24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And I wouldn't feel bad about 1-1/2" groups, using factory ammo in a relatively lightweight rifle in 7mm Mag.

I'd happily take a lightweight hunting rifle that could group 1-1/2" repeatedly, to the correct POA. Either several 3-shot groups to create a composite group (one target on top of another, on top of another, and so on) or an 8-10 shot group. Either, one shooting session or several. But the groups need to be centered on the target.

Last edited by 4th_point; 03/31/20.
BP-B6

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Still waiting for my non bedded 1999 Tikka 695 7Mag to "loosen up".

My T 3 Lite SS 270 bought in 2003 -- Very new production -- I'm still waiting too.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jwall

My T 3 Lite SS 270 bought in 2003 -- Very new production -- I'm still waiting too.

Jerry

Im still waiting for you guys to post your entries in the moa all day long challenge here too, but that will likely never happen. Like i said, they wont loosen up, if you only shoot a box/year. So, you guys can either put up or shut the fu ck up. Whats it going to be?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I took 1/2 the day off, does this work? If they just made paper that went “ping”

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Im still waiting for you guys to post your entries in the moa all day long challenge here too, but that will likely never happen.

Like i said, they wont loosen up, if you only shoot a box/year. So, you guys can either put up or shut the fu ck up. Whats it going to be?

The Sun will turn into Ice Cream before I WASTE that kind of ammo.

Secondly, YOU don't have ANY idea of how much or often I shoot! ! In SEVENTEEN years it has seen HUNDREDS of rounds.

YOU can't tell ME or anyone ELSE to Shut UP !

You are now DOOFUS II
[IGNORE]

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have two older 1975-1978 M65 Tikkas in 30-06 -- wood stocks and blue steel. I'm not oging to say they shoot sub MOA all day long, for two reasons. 1.) I've never shot one all day long, and 2.) I cannot shoot sub MOA all day long on any random day.

On a good average day, mine will shoot a little over an inch to an inch and a half from a hunting type rest with hunting grade bullets. On my better days, I have shot groups as tight as 0.625" with premium bullets and handloads. My favourite hunting bullet is a Barnes TSX 168 grain. That one is pretty consistently between 0.750" to an inch WHEN I DO MY PART. The triggers came from the factory at 3.25 pounds which I have not adjusted. They barely move and break cleanly every time. Each one of them has digested 100 rounds a year for 40 years. The stocks are free floated to the front of the recoil lug, and they don't jiggle or wiggle.

My T3 is a synthetic stainless in 6.5 Swede. Now there is a rifle. My worst group has been 2" at a hundred yards -- not the rifle's fault. Two days later with no adjustments it put 3 shots into 9/16" at 100, and routinely keeps most groups under an inch when I'm on my game. Any hunting rifle, and mine are all hunting rifles, that consistently puts 3 shots from a hunting type rest in the inch to inch and a half groups will fill freezers for years to come.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall

Jerry

Im still waiting for you guys to post your entries in the moa all day long challenge here too, but that will likely never happen. Like i said, they wont loosen up, if you only shoot a box/year. So, you guys can either put up or shut the fu ck up. Whats it going to be?

Hello there paper queen. While you're busy running your mouth and "busting" paper, I've whacked dozens of hogs and about 25 whitetail does. Instead of wasting my time with your dumbasss game I think I'll continue to whack pigs with my "loose" Tikkas.

BTW, you telling me to "shut the f*^% up" is laughable. It wouldn't take me 5 seconds to knock the taste out of your mouth.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
See you’ve been hitting the Thunderbird again.

Find any pics of you and all your elk yet?

[quote=jwall]Im still waiting for you guys to post your entries in the moa all day long challenge here too, but that will likely never happen. Like i said, they wont loosen up, if you only shoot a box/year. So, you guys can either put up or shut the fu ck up. Whats it going to be?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ok well, this thread has its course of attempting to be helpful.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by postoak
Originally Posted by Gtscotty
Originally Posted by Borchardt
There is a “speed bump” about middle of forearm. Mine shoots so well I hate to fiddle with it.

This, there are intentional contact patches on the plastic Tikka Lite and Superlite stocks. The Hunter and CTR stocks don't have these. I removed the bumps/patches from my Superlite, load workup seemed to get fussier after that, I'd just leave them next time around.

Did you not read where my Hunter T3X has them?

Nope, I was going off of what I'd seen on my T3 Hunter, it didn't have speed bumps or any sign that they'd been removed, but I bought it used and don't know how old it was. My CTR didn't either, but Lite and Superlite did.

Do you have a pictures of the speed bumps on your stock that you can post? They are formed into the plastic stocks, I'd be interested to see how they show up on the new wood stocks.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
That's one reason I probably won't mess with it. Although it doesn't group spectacularly, it seems to hold that first shot well from session to session.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by postoak
That's one reason I probably won't mess with it. Although it doesn't group spectacularly, it seems to hold that first shot well from session to session.

The same with my T3 Lite SS 270 bought in 2003 shortly after they were available.
Don’t know about free float.... Don’t care.

The ONLY time I’ve had to adjust the scope was in 2012 or 2013 AFTER I and the Rifle took a hard fall. Bounced to be exact.

It not only holds zero but still groups 1” or less when I’m calm & not rushed.

I also have a T 3X in 7 RM but just got it in 2017.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Do you have access to Reloader 26, and 162 gr Hornady ELD-X?

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Regarding the original question, my CTR was fully floated. My 270 stainless light was not, A 708, then the seven rem mag, then a 708 superlite, then another 708 were all not floated.

I floated them all. It only took a few minutes with the Dremel wheel. I really think it helped especially when shooting from field positions or on different rests.

Years ago after reading about the imprints on the lug I pulled the rifles I had at the time to check. The seven rem mag had faint impressions. They were too fine for me to measure it with my calipers. The gun shot so well I didn’t worry about it.

One thing that I have found with consistency is when I reassemble the rifles I stand them on their butt and give them a smack. Then I tighten the front screw to about 25 pounds then I do the back screw till about 15, then the front to 35 inCh the back to 35. I have not had any problems with them walking or opening up. I have not shot the MOA challenge with them I suppose I could when the Ranges reopen. I am down to two 708s right The older one has a high round count and it’s still doing fine.

Regarding the post where @ 7/rem mag will not shoot with factory ammo as well as wanted, maybe try another brand and weight? Mine loved 162 Amax and ELD over each 1000 at 2950 and mag length

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
IDMilton - I tried Winchester, Remington-Peters, and Federal. Since I knew my handloads would do better, I abandoned the factory ammo after those three. BTW, those were 3 shot groups. Tikka says their rifles will shoot 5 shot groups an inch or under, right? Guaranteed! But as many others have pointed out, when you have one that doesn't, there's no procedure for getting another one from them. I'll stick with X-bolts and Vanguards, both of which are more accurate than Tikka's IME.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
130 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 17 invisible), 1,884 guests, and 902 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,659
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.