Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by cra1948
...but people tend to be much more personable down here than in those schithole northeastern cities.

Shythole states, eh? Please, tell me more from #46 out of 50...

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/crime-and-corrections

I didn't say schithole states, I said "..schithole northeastern cities..." and I will stand by that, regardless of what some (probably politically motivated) Newsweek Magazine poll of questionable, and certainly incomplete, methodology may "show." The stated criteria alone are fraught with the possibility of uncontrolled variables. Polls like that are just clickbait.

I've lived in the NE and there are great places and great people all over up there. I've also spent time in most of the major cities up there. IMO, they're schitholes. In my experience, the general run of people you meet out in public here are a lot friendlier and a lot more open. They're a lot more likely to strike up casual, friendly conversations with strangers at the supermarket, restaurants, wherever.

Mathew 22: 37-39

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Folks here are more courteous than ever.

Lots of gracious displays out and about. On the street, in the stores, etc.... I don’t see it continuing in the cities if the situation continues to decline. Some will band together and help each other out, others will go another route.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Folks here are more courteous than ever.

Lots of gracious displays out and about. On the street, in the stores, etc.... I don’t see it continuing in the cities if the situation continues to decline. Some will band together and help each other out, others will go another route.

Sort of the general East Coast/West Coast thing?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
A cultural division in my opinion. Not east vs west.

Those that were good neighbors will likely continue to be so. Those that weren’t, won’t, and I would guess will become a problem.

While both sorts are present everywhere, the concentration of the latter is simply more dense in an urban setting and will have more impact.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Kamo,

Things north of the border are good at present.

Although people are certainly suffering some & different levels of duress, not much has changed.

Everybody still says "sorry" !!!!

Seriously, we are very glad we a in a rural area, 20 minutes from town, in a catchment area population of about 6000.

Obviously, can't carry up here, even defending your property would be dicey !

Planning for the worst & hoping for the best, is always the right option.

These 2 pussycats, would go from what is depicted in this photo, to someone's worst nightmare, if they felt "Momma" was in danger, or if any of us said to !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Collie x Shepard would do the protectin & the Rhodesian Ridgeback x Dane would do the bulk of the damage.

Hope you & yours stay safe & well !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Interesting times, indeed.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by teal
Originally Posted by Texczech
...that numbers of property crime/theft/assaults/violence and whatnot will begin to increase? In what is admittedly but a casual, completely non-scientific personal series of observations on my part, I've noticed in my travels locally that people are behaving more and more aggressively, if in ways that are only slightly, if definitively perceptible--in my opinion only, of course. I believe I have definitely observed more instances of impatient shytheadery in simple things relating to drivers, dog walkers, cashiers and delivery people. I've noticed an increase IMO in some difficult to define--but present nonetheless--instances of increased sour and suspicious looks, argumentativeness and general, I dunno', distrust.

My personal feeling is that as long as the big three are readily available--food/water, electricity and heat-- things will be OK and the streets aren't likely to start running red. Take away any of those and I could easily see where things go to shyt right quick. I have a class A, so called 'high capacity' state issued license to carry concealed firearms. As the liberal ivory midden I normally work at would relieve me of my position were I caught carrying OTJ, I don't (allegedly) normally do so while working, but now that I am an employee working 'remotely', I don't leave the house unarmed, ever. My wife has never been anti-gun, and has been shown how to load and use every firearm in the house to proper effect, but it surprised me when last week or so she started asking me every time we were getting ready to leave the house, 'kenju arimasu-ka, daddy?' Translation: 'do you have a jammy on you, daddy?'

Interesting times continue.

All the pawn shops are open here. For the crackheads
its business as usual.

Our pawn shops suck. Never found a deal on anything in them. I mean they have stuff, beat to hell and for about 50 cents less than new. Try and negotiate and you might get it down to 75 cents off. Waste of time here.

the innanets ruint everthing.

dang pawn shop owners can use they googlefu and figger out what just about anything goes fer nowdays.

no more deels on heaters cause the pawn dude didn't no how much a clean 27-2 is worth,.

Sure sucks. Bigly

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My dog found a fresh moose bone yesterday.

I don't think it was of Nature's winter-kill .

Last edited by las; 04/01/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by las

Eskimos?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
No “edginess” here, if anything people seem to be more patient than usual. I’m in a rural area though and most of the country folks around me can go a long time on a little.

I’d expect the cities to be the first places to become unhinged. They’re a lot more reliant on infrastructure and others in general.

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by las

Eskimos?

Geno

Hey now.....

I am MAGA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Other than our favorite restaurants being closed, it's pretty much business as usual around here. I'll wager that 97% of households in this county have at least one firearm and I don't see things getting too sporty. Glad I don't have young kids to try to entertain 24/7.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by las

Eskimos?

Geno

Hey now.....

OK,

Native Alaskans? of the Coastal Variety?

Geno

In it is contentment

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Around here people have been polite and thoughtful. I’ve been impressed by the decency I’ve seen but I live in the country, a small island actually but I drive to the “mainland” everyday and I haven’t encountered any rude or unusually obnoxious people....luckily.

It’s the same here so far Aces but we’re very rural we’re all chipping in in the area to help some elderly couples on fixed incomes staying at home. Let’s hope it spreads to other areas of the country and the place will be a lot better off. I believe it’s gonna be a great eye-opening to the millennials that just took everything for granted.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Let's not forget strap.

I'm always strapped, with a pistol. Now is the time to start considering always bringing an AR in the vehicle.

Ah yes, ye olde strappe. Forgot that one. Gracias. wink

Heeled?

Coyotes shot no waiting.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I almost got into a fight at the Holiday in Fairbanks. A little goblin decided he wanted to show off to his meth skanks and yelled "get out of my way". I told him to calm down and walked to a different part of the store. He followed me and said, "I'll show you..." he pulled back to throw some kind of strange haymaker towards me and I hit him with a slide-through and sweeped his legs, grabbed him by the hood of his hoodie and threw him into the cooler. I told the manager to call the cops and I left. I am the nicest guy you would ever meet and people note that kids and dogs are always friendly towards me. I don't consider what I did as a fight because that feller didn't get a paw on me.

The stores in Fairbanks are low on some types of food. Especially frozen, instant food(like TV dinners). We are the last store in the supply chain so we will likely run out of stuff first. The booze, the pot and the sex shops(ie castle) seem to be doing bang up business. Things under the surface are not going to go well and as Las said the free moose population has disappeared. SW has been selling ammo and almost nothing in the camping section. However, camping has been selling lots of meat grinders and freezer paper. Take that the way you would. There was a big facebook share of letting the food stamp people go hog wild during the first three days of the month with their EBT cards.

Be well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I almost got into a fight at the Holiday in Fairbanks. A little goblin decided he wanted to show off to his meth skanks and yelled "get out of my way". I told him to calm down and walked to a different part of the store. He followed me and said, "I'll show you..." he pulled back to throw some kind of strange haymaker towards me and I hit him with a slide-through and sweeped his legs, grabbed him by the hood of his hoodie and threw him into the cooler. I told the manager to call the cops and I left.

Good job and great story...thanks!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Can't say I see that around here. I hardly go out and it seems that nobody else does, either.

On the very few occasions that I've gone out lately the 4 or 5 people (total) that I've interacted with have been typical, friendly, rural Kentuckians.

That's because they're in a daze from lack of Big Blew bball or too much meth.

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I want to remind you all about an interesting thread started by Rock&B Bar

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...2491/1/interesting-heads-up-this-morning

The main guy said he has been hearing a LOT of talk in the Mexican community around here. Most have been laid off. They all have lots of kids. There's a bunch of them. 50% of the population, or better. Probably 75%..

Anyway, he said he's hearing lots of talk in his Mexican community that they are running out of money quickly. He said they have been saying when they cannot buy what they need, they will start taking it. By force if needed, but they will take it.

Okay. Thanks for the heads up.

It's coming folks. Whether you believe it or not.

So here's why this is one of the potential flash points.

Part of the value in the 2 trillion dollar stimulus package is to keep the people living hand to mouth who loose their jobs from burning everything down. So we created a "relief" package with includes additional cash for unemployment, and direct payments to taxpayer so daddy don't have to loot the HBC cus the kids are hungry.

But if you were working under the table and not paying taxes, and get shut down, well, you are ineligible for unemployment AND the direct cash payments. Of course there employment patterns are more common in certain communities than others. So as the shut down continues, the potential for this to turn into a flash point escalates, especially for those of us who are not part of, but have significant exposure to these communities.

At this point it appear Colorado will experience an 8 week shut down. I'm not saying it will happen here, but I have to wonder if we will see any Ferguson type events in the type of area's I've described?

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 04/01/20.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Here in America's behavorial sink things are pretty mellow so far. Ours is a town that is easy to exit and enjoy the outdoors. Stores are decently stocked and the dregs are happy to wait for more than 1 hour to get their pot. I went to Albertsons on Monday to avoid the EBT crowd and everyone was mellow except for one middle eastern type who threw a filthy wad of cash at the cashier and very loudly demanded that she accept it. I quietly reminded him that he should be grateful that better people better than he came to work and that he should lower his voice. He took the hint and adjusted his attitude.

So far I am impressed with how people are adjusting and adapting to a life changing event. Americans continue to show the world why we are the greatest nation on earth.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 2,923 guests, and 1,376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.