Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
mbrook Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Need recommendations for a new release for my young adult son. He is getting back into bow hunting and asking for a new release. He has a Winn Free Flight glove release and is looking to upgrade. He has a 70lb max compound bow. Any thoughts? Thank you.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan
BP-B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Especially if using a D-loop, Cobra calipers are excellent.
Used them for 30 years.

mbrook Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Yes, he will be using a D loop.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Lots of good releases. I’ve used a Tru-Fire wrist strap for 20+ years. It’s worked well for me.

NRA Patron
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
No one can recommend something like this. He needs to try out as many releases as he can and see what he likes best.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
True, MCH, but recommendations most usually come with lots of experience. A great place to start. Hard to beat a good caliper for bowhunting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spot Hogg Wiseguy wouldn't be a bad place to start. Release is pretty personal though, really should go somewhere he can lay hands on as many as possible.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
No one can recommend something like this. He needs to try out as many releases as he can and see what he likes best.

I agree 100%.

A good archery shop would let him try the releases that they sell.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by WTM45
True, MCH, but recommendations most usually come with lots of experience. A great place to start. Hard to beat a good caliper for bowhunting.

Experience is one thing, what a person shoots best with and feels right to them is another. I stand by my comment go shoot every release you can and what works and feels best for him, buy!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Or man up and learn to shoot fingers! smile

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I still like the Fletchunter Shorty wrist model. Same as rhe old Fletchunter but w curved trigger. Even the old model is pretty badass.

Last edited by hookeye; 03/30/20.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I like the Scott moulded grip caliper release.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use one that has a hook . True fight, and it is spring loaded and folds away from your hand.

Getting away from the calipersntightens my groups dramatically.

The spring loaded folding aspect limits the release inadvertently clanking the bow or quiver.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you have a pro shop around, go try a few. Cheap ones are usually not very good. I have used a Scott Little Bitty Goose for hunting for at least the last 10 years and probably closer to 20. Shooting targets I prefer a hinge type hand held release.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Buddy laughed at me, shooting an old Fletchunter.
Then he tried it.
Ended up winning the IBO triple crown with one.

Went to a shoot, dealer that ran the place laughed.
Let him try mine.
He started selling them.

Another bud works pro shop, just hunts though. He tried a Fletchunter shorty wrist and liked it, then tried the "latest and greatest"
and went back to the Fletchunter after a couple of other releases.
Looks like most places don't carry em anymore.

Dunno if still available from Fletcher. Were not cheap, but not expensive either.
Never see them advertised on the TV shows either. Dunno if they ever had a "pro staff".

Think around 75 bucks.

I put proly 50K shots through one, zero problems. Sold it with the bow when I went recurve for a stretch.

To be honest, I started early 80's w a Joy Valley, and it broke a little spring.
Said EF that and went Fletchunter.

Single jaw, over center linkage w rollers. Simple and durable.
Since I got an old Oneida to mess with, will try to find another newer style "shorty" version.

Last edited by hookeye; 04/01/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I remember shooting Fletch Hunters with a rope. Long before the D Loop was standard many releases had a rope attached to the release itself. You would wrap the rope loop around the string and hoop it on a peg on the string. When shot the rope would whip out of the way. Not real sure it was not a superior setup to the D Loop of today. I used a Barner Rope Release for years and years starting in the early 1980's.

Anyway off on a tangent there. Doubt any of the kids at the local pro shop would even know how to work one of those. I did see where the old Scott Littlegoose has now evolved into the Scott Quick Shot. They look to run about $40. Solid release - simple, smooth and consistent.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The rope Fletcher release was the Fletchmatic.

The Fletchunter is a mechanical jaw.

Saw a couple Fletchmatic ropes break back in the day. Knocked one dude out LOL (90# PSE on the draw).

I like 35+ axle to axle, and can run eliminator buttons and click right on the string (no D loop needed).
That puts my hand along my jaw, thumb under.

Anchorpoint there gets tip of nose on string and I have shot very well for years that way. It works for me.

D loops move my anchor back and I friggin' hate it. My jaw also angles so it's back and higher w a D loop.

Single spot indoors I never got a 300- 60X. Kickouts dropped points. As a hunter was content w 290s and 30X.
I do NOT like a 5 spot target, sorry, I just don't.

Only reason I shot indoors was for form and focus, to prep for 3D.

A D loop or other release isn't going to get me any more points.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
But..................

IMHO one may need a D loop if running a drop away rest.
Yanked my GK w vertical and horizontal dampening, to try a Ripcord drop away.
It shot great, w fieldpoints.

Screwed on some fixed blade heads before season and they hit low. Shoulda hit same.
Tweaked tune, wouldn't change it.

Went D loop and FP and BH hit the same.
But damn I hated it

Liked the Ripcord rest but not the needing a D loop. Ran that rest/loop on a Mathews after, worked but I really like my anchor in one place.

If I set up another compound for release it will be eliminator buttons and Fletchunter. And some type of vert dampening rest.

Last edited by hookeye; 04/04/20.
R
Rox Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
The advice to go to an archery shop is spot on. Release style is something each individual must decide for himself and some good instruction can go a long ways into perfecting his shot sequence with a new release to avoid bad habits that can lead to other issues down the road. Shooting indoors or out with a lane can help him decide what works for him and develop his shot, and his comfort level with a new release, which improves his confidence and accuracy.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like the Wiseguy by Spot Hogg mentioned by hillestadj above

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
667 members (06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 75 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.