Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Got into 1 of these scopes awhile back. Just curious how others use this reticle and what they use as their primary aiming point? MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a couple of old K3s with PCH reticles.

I use the top of the post as the the aim point. I use the cross-hair to help lead a moving target.

They were good scopes in their day, but their day is long past.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I got started with scopes with a post and crosshair. I had to remind myself to use the top of the post, not the intersection of the crosswire as an aiming point. When I got to the point where I looked at it like I would the front sight on an iron sighted rifle, I had no more trouble with it.
They show up very well in poor light, BTW.
When B&L came out with their tapered crosshair, I never went back.
Currently my favorite reticle is the Leupold Heavy Duplex. The Post &
Duplex is a close second. E

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Have one on a savage 99, aiming point is the top of the post

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Had a V7 with it. Me no likey.

Reg duplex or CPC preferred.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I had the 2 1/2 power model, but I prefer a duplex reticle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
PCH reticles were very popular in New England back in the 1960's.

Most of the people who I hunted with back then had a low magnification Redfield or Weaver with a PCH reticle on their lever, pump, or semi-auto hunting rifles. One of the first two scopes that I got was a K3 with a PCH reticle that was installed on a Ruger 44 International. Fifty plus years ago it was a good choice for the sort of still-hunting that rifle was bought for. The other rifle that I got at the same time was a Remington 660 in 6MM Rem with a 2-7x Weaver with a duplex reticle. I still have those rifles and the scopes. Today the K3 is installed on a 20 gauge Remington 870 rifled slug gun that has a cantilever scope mount.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have at least one, maybe two. I don't recall hunting with one, but I like the reticle. I would prefer a 4X or 6X, however. I've always used the very tip of the post for targets and just completely disregard the crosswire, though with a little experimentation the crosswire could probably be useful as an aiming point for longer distances.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
PCH reticles were very popular in New England back in the 1960's.

Most of the people who I hunted with back then had a low magnification Redfield or Weaver with a PCH reticle on their lever, pump, or semi-auto hunting rifles. One of the first two scopes that I got was a K3 with a PCH reticle that was installed on a Ruger 44 International. Fifty plus years ago it was a good choice for the sort of still-hunting that rifle was bought for. The other rifle that I got at the same time was a Remington 660 in 6MM Rem with a 2-7x Weaver with a duplex reticle. I still have those rifles and the scopes. Today the K3 is installed on a 20 gauge Remington 870 rifled slug gun that has a cantilever scope mount.

Yessir.
I have one on my 7600 carbine. That little .35 remains my go-to for tracking/stillhunting.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I have a 2.5 on a Ruger 44 carbine. It was on it when I bought the gun 30 years ago. Love the reticle though the glass coatings are poor compared to what’s available today. Highly recommend the reticle

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a few of them. Mostly 2.5 and 3x Weavers but also have a Redfield 2 3/4x PCH on my 400 Whelen. I really like the reticle. Fast to acquire and accurate enough for longer shots than one would think. If you have old PCH scopes you don't like please send them to me for disposal.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would be willing to wager a good chunk of money ( or maybe something even more valuable these days-toilet paper) that a 3x scope, with a post reticle will meet the needs of well over 90% of hunters..

The #1 reticle is very popular in Europe ( heavy lower vertical post with heavy horizontal posts ). A "post and cross hair" is a variation of the #1 ( or visa versa), so why wouldn't it be effective?

I like the post reticle for hunting. I have a Lyman All-American 2.5x PermaCenter scope with a post and crosshair on my Marlin 1894 44 mag. It meets (meats?) or exceeds my hunting needs. To me, a post reticle looks like a magnified front sight. Put it on the place you want to hit, and pull the trigger. Job done. Easily effective to 300 yards for big game. How many of use shoot further than that when hunting?

The Lyman's post is 4 moa over the horizontal wire. I sight it in so the top of the post is dead on for 75 yards. The intersection 4 moa lower on the post is dead on for 125 yards. I could set the post's top for 100 yards (and then the intersection is set for 150 yards); but, deer hunting in the Maine woods, 75 yards is a more realistic "pragmatic long " shot.

Somehow we get away from simple and effective devices in a quest for something we view as an improvement ( real or perceived). One of these days, someone will come to their senses and realize a fixed 2.5, 3x , 4x or 6x with a standard crosshair reticle works very well too.

KISS method applies here.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks for all the responses guys. I been using the top of the post as well , will figure out how high that makes me when using the intersection of post and crosshair. Seems simple enough. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by buttstock
One of these days, someone will come to their senses and realize a fixed 2.5, 3x , 4x or 6x with a standard crosshair reticle works very well too.

KISS method applies here.

Yep. And all the scope manufacturers will be hyping them as “new and revolutionary” and they’ll sell like hot cakes.😁

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 65 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,225
Posts18,466,565
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.