Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14734237 04/01/20
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just need to point something out.

Metro Milan has 1.3 million people and 6 hospitals. Things we call clinics they count as hospitals. They are state controlled and deliver the basics and have only the basics. Think VA, or less.

Metro Miami has 1.3 million people. There are 15 hospitals with 5x the number of beds that Milan has. They are better staffed, equipped, and run. That doesn't include another 12 hospitals up the road in Ft. Lauderdale.

Point is that US is not Italy, and is better equipped to deal with such an epidemic. We will not be Italy.

Sure NYC has a problem. 9 million people in a concentrated area is a challenge.

Look at Los Angeles. 11 Million people in the metro area, and they do not have the same crisis.

The US will be able to better cope with this while it didin't take much to crash Italy's health care system.

Food for thought.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'll add metro Atlanta and its 6 million people have so many hospitals that they can list the "TOP 25"

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/subscriber-only/2017/10/27/atlantas-top-25-hospitals.html

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Socialized medicine

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Hope to God your correct. I hate seeing any American die. Seeing body’s loaded with fork lifts and stacked in chapels is more than I ever thought I’d see

GOD Bless America
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The proof of the pudding is in the eating, as the Britishers like to say.....

We’ll know soon enough. But just because we are really good at boob jobs and liposuction doesn’t mean we’re good at high volume infectious disease treatment.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by hatari

Metro Milan has 1.3 million people and 6 hospitals. Things we call clinics they count as hospitals. They are state controlled and deliver the basics and have only the basics. Think VA, or less.

Metro Miami has 1.3 million people. There are 15 hospitals with 5x the number of beds that Milan has. They are better staffed, equipped, and run. That doesn't include another 12 hospitals up the road in Ft. Lauderdale.

Point is that US is not Italy, and is better equipped to deal with such an epidemic. We will not be Italy.

Look at Los Angeles. 11 Million people in the metro area, and they do not have the same crisis.

The US will be able to better cope with this while it didin't take much to crash Italy's health care system.

Food for thought.

You mentioned LA, Hat. You might should have included “yet”.

I sure agree with our ability to better cope than most but on this one the jury is still out.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
We have the best healthcare industry knowledge and skill in the World.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

I sure agree with our ability to better cope than most but on this one the jury is still out.

This is a unique situation. Nothing has impacted people all over the globe on this scale since WW II.

For a number of reasons, I'll go out on a limb and predict LA will not have the NYC experience. I could go out on a limb and say that other than hot spots like NYC area, NO, maybe Detroit that the rest of the country peaks right after Easter and the numbers start breaking our way.

Hope I'm right on this one.

One thing I do know is that these measures we are taking country wide are successful in breaking the transmission of disease in epidemics every time. I am trusting that science to continue the trend.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

This is a unique situation. Nothing has impacted people all over the globe on this scale since WW II.

For a number of reasons, I'll go out on a limb and predict LA will not have the NYC experience. I could go out on a limb and say that other than hot spots like NYC area, NO, maybe Detroit that the rest of the country peaks right after Easter and the numbers start breaking our way.

One thing I do know is that these measures we are taking country wide are successful in breaking the transmission of disease in epidemics every time. I am trusting that science to continue the trend.

LA doesn't have the population density of NYC, so it's likely you would be correct.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

LA doesn't have the population density of NYC, so it's likely you would be correct.

Yes. No subway, Warmer drier climate and a chance the virus made its rounds earlier before testing (guess on that one based on testimonials)

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I firmly believe the virus swept through California back in January and February. My wife was sicker'n a dog for 3 weeks with symptoms that match the Wuhan virus. At that same time frame we had 5 employees out sick with the same symptoms. This was before the shtf and there was no testing for this virus.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What did they do with all the bodies? How did it fizzle out? Or was that wuhan light?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Food for thought.

I don't doubt the US has better healthcare capabilities than Italy.

Plenty of people here in the US are going to get sick and die and there will be hot spots where facilities become overwhelmed.

But congrats on making your point.......

Last edited by duck911; 04/01/20.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Morewood
I firmly believe the virus swept through California back in January and February. My wife was sicker'n a dog for 3 weeks with symptoms that match the Wuhan virus. At that same time frame we had 5 employees out sick with the same symptoms. This was before the shtf and there was no testing for this virus.

Rush suggested that today.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Food for thought.

Not to mention Italy has "single payer" socialized medicine. "You get what you pay for"

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Morewood

Sure is convenient all y'all people wanting to be the first to have it stayed out of the ICUs until March. Or maybe it only affect the younger healthy folks and then decided to start preying on the elderly a bit later. Or, maybe y'all was just sick and there's not much more to it. I guess we'll never know. Here's to all those who had it and didn't die early.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Food for thought.

- Italy oldest population in Europe (median age 47 compared to US of 38)
- Multiple generations that typically live together
- More than 20% of the country smokes.

A lot of differences there that affect both the spread and the consequences.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've read a couple times that northern Italy, where most of the victims are, has a huge Chinese population, many living in tight dormitories or many crammed into tiny apartments, and working in sweat shop conditions. There's a lot of travel between Italy and China from workers going back and forth. I searched several times and can't find anything that tells how many of the cases are in the Chinese population. I'd like to know if this is Wuhan light. The reports are lacking info.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I think you are correct. We have had some mitigating measures in place nationally for a month. The numbers of people traveling and being exposed to large gatherings has dropped off dramatically beginning about 3 weeks ago. My belief is those mitigating actions have kept it from becoming widespread in most major metropolitan areas. We had over 1000 deaths in this country yesterday. I think we will see double than before we level off and start seeing a decline. Then what? This thing is ready to come roaring back when we let off the gas.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've read a couple times that northern Italy, where most of the victims are, has a huge Chinese population, many living in tight dormitories or many crammed into tiny apartments, and working in sweat shop conditions. There's a lot of travel between Italy and China from workers going back and forth. I searched several times and can't find anything that tells how many of the cases are in the Chinese population. I'd like to know if this is Wuhan light. The reports are lacking info.

It is my understanding that there are beaucoup Chinese that work in the fashion/garment industry in Milan. Fashion, shoes, leather etc. One report links those workers returning home for Chinese New Year and returning with the virus as major factor in turning Milan into a hot spot spot. I don't have that link, but that was also cited as the cause of Iran's blow up with the virus. Loads of Chinese workers returning for Chinese New Year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (21, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 2003and2013, 68 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.