Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I always accepted the ideas that the fast majority of defensive shootings would be up close and wouldn’t require a lot of firepower. It was also common to hear that small guns are easier to carry, therefore you’d carry more often. So, I carried a J-Frame or a Glock 36.

A few incidents have made me change my beliefs. I’m in my 15th year as an LEO and have seen more than a few shootings. Common themes were: Shot placement over caliber, and don’t stop shooting til the bad guy stops. My agency does a lot of failure-to-stop training at the range and with sims.

This has been emphasized even more after a deputy was killed in a gunfight with a guy who was wearing body armor. The bad guy took 4 hits to CoM that would have been fatal had he not been wearing armor. In that instance, the first head shot won. With the proliferation of affordable surplus body armor, this type of thing is a new reality.

Another good example is the church goer who took out that guy with a head shot from a decent distance. He saved lives that day. Active shooter training I’ve participated in emphasizes the benefit of being able to engage quickly and at farther distances.

Due to stuff like this, I’m carrying larger guns with higher capacity that are more accurate. I’ve found that if shooting with irons, I am most accurate with a hammer-fired pistol such as a Sig P226 or 1911 when distances exceed 20 yards. I can’t seem to get that kind of consistency out of a striker fired gun unless I use a red dot. I’m really seeing the benefit of red dot sights on pistols. Especially if it allows me to carry a lighter gun.

Have any of you transitioned to bigger guns for similar reasons? I can see how most concealed carriers wouldn’t be concerned with engaging someone at a longer distance because their responsibility is to get out and live for the sake of their families.

What do you guys think?

GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I've always carried a proper fighting sized EDC and spare magazines for all the reasons you mentions.

My biggest change has been in how I practice. Got a timer, and some steel, and IDPA style targets, and focus more on the variety of shooting you are describing.

One drill I've added is the "Jack Wilson":

3 second par time,15 yard head shot from concealment.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 03/31/20.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The Glock 26 carries like a small gun but shoots like a big one, with a respectable payload on board. With a quick 17 round reload on your belt, it's pretty formidable.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I sold my Shield and my G43 and decided to carry an M&P 2.0C or a G19 complete with an extra mag for the same basic reasons you state. The Jerod Reston story is reason enough on its own.

I also added a light to my EDC equipment and a bleeder kit to my truck, range bag and had a Stop the Bleed class scheduled and cancelled due to this mess we’re in now.

I too have my own timer, plates and USPSA targets, almost all practice is drawn from concealment and most matches are just practice for what if.

I do still have my J frames but only carry one when I’m wearing my running shorts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle

Have any of you transitioned to bigger guns for similar reasons?

I haven't transitioned to that philosophy as that's been my philosophy since day one.............the first handgun I carried regularly was a Colt Combat Commander.

Current EDC is a Sig 229 SAO/, preceded by various 1911's, Smith M&P, Glock 19 & Beretta 92 Compact (which really isn't compact).................I will occasionally carry a G27 in a coat pocket for short trips here & there. Once in a great while & under certain circumstances, a J-frame, but not often.

I've always put shoot-ability & accuracy above any small inconvenience of carrying a larger gun.

MM

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Additional training with one hand shooting drills, support side shooting (as if strong side incapacitated), support side reloading, support side clearing malfunctions, dropped weapon drills, CQC drills.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by TWR
The Jerod Reston story is reason enough on its own.

Holy Cow!

https://www.policeone.com/jared-reston/videos/will-to-win-jared-reston-lYh118qD4sXNwxgd/

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
There's a better video out there where he's talking to a group of LE and goes into more detail that really drove the point home for me.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
I always accepted the ideas that the fast majority of defensive shootings would be up close and wouldn’t require a lot of firepower. It was also common to hear that small guns are easier to carry, therefore you’d carry more often. So, I carried a J-Frame or a Glock 36.

While that idea is often promoted in certain circles, it seems to me more of a "beginners idea", and the professionals promoting that idea seem to be targeting the people who are only willing to do the bare minimum to carry a gun as a talisman. While it may be true that the average gunfight is at 7 yards or less and only uses 3 rounds (or whatever the current numbers are), preparing for that benchmark means you've already decided to lose half of the potential situations you could be in.

Good on you for recognizing the difference. I'm of the mindset that if you're committed to carrying in case you really need to use it, it's worth carrying something you can really fight with as well as hit at extended ranges. For me those choices were primarily 1911 and then Glock pistols in .45, and then switching to a 9mm Glock during the Obummer era (not that he had anything to do with the choice). I do own some smaller stuff like the G43 as well, but that's for the rare exception, like being stuck in a tux for my buddy's wedding, rather than the general rule for daily carry.

Of course part of that mindset involves putting more effort into shooting and fighting skills. I have no idea about you personally but most of the "regular guy" shooters I know, including some LEO guys, struggle to hit a basketball sized target at 10 yards from a stationary position. With that kind of skill level, they better hope they don't need that pistol for anything more than the often quoted "average gunfight". Shooting at distance, shooting on the move (and not a slow walk, think more like sprinting), shooting weak hand only, etc are some of the things worth building skill in; the firearm choice is only a small part of that and not much more than the first step. Hand to hand skills and the ability to draw and use the pistol (or a knife) from a ground fight is another side of that mindset too that shouldn't be left out; this is where a lot of guys figure out their carry method doesn't work so well, and/or their skills are lacking to access and use the gun before either the bad guy(s) does and ends it, or they get winded from being out of shape.

More than you asked for, but that stuff is just brushing the surface of what you posted about.

Last edited by Yondering; 03/31/20.
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Great responses guys! I think one thing that makes carrying larger guns more feasible is some of the holster designs that are available these days. As a part of my job, I often have to fly while armed. A local holster company makes great IWB holsters. With his stuff, I can hide a full size gun, extra magazine, and handcuffs under a polo shirt and no one ever notices.

I definitely need to do more shooting while moving with a sense of purpose. At work, we never go faster than L&I avoidance speed. A couple detectives got me into shooting IDPA and it helps a little, but sometimes the game of IDPA overshadows tactics. Since I’m not gonna win, I often will shoot a match in a more tactically sound fashion and not worry about a few proceedurals.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I actually started big, with a Glock 17. I always appreciated having a 'reload' already in the gun.

A couple years back I decided a smaller pistol would be kind of nice, and I picked up a Kahr CW9. Nice piece, but 7+1 doesn't give me the warm fuzzy, and I'm faster on target with a little bigger pistol. So I went back to the trusty old Gen2 Glock 17.

Enter the Glock 19 Gen5 a couple months ago. My new EDC. Big enough to shoot well and carry a good amount of ammo. Small enough to conceal easily.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I actually started big, with a Glock 17. I always appreciated having a 'reload' already in the gun.

A couple years back I decided a smaller pistol would be kind of nice, and I picked up a Kahr CW9. Nice piece, but 7+1 doesn't give me the warm fuzzy, and I'm faster on target with a little bigger pistol. So I went back to the trusty old Gen2 Glock 17.

Enter the Glock 19 Gen5 a couple months ago. My new EDC. Big enough to shoot well and carry a good amount of ammo. Small enough to conceal easily.

I really like my Gen 5 Glock 19, too, and will likely end up carrying it. Hate to replace my Gen 5 Glock 26, though, as that gun is so just right.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Good Answer.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I practice out to 20 and 50 yards now, with Lehjgh Penetrators and Defenders in 9mm, 38 Super, 40 S&W, 10mm and 45 ACP, the world is getting stranger by the day, that said, an AR or REPR is always close, and many times not out of arms reach, 62gr TSX and 64gr Nosler bonded, plus 30 cal 150gr Partitions and 176 Lehighs will get the job then.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm among those that traded the comfort of a tiny gun for the increased ammo capacity and shootability of a bigger gun.

I used to EDC a Kahr PM9 (7+1) with a spare 6-rd mag in my pocket. I shot it well enough, but I always knew in my heart that I shot bigger guns better, plus they carry more ammo. I finally manned up and switched to a G19 for EDC during the week. I also carry a MagPul 21-rd spare mag on my belt. I figure that will be enough to keep evil at bay until help arrives.

On weekends or other "cheat days," I will still grab the Kahr if I believe I am going to be at a "low-risk" location such as picking up a buddy to go to coffee early at Denny's then shooting at the range. I still carry the G19 to church, and based on recent events, have no plans to change that decision.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I usually carry a Glock 43 with a seven round mag and two seven round spares.

I'm going back to my Glock 19 and two G17 mags as spares.

I figure if that doesn't get me back to the carbine in the truck, God and Darwin are both scheming my demise.....

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Went from lcp to G43 or EC9S and spare mag.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Papag
Went from lcp to G43 or EC9S and spare mag.

Not exactly a sea change in philosophy, but a small directional improvement......................very personal topic, so to each his own.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No change here. For reasons stated by TRH, I liked the Glock 26 until the Sig P365 replaced it. They both shoot well at distance, with the edge to the lighter, almost single action trigger of the Sig. I can't say that I would go someplace with a Glock 19 that I wouldn't go with the Sig.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've carried a G19 for years now as my primary. I had recently switched to a Sig P320 X-compact with a red dot. However, after picking up a P365 from a friend, I've started carrying it a lot in a Vedder light tuck. Put on a green CT laser, Talon grips and Grayguns straight trigger. !2rd mag on board and a 15rd in my pocket.

Smaller, easier to carry in warm weather (especially at work) with just a shirt untucked over it, but still very good capacity.

[Linked Image]

Edited to say that my my EDC philosophy really hasn't changed. Which is:
1) have a gun
2) have a gun that I can shoot well (i.e.: head shots at 15 yds minimum) For me, with this size gun, this is where the green CT comes in and shines (no pun intended).
3) have as much capacity as possible
4) have a backup gun nearby if possible (do 95% of time)
5) practice with that specific gun every week (every Monday for me)

Last edited by RyanTX; 04/01/20.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,489
Posts18,452,075
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.