Work Privilege
Re: Difference between Democrats and Conservatives [Re: nealglen37] #14732728 04/01/20
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,154
A
alwaysoutdoors Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,154
Originally Posted by nealglen37
A conservative will see trash on the ground, stoop down and pick it up,then throw it in the trash and go about their business.

A liberal sees trash on the ground. Then will walk two blocks to find the person responsible for cleaning, then walk that person back two blocks back to the trash and have that person pick it up.

That’s a good one


TRUMP 2020
Skin color makes no difference to me.
#SweetTeaMatters
Work Privilege
Re: Difference between Democrats and Conservatives [Re: nealglen37] #14732751 04/01/20
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 859
N
nealglen37 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 859
Thanks

Re: Difference between Democrats and Conservatives [Re: nealglen37] #14732767 04/01/20
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,946
M
MIKEWERNER Offline
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,946
Close, but when a liberal sees trash on the ground.....they walk to the closest microphone.....blame Republicans and the free market for the trash being there......then demand more green legislation.

Originally Posted by nealglen37
A conservative will see trash on the ground, stoop down and pick it up,then throw it in the trash and go about their business.

A liberal sees trash on the ground. Then will walk two blocks to find the person responsible for cleaning, then walk that person back two blocks back to the trash and have that person pick it up.


"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Re: Difference between Democrats and Conservatives [Re: HitnRun] #14732768 04/01/20
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
C
cast10K Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
Originally Posted by HitnRun

Pay attention to how farmers and ranchers do business and then see how those gifts from the government work. If you own a store and someone comes in to buy your goods, you say “that will be $12.00” or whatever the cost is for that product. When a farmer goes to the grain terminal to sell his wheat, he says “what will you give me today?” The rancher gets the same treatment at the stock sale.



Both scenarios are the same. Buyer and seller are both free to state their price and both are free to walk away. The truth of the matter is subsidies don't solve anything. In this case they allow too many farmers to remain in the industry, which is exactly the reason so many of them cannot be profitable without government assistance. Pull the subsidies, allow some farms to fail, achieve market equilibrium, and the remaining ones will be able to charge more. It's no different than any other market.

IC-B

Re: Difference between Democrats and Conservatives [Re: nealglen37] #14732804 04/01/20
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 11,012
mjbgalt Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 11,012
I am a libertarian and have been a long time. If it's not Constitutional it's wrong. Very simple. Very small government and almost no taxes would be ideal.

However when they have been ripping us all off non stop for decades...and then offer a way to get some of it back...I will happily accept a refund of my stolen money and continue voting out the [bleep] who have been stealing my money all along.

I don't see this as anything different than that and it does nothing to define me one way or another, it just is what it is.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 04/01/20.
Re: Difference between Democrats and Conservatives [Re: cast10K] #14732985 04/01/20
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 12,663
JamesJr Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 12,663
Originally Posted by cast10K
Originally Posted by HitnRun

Pay attention to how farmers and ranchers do business and then see how those gifts from the government work. If you own a store and someone comes in to buy your goods, you say “that will be $12.00” or whatever the cost is for that product. When a farmer goes to the grain terminal to sell his wheat, he says “what will you give me today?” The rancher gets the same treatment at the stock sale.



Both scenarios are the same. Buyer and seller are both free to state their price and both are free to walk away. The truth of the matter is subsidies don't solve anything. In this case they allow too many farmers to remain in the industry, which is exactly the reason so many of them cannot be profitable without government assistance. Pull the subsidies, allow some farms to fail, achieve market equilibrium, and the remaining ones will be able to charge more. It's no different than any other market.



This country has the cheapest food prices in the world, along with the most bountiful supply.......thanks to the government. But, before someone jumps all over me for saying that, there's what I mean............the government designed it that way, and the populace has willingly gone along with it, as well as the farmers.

People won't gripe if the price of new car goes, up, or a TV, or the latest fashions, or beer, or whiskey, or entertainment, and any thing else they could live without. But, when a loaf of bread goes up a dime, they gripe. When the price of bacon goes up 50 cents, the gripe. Same way with any other foodstuff..........people have gotten so used to cheap food, that they've become expectant of it.

That is just exactly how government has planned it. Control the farmers to the point that they have to keep producing and raising crops, in order to keep the food supply in good order. Many farmers today will admit that they "farm" the government, and that's what keeps them in business. Most that I know don't like it, and had much rather that government get completely out of agriculture, and let the farmer alone.

So, let's say that government got out of farming, and farmers could grow what they wanted, and charge what they wanted. How long do you think the current cheap prices would be around? They wouldn't, and government knows what would happen as a result, so they do what they consider necessary to keep food prices low. As someone who has farmed for almost 50 years, I hate dealing with USDA and their stupid regulations that they come up with........but since it is the way that it has to be, I go along with it, and have done what I had to do in order to keep farming. I've had some land that's been in CRP for almost 30 years now,and I get a check every year as a result. It's marginal cropland, located where I don't want to pasture it, and has been good for the wildlife to be sowed down and not bothered. I've also gotten USDA money for some conservation programs I've enrolled in, and I'll keep putting in for them in the future.....not because I need the money, but because it's what most farmers I know do, and it has nothing to with their political affiliation. Most farmers are Trump supporters anyway, and have stuck with him even though the trade wars he instigated hurt their bottom line.

The cold hard fact is that government is going to do what it takes to make sure that food is cheap and plentiful, and the farmer is going to do whatever it takes to stay in business.........and most farmers aren't good businessmen. They do what they do because they love it.

Re: Difference between Democrats and Conservatives [Re: Pharmseller] #14735759 04/02/20
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 17,210
local_dirt Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 17,210
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Conservatives say “can,” usually preceded by “I.”

Liberals say “should,” usually preceded by “you.”

A lot.



P





You forgot:

Consevatives make money and know how to save it.

Democrats? Well, they know how to spend other people's money.


No Ma'am. It's not my glasses that are crooked. It's my face.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

GOA member
(extremely disappointed) NRA member
Re: Difference between Democrats and Conservatives [Re: cast10K] #14735822 04/02/20
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,063
H
HitnRun Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,063
Originally Posted by cast10K
Originally Posted by HitnRun

Pay attention to how farmers and ranchers do business and then see how those gifts from the government work. If you own a store and someone comes in to buy your goods, you say “that will be $12.00” or whatever the cost is for that product. When a farmer goes to the grain terminal to sell his wheat, he says “what will you give me today?” The rancher gets the same treatment at the stock sale.



Both scenarios are the same. Buyer and seller are both free to state their price and both are free to walk away. The truth of the matter is subsidies don't solve anything. In this case they allow too many farmers to remain in the industry, which is exactly the reason so many of them cannot be profitable without government assistance. Pull the subsidies, allow some farms to fail, achieve market equilibrium, and the remaining ones will be able to charge more. It's no different than any other market.


Wow, you are so isolated from what it takes to put a steak on your plate or eggs in your fridge. The agricultural community has no more ability to do what you said than you have to fly a helicopter.

When you really understand how the commodities market and the cost of farming and ranching, under the current political spectrum, is not capable of surviving your fairytale analogy you might want to rethink your comments.


Originally Posted by Backroads
Funny how some folks reading the internet, feel superior to other folks reading the internet...


Re: Difference between Democrats and Conservatives [Re: JamesJr] #14751322 04/06/20
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
C
cast10K Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by cast10K
Originally Posted by HitnRun

Pay attention to how farmers and ranchers do business and then see how those gifts from the government work. If you own a store and someone comes in to buy your goods, you say “that will be $12.00” or whatever the cost is for that product. When a farmer goes to the grain terminal to sell his wheat, he says “what will you give me today?” The rancher gets the same treatment at the stock sale.



Both scenarios are the same. Buyer and seller are both free to state their price and both are free to walk away. The truth of the matter is subsidies don't solve anything. In this case they allow too many farmers to remain in the industry, which is exactly the reason so many of them cannot be profitable without government assistance. Pull the subsidies, allow some farms to fail, achieve market equilibrium, and the remaining ones will be able to charge more. It's no different than any other market.



This country has the cheapest food prices in the world, along with the most bountiful supply.......thanks to the government. But, before someone jumps all over me for saying that, there's what I mean............the government designed it that way, and the populace has willingly gone along with it, as well as the farmers.

People won't gripe if the price of new car goes, up, or a TV, or the latest fashions, or beer, or whiskey, or entertainment, and any thing else they could live without. But, when a loaf of bread goes up a dime, they gripe. When the price of bacon goes up 50 cents, the gripe. Same way with any other foodstuff..........people have gotten so used to cheap food, that they've become expectant of it.

That is just exactly how government has planned it. Control the farmers to the point that they have to keep producing and raising crops, in order to keep the food supply in good order. Many farmers today will admit that they "farm" the government, and that's what keeps them in business. Most that I know don't like it, and had much rather that government get completely out of agriculture, and let the farmer alone.

So, let's say that government got out of farming, and farmers could grow what they wanted, and charge what they wanted. How long do you think the current cheap prices would be around? They wouldn't, and government knows what would happen as a result, so they do what they consider necessary to keep food prices low. As someone who has farmed for almost 50 years, I hate dealing with USDA and their stupid regulations that they come up with........but since it is the way that it has to be, I go along with it, and have done what I had to do in order to keep farming. I've had some land that's been in CRP for almost 30 years now,and I get a check every year as a result. It's marginal cropland, located where I don't want to pasture it, and has been good for the wildlife to be sowed down and not bothered. I've also gotten USDA money for some conservation programs I've enrolled in, and I'll keep putting in for them in the future.....not because I need the money, but because it's what most farmers I know do, and it has nothing to with their political affiliation. Most farmers are Trump supporters anyway, and have stuck with him even though the trade wars he instigated hurt their bottom line.

The cold hard fact is that government is going to do what it takes to make sure that food is cheap and plentiful, and the farmer is going to do whatever it takes to stay in business.........and most farmers aren't good businessmen. They do what they do because they love it.



You still don't understand. The 'government' isn't making food cheap. Even if this worked the way that you think it does, it would be tax payers that are making it cheap.

However, the price you see in the store isn't the total cost of the subsidized item. The true cost is the store price + per unit subsidy. The producers total compensation can only be the total of those two things. Now, you want me to believe that the per unit cost of the subsidy somehow incentives the producer to lower their price by MORE than the per unit cost of the subsidy??! That's illogical and even a farmer who learned his craft from Michael Bloomberg would know better than to do that.

As is the case with all government interventions, there is also an unintended consequence. In this case, farmers are further incentivized to produce EVEN MORE of the unwanted food, which only exasperates the original problem --- too many producers / too much product. This is how we as Americans now have corn as an ingredient in nearly EVERYTHING we eat. Food conglomerates buy up the cheap tax-payer subsidized surplus and sell it to us again in the form of cheap filler. So, if the taxpayers/consumers are paying twice for food we didn't even want, farmers are producing way more than the market can bear, and politicians who support such foolish policies continue to get re-elected on the merits of 'supporting poor farmers'. It's an endless cycle of stupidity.

This has nothing to do with who's griping about prices and you clearly don't know the first thing about economics.

Re: Difference between Democrats and Conservatives [Re: HitnRun] #14751509 04/06/20
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
C
cast10K Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by cast10K
Originally Posted by HitnRun

Pay attention to how farmers and ranchers do business and then see how those gifts from the government work. If you own a store and someone comes in to buy your goods, you say “that will be $12.00” or whatever the cost is for that product. When a farmer goes to the grain terminal to sell his wheat, he says “what will you give me today?” The rancher gets the same treatment at the stock sale.



Both scenarios are the same. Buyer and seller are both free to state their price and both are free to walk away. The truth of the matter is subsidies don't solve anything. In this case they allow too many farmers to remain in the industry, which is exactly the reason so many of them cannot be profitable without government assistance. Pull the subsidies, allow some farms to fail, achieve market equilibrium, and the remaining ones will be able to charge more. It's no different than any other market.


Wow, you are so isolated from what it takes to put a steak on your plate or eggs in your fridge. The agricultural community has no more ability to do what you said than you have to fly a helicopter.

When you really understand how the commodities market and the cost of farming and ranching, under the current political spectrum, is not capable of surviving your fairytale analogy you might want to rethink your comments.


Isolated lol. Both of my parents grew up on farms and I spent my teen years working on them. Why don't you enlighten me? I looked for a factual rebuttal in your post but couldn't find one. The reason the agricultural industry has no ability to do that is because of over supply, a root problem that subsidies not only fail to address but actually make worse.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

RR1
Who's Online Now
596 registered members (10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 100grNP, 12344mag, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 1,829 guests, and 897 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3










Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2020 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3
(Release build 20190728)
PHP: 7.3.18 Page Time: 0.062s Queries: 15 (0.004s) Memory: 0.8715 MB (Peak: 1.0489 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2020-06-06 22:50:24 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS