Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by jdm953
This is one of those places government is not allowed to go.Only the people can decide.

Churches were closed by ordinance during the Spanish Flu.

Yes and it was Woodrow Wilson, also in charge during the Spanish Flu, that signed the Sedition Act into law. He was no friend of freedom and a hero to the modern day left.

Religion. In specific the religion taught and promoted by the Bible tells us that this life in temporal and that we should get our eyes off of this life and focus on eternity. Has anyone thought that this may have been on the pastor's mind when he had the church service? Lets set aside the health risk and focus on the Bible. It teaches that there is nothing more important than the soul of a human being. Jesus himself said that today is the day of salvation. So with that in mind the law was taking on a higher power than God himself. A true man of God does not take for granted that there may be another day for his people.

Another problem I see is that any time the government "thinks" we are in danger they will suspend our rights as they see fit. Whether that threat is real or not. Do you trust the government of our day enough to lay aside your freedom and hope they give it back when they say it's okay? Well if you do you might as well get all your guns ready to say goodbye too as well.

Last edited by Jim1611; 03/31/20.
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Lets set aside the health risk and focus on the Bible.

Here's an excellent example of person's religious beliefs leading to sub-optimal decision making.

Please don't focus so much on your belief in the possibility of a next life that you cause the deaths of people in this life.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 16bore
Pretty much it. They should get in line to lick door knobs in NYC and see how that pans out. Lotsa tough guys.

On the bright side of the epidemic, CNN's "Journalist/Reporter/TV Personality" Fredo Cuomo is reported to have contracted the Kung-Flu virus. Go give your brother a hug Fredo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
This is one of those places government is not allowed to go.Only the people can decide.

Churches were closed by ordinance during the Spanish Flu.

Yes and it was Woodrow Wilson, also in charge during the Spanish Flu, that signed the Sedition Act into law. He was no friend of freedom and a hero to the modern day left.

Religion. In specific the religion taught and promoted by the Bible tells us that this life in temporal and that we should get our eyes off of this life and focus on eternity. Has anyone thought that this may have been on the pastor's mind when he had the church service? Lets set aside the health risk and focus on the Bible. It teaches that there is nothing more important than the soul of a human being. Jesus himself said that today is the day of salvation. So with that in mind the law was taking on a higher power than God himself. A true man of God does not take for granted that there may be another day for his people.

Another problem I see is that any time the government "thinks" we are in danger they will suspend our rights as they see fit. Whether that threat is real or not. Do you trust the government of our day enough to lay aside your freedom and hope they give it back when they say it's okay? Well if you do you might as well get all your guns ready to say goodbye too as well.

Hmmmm, Focus on the Bible. Jesus cared deeply about individuals earthly life, not just their spiritual one. Why did he heal? He cared. Why did he cry for Lazarus? Because he cared. He felt our pain and cared. Jesus did not teach that human life was insignificant or inconsequential. Jesus would not have told his followers to go forth and infect the population with a deadly disease. At least not the one I've known.

Now lets get real. How many of you blowhards complaining of this were in a pew last Sunday? Do you walk the walk, or just talk the talk. Who here doing all the complaining was with your congregation in church on Sunday, March 22?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Jesus healed the sick, brought back people from the dead and died on the cross all for the glory of God and to help mankind see that He is the only way to heaven. Did he care for what happened in this life, yep. But he cares more about our soul than anything else.

Blowhards....why is it that you limit yourself so in your choice of adjectives. This one was not in church because we made the decision to not have our service. It was not from a threat from the government or that we were told to do so, we made that choice on our own.

It would be interesting to see just how many people from this church die or cause someone else to die or get sick because they were there together. We'll likely never know. What I do know is that Florida allowed all of the college people to take their spring break and didn't arrest a one of those people. Of course they were all being careful, staying away from each other and especially not touching one another.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
So, a number of folks in his congregation get the virus--- They will all scream like hell for the Gov't to make them well.
They should have stayed the hell home!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We had a disaster simulation a few years ago for one of the buildings owned by the company I worked for. It was a million sq foot office building in Plano. Usually the scenario on these types of sims is a natural disaster of some sort. All the high ranking heads of the different business groups in the building get together with the business continuity, security, safety, and facilities managers and game out how they’d handle the scenario. This time instead of a tornado, the scenario was a truck carrying chlorine gas crashing on the tollway and causing the air outside the building to be poisonous.

We’d secured the building, cut off all outside ventilation, and sealed the doors. We had established contact with the authorities, used the call center to contact everybody’s families, and were waiting for the all clear from whoever the government had monitoring the air quality. At one point, somebody asked what security would do if someone panicked and insisted on leaving the building. My boss thought that would be a good question for me to answer for some reason so I did. I told them we would not allow anyone to leave under any circumstances until it was deemed safe to do so. I got the “what about their rights” speech and had to tell her that if I had to, I would physically stop them from opening the door and forcibly restrain them. One person’s right to go whenever and wherever they wanted didn’t equal me or anybody else having to get a lungful of chlorine gas period. I told her it was like a triage and that we would do the most good for the most people even if I had to clobber somebody and cuff them to a pipe in the stairwell. I don’t see much difference with the preacher in question here.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jdm953: It seems to me the Sheriff is trying to protect the people of his county and asking/directing/demanding that people not "congregate" (like in churches!) for the next 14 to 30 days is NOT being "against the constitution"!
Case in point the church choir that refused to halt practices for "the time being' and many of the choir-ites became ill and some died and the corona virus was then spread in countless directions!
Now IF the Sheriff had tried to "ban" or permanently impede attendance at a church then THAT indeed would be "against the constitution"!
But he was trying to institute a temporary "policy" that would save lives and not harm a religion in any way shape or form.
Me doth thinkst thou is an alarmist!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne can't pass the plate if'n he ain't got peeples in the sanctuary.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jdm953: It was just announced on FOX news that a Florida Sheriff just arrested a "church pastor for no-compliance!
Seems that this "situation" will be adjudicated in court post hence.
I assume the sheriff and pastor FOX referred to are the same you are questioning about?
Remember now we are a nation of laws and if a "man" defies or breaks a lawful "law/order" he is susceptible to arrest/conviction!
Is that NOT correct?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I am not as cynical as the CampFirer who contacted me off line just now claiming the various pastors around the country are more interested in "gathering money" than the safety of their congregations and the public - could be - I don't know.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, for the good of the public, it is acceptable for the government to institute “temporary policy” that curtails Constitutionally recognized rights by threat of criminal prosecution?

I’m not sure I can agree with that. Not pertaining to the Second or the First.

Those church folks certainly open themselves to civil liability, and if they purposefully expose others outside the group, perhaps criminal as well. I just can’t agree with liberty being preemptively stripped.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by TBREW401
The Sheriff is not against the Constitution--- he is against breaking the law!

He should have arrested the whole congregation!

NAZI How the hell can he violate the "Bill of Rights".

The Bill of Rights is not a suicide pact.
It does require some degree of sense, though. Yes, they have the right to meet but it's up to them to use sense in doing it. Viruses don't respect the law. The police don't have the right to stop them, though. That's up to the individuals.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MadMooner
it is acceptable for the government to institute “temporary policy” that curtails Constitutionally recognized rights by threat of criminal prosecution?

Yes

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
No difference banning kids partying on the beach during spring break and banning gatherings at churches during the pandemic.This is as dumb as the anti -vaxers

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
nobody has a right to somehow potentially expose society at large to a deadly disease. now, you may scrutinize those who make such decisions, but this one isn't even a close call

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From The Federalist

Dem Gov's Back off gun bans

But note that a county sheriff in North Carolina still wants to hang on to his crown...................

MM

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by TBREW401
The Sheriff is not against the Constitution--- he is against breaking the law!

He should have arrested the whole congregation!

NAZI How the hell can he violate the "Bill of Rights".

The Bill of Rights is not a suicide pact.
It does require some degree of sense, though. Yes, they have the right to meet but it's up to them to use sense in doing it. Viruses don't respect the law. The police don't have the right to stop them, though. That's up to the individuals.

Actually, they do.

The law was not "respecting the establishment of religion of prohibiting the free exercise there of", it was about stopping a pandemic.

Your religious rights do not include the right to kill me and my family by child sacrifice or spreading a deadly virus.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ribka
No difference banning kids partying on the beach during spring break and banning gatherings at churches during the pandemic.This is as dumb as the anti -vaxers

A better comparison would be recognizing the right of an individual to choose whether or not to vaccinate or mandating by law/forced vaccines.

I see your point, but public beaches vs private property.

Outside fubarski, not sure anyone doesn’t recognize the need to socially distance themselves and their families. Just not convinced the gov should be allowed infringe upon a persons rights.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The cops aren’t really protecting citizens from criminals as much as they’re protecting criminals from the citizens. What happens if a preacher holds his services in spite of what he’s been told and as a result, a virus hot spot occurs like with that choir practice, and then as a result, your wife catches it and dies? If that happened to certain folks, that preacher would be wishing they’d have arrested him. When someone obviously puts other people at risk, either the cops show up and deal with it within the law or it gets dealt with some other way.

Last edited by billhilly; 04/01/20.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Or large concerts, parties on private property vs church gatherings.

I was just talking to my Mom who grew up with measles, small pox and of course polio. She said they were scared to death of contracting polio. It was a miricle when Saulk came up with a vaccine she said and people were very grateful . Now we're seeing an upsurge in diseases we wiped out decades ago due to the anti vaccine crowd and of course uncontrolled illegal immigration from third world countries.

Still not a fan of organized religion

Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by ribka

A better comparison would be recognizing the right of an individual to choose whether or not to vaccinate or mandating by law/forced vaccines.

I see your point, but public beaches vs private property.

Outside fubarski, not sure anyone doesn’t recognize the need to socially distance themselves and their families. Just not convinced the gov should be allowed infringe upon a persons rights.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (69sportfury, 300jimmy, 338reddog, 2500HD, 16 invisible), 1,355 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,132
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.