Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
I know there's still some at retailers, but I just checked a major distributor and they are out of stock of even rounds like 10mm, 357Sig and 40 S&W.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A week before it all really hit - I was at Cabela's - first thing off the shelf was 9mm.

Depleted but not gone 223

45 ACP was full.

45 Colt and other "revolver" cartridges were all in fat supply.

Nother reason to have a wheel gun.

Me

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Rogers sporting goods has a bunch of 9mm fmj ammo. Prices are not great, but they do have free shipping.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lone wolf
Rogers sporting goods has a bunch of 9mm fmj ammo. Prices are not great, but they do have free shipping.

$275/1000 is worse than not great.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If you can find 9mm any cheaper, let me know. Being an election year and this dam virus, I think prices will only go up from here. Take a look on gunbroker prices are crazy over there, and it is selling. I hope I'm wrong on this... I have a good stock pile, but always looking to add.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I take no joy in being the prophet of doom, but...

I think this latest scare will keep demand up for a couple months after the quarantine is over--people who couldn't get ammo will buy it when it comes back in stock, keeping shelves empty for awhile.

Then, as the election heats up, demand will increase out of fear that a Dem will get elected, especially since all the Dem's are preaching MAJOR gun restrictions.

If the Dem does get elected (God help us), demand will go off the charts. For the first year following the election, I predict you'll see insane prices. 9mm will be $20/box of 50 cartridges. A case of 1000 .223/5.56 will be $500+. .22lr will be 10 cents per round or higher. It won't be pretty. I've always turned my nose up at the notion of handloading for 9mm, but...my Dillon conversion kit is scheduled to arrive on Friday.

People bitch about "hoarders" during these times of shortage, but they refuse to stock up when there are supplies on the shelves. If every registered member on this site doesn't have everything they think they need by now, I feel no pity for them. If you think you need 25,000 rds of .22lr you should have bought it when it was 3 cents per round. 9mm metal case ammo could have been had for $6.50/box just 60 days ago, etc.

If you want to be able to handload anything for the next 10 years, you best get your components now before prices go up astronomically, and while you can get stuff at all (remember the primer shortage from a few years ago?) We may not see another Republican president for who knows how long. If the Dems get control of both houses too...I don't even want to think what will happen to firearms and ammo.

If you want it, buy it now.

Good luck to us all.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
For those that have been in the shooting and hunting sport for 10 or more years, and are short on ammo or reloading supplies, shame on you.

NRA Patron
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I really have lots of 22lr ammo, and 45 auto and 9mm.. The only 9 I have is a Ruger 1911 model.. Only use it for plinking.. My revolvers are my main stay.. I have lots of ammo loaded and more ready to load... Before the virus, we didn't travel to heavily populated places anymore, I always keep three or four revolves handy in the cab and my wife a couple more.. Plus we keep and ar and 870 with an extended magazine in the truck also.. Then my hunting weapons are stashed around.. While autos seem to be the thing, I have shot revolves for 50 + years, I have faith in them that does not extend to autos.. I also live in quiet area, and a quiet state...

Molon Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dale06
For those that have been in the shooting and hunting sport for 10 or more years, and are short on ammo or reloading supplies, shame on you.

Think if you'd geared up for the last 15 years.. and then gaze at my avatar. grin

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bass pro has Herters ( Winchester ) in stock. $85/500. Free shipping

With tax. $.18 / rd to me.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
scratch that.

Just got email saying it is backordered. Why the fug not jsut say that to start with?

Damn you Johnny Morris!

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
scratch that.

Just got email saying it is backordered. Why the fug not jsut say that to start with?

Damn you Johnny Morris!

$275/1000 is starting to look like a doable heifer at last call....Grins! 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haha. No doubt. Maybe last last call. When the lights are cut on, but you say fug it anyway. 😆

I stocked up when the Walmart’s was getting rid of the evil ammo.

For now, I’ll break into my steel case hoard.

P365’s don’t mind.

Last edited by BigDave39355; 04/02/20.

Dave

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
R

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A member made a pretty funny post recently...He said something similar “With all the stock piled ammo i have acquired”. “I’ll probably only get off one full mag before getting myself shot dead”.

I’am so that guy who would make Breaking News on every local new channel with my ammo hording...But, after ready the members post above...Made me think I should have invested in a hardened shooting room. Laffin.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The only problem is that, unless you have a near warehouse full, even having a couple of thousand round cases of range 9mm isn't going to make you, in the present climate of ammo shortage, feel like you can go to the range and blast away like normal. But I guess having a couple thousand rounds makes you feel okay firing off a couple of mags full from time to time, just to remind your motor memory of the skills you've spent a lifetime developing. But even then, a couple thousand rounds doesn't sound like nearly so much as it did just a month ago.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Indeed, that's why I snagged a not-insignificant number of .22LR even though I had an acceptable stash. Sure, it's not the same as shooting a CF but it keeps everyone is decent form. I hope.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Waders

Why do folks wait till they get low or run out?
Whose fault is it?

We’ve been thru several ‘fear’ or ‘panic’ situations, some DON’T learn.
I’ll stop here or I’ll go into Rant mode.

Suffice it to say, I’m not in panic mode. I can only thank myself.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The only problem is that, unless you have a near warehouse full, even having a couple of thousand round cases of range 9mm isn't going to make you, in the present climate of ammo shortage, feel like you can go to the range and blast away like normal. But I guess having a couple thousand rounds makes you feel okay firing off a couple of mags full from time to time, just to remind your motor memory of the skills you've spent a lifetime developing. But even then, a couple thousand rounds doesn't sound like nearly so much as it did just a month ago.

That’s my thinking. Just to replace what you shoot know.

I don’t shoot often. Buts it’s fun to shoot 500 rds an afternoon.

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
Waders

Why do folks wait till they get low or run out?
Whose fault is it?

We’ve been thru several ‘fear’ or ‘panic’ situations, some DON’T learn.

They only have themselves to blame, because they are too cheap and too lazy to stock up. As YOU said, "some DON'T learn."

Like you, it baffles me...

Wade

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A Follow Up

The Next 2 quotes come from the Hunting Rifles Forum: 3-25-20

I will not live long enuff to shoot all the ammo or components I have............

under either circumstance! Comprende'

Originally Posted by RDW
If anyone is out of anything after 2008, 2012, Sandy Hook, Las Vegas...they are not bright enough to own firearms.

Last edited by jwall; 04/02/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I posted this on 2/19/18:

Originally Posted by Waders
If you identify an ammo that works well, go buy a few cases of it at www.targetsportsusa.com. They have the most consistent cheapest prices and give free shipping on a case of ammo. $250 to $275 for 5000 rounds to your door is a no-brainer to most--but you wait--there will be another scare after Trump gets un-elected and people will cry about shortages and prices. If anybody goes into the next shortage with less than 10,000 rounds of rimfire, they have nobody to blame but themselves. (But it won't stop them from begging for a box of 50 for their grandson so he can shoot a squirrel this weekend and feed his family...)

I posted this in the CAMPFIRE forum on 12/30/17:

Originally Posted by Waders
What a lot of people miss is the fact that it is cheaper to stock up in advance. When you need something, go to the closet and get what you bought 6 months ago.

When the next "ammo/gun scare" happens (and it will), people will cry loud and long about prices. They will sob how their grandson needs 50 rounds of .22 ammo and there is none to be found. They will want to buy a stripped AR lower, 2 pounds of powder, some primers, some brass, and some magazines for their pistol or AR--and they are going to lose their minds about prices and non-availability.

LISTEN UP: Buy stuff now. Continuously surf websites (Midway, Powder Valley, Midsouth, Brownells, Cabelas, everywhere!) for best prices and free shipping when you can get it. (I haven't paid for shipping in forever; I keep adding stuff to my carts at various websites and buy when there's a promotion.)

In the wake of the last election, by now everybody should have a half dozen stripped lowers, ten thousand rounds (or more) of .22lr ammo, a bunch of AR mags, and enough reloading components for the next decade. If you shoot factory ammo, you should be buying by the case from TargetSportsUSA.com (low prices and free shipping every time). As of 2 minutes ago, you can get brass cased 9mm shipped to your door for $0.19 per round, .45 ACP for $0.26 per round, and .22lr for $0.05 per round.

At my range, people don't even care about 9mm or .40 brass anymore. It's all in the bin. I even get .45 ACP brass about every other trip. That NEVER used to happen. Right now is the time to prepare for the next shortage. Yeah you have to part with your hard-earned money, but you will feel like a genius later.

OK, rant over. Best wishes to us all!

I can't help but wonder how many people "need stuff" after 4 years of massive supply and cheap prices...

Wade

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i think just from memory you get get three 9mm lead slugs out of a ounce of lead. if one were to have about 1500pounds of lead, that i t think if i did the math right, about24000 rounds. add to that buckets of range brass, cost is primer and powder.
come to think of it 8pounds of powder has 7000 ounces in a pound of powder, 8pound keg 56000grains. at about 4grains per load i ain't gonna worry about it.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Uh Huh, Uh Huh, I like it.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm sure .380, 9x19,.38 Special, .357, .40S&W, .45ACP are out of stock. Might try for 7,65 Browning, 9x18, .357 Sig, .45GAP, .44 Special. Now is not bad time to liquidate guns in calibers which normally don't sell well. The .40S&W is out because many bought police trade in guns. The Makarov round might still be available because although Bulgarian Makarovs, P-64s, CZ-82s were sold in quantity those guys usually tend to be collectors not shooters.

U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
357 Sig is out, as well, also 10mm.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Obviously the situation is very serious. Not surprised based on how the Chinese and the Russians answered the call.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hard to believe .40 S&W is out of stock.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Not only ammo.

I visited GT distributors site earlier, clicked on Glock mags, ,,,,,,out of stock.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I will not live long enuff to shoot all the ammo or components I have............

under either circumstance! Comprende'

Originally Posted by RDW
If anyone is out of anything after 2008, 2012, Sandy Hook, Las Vegas...they are not bright enough to own firearms.

When the horse is OUT of the barn............... > what about the door ?

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I have plenty of ammo and magazines.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

I have plenty of ammo and magazines.

Morning Sir..... I had NO doubt > grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just a FYI

For those in the Northwest that have a Bi-mart nearby, I'd give them a call.

Yesterday Bi-Mart in Medford, OR had received 'some' 9mm.

Did not query what 9mm or how much... as I've been in this boat before and like Waders and Jwall I learned to look ahead more than a couple of weeks.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
My, how this thread has drifted. I merely started it to inform people what was happening at the distributor level. I can't count the number of times I've heard people say "buy a gun in (unpopular caliber) because when things get tight, you'll still be able to find ammo for it". Now, we find this isn't really true. I'm sure retailers still have some in stock, but the pipeline is getting dry.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I can't count the number of times I've heard people say "buy a gun in (unpopular caliber) because when things get tight, you'll still be able to find ammo for it".

Now, we find this isn't really true. I'm sure retailers still have some in stock, but the pipeline is getting dry.

NOT to argue, just my observation:

This pic was taken 3-27-20 at my LGS
This is part of a cabinet/shelves with handgun ammo;
NO 9mm ammo.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IN same cabinet just to R of 9mm slot on 2nd shelf is 40 SW ammo.

This is JUST 1 day and I have not been back to check on REsupply and stocking.

Yes, Sample of 1 but done for my needs. I bought 1 box of 40 SW ammo.

On a parallel subject. In the 90s I discovered that During Hunting season IF you had
a 54 Cal Muzzleloader you could find/get things you could NOT find in 50 Cal.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by teal
A week before it all really hit - I was at Cabela's - first thing off the shelf was 9mm.

Depleted but not gone 223

45 ACP was full.

45 Colt and other "revolver" cartridges were all in fat supply.

Nother reason to have a wheel gun.

Another reason to be a hand loader, with a large supply of components! wink The “only” time I would have been caught low ow loading components was when I was in my early 20’s, raising a family on just above $100.00/week!
Just like the US is experiencing now.....needing supplies and we have to depend on the ChiComs. Never be dependent in a time of need! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I can't count the number of times I've heard people say "buy a gun in (unpopular caliber) because when things get tight, you'll still be able to find ammo for it".

Now, we find this isn't really true. I'm sure retailers still have some in stock, but the pipeline is getting dry.

NOT to argue, just my observation:

This pic was taken 3-27-20 at my LGS
This is part of a cabinet/shelves with handgun ammo;
NO 9mm ammo.

IN same cabinet just to R of 9mm slot on 2nd shelf is 40 SW ammo.

This is JUST 1 day and I have not been back to check on REsupply and stocking.

Yes, Sample of 1 but done for my needs. I bought 1 box of 40 SW ammo.

On a parallel subject. In the 90s I discovered that During Hunting season IF you had
a 54 Cal Muzzleloader you could find/get things you could NOT find in 50 Cal.

Jerry

I stopped by cabela's to pick up another box or two, (just topping off) 9mm was made of unobtanioum, but my rifle ammo, .450 Bushmaster, was available in 4 varieties.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
jwall--how many decades has that 38 Special been sitting there? Some of those boxes had graphics that haven't been used in many years. I just noticed Nyclads--those are collectors items. A few boxes of this, a few of that. One or two good customers could clean him out.

Last edited by UPhiker; 04/04/20.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
UP

I can't answer your question. I am a handloader and haven't bought much factory ammo in years.

There are other cabinets connected to that one and I was only interested in the 40 ammo and noticed the vacancies.
Regardless.... the pic speaks for itself.

I got my 40 SW in Feb and I don't intend to load for it.... having other weapons and well supplied with components. I have bought a few boxes of 40 for practice and S D purposes.

This GS is in a very good location and has lots of customers.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I scored 2 Glock 33 round mags yesterday. $44 apiece.. I also bought a 60 round Pmag drum.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i think just from memory you get get three 9mm lead slugs out of a ounce of lead. if one were to have about 1500pounds of lead, that i t think if i did the math right, about24000 rounds. add to that buckets of range brass, cost is primer and powder.
come to think of it 8pounds of powder has 7000 ounces in a pound of powder, 8pound keg 56000grains. at about 4grains per load i ain't gonna worry about it.

There are 16 oz per pound not 7000. There are 7000 GRAINS per pound.You can get 60 115 grain 9mm bullets per pound of lead.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 68 invisible), 2,924 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,479
Posts18,451,860
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.