Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by logcutter
I love that country..I lived in the Deadwood area for two seasons logging..Could come in three ways..Capehorn/Clear creek and from Landmark...Scott mountain was out for our traffic...I took my honeymoon back in there..Awesome country but to many people any more for me..There are tons of hot springs in the area..Go figure..LOL
Idaho has lots of hot springs. A while back I thought I'd get a book I'd heard about listing all the springs in Idaho, titled "Complete Guide to Idaho Hot Springs". I found it on Amazon...$145...and that's for a used paperback. I declined. There are lots of websites with the same info.

Quakes can have some unexpected results. Some friends of our have a little land 20 miles west of Twin Falls. After the Borah quake, they had to revise their irrigation procedures. The slope of the land had changed just enough to screw up the water flows. It was all running the wrong way. And that was 80 to 100 miles from the quake.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
One of my field sites is about 5 miles from the epicenter. I was about 75 miles away when the quake hit but didn’t feel a thing. I was driving at the time, apparently

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The spring we used to raise fish on south of Challis was bumped by the 83 Borah quake from a little 2 CFS spring to nothing for a few days, and then came back at over 30 CFS. It’s been gradually declining ever since down to about 9 CFS last I heard. Wonder what happened this time?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Hunted elk around Challis a couple times. Nice country, I hear from family there that the elk herds are hurting, because of the wolves. Stanley is a nice area, great fly fishing in that area!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Heym06
Hunted elk around Challis a couple times. Nice country, I hear from family there that the elk herds are hurting, because of the wolves. Stanley is a nice area, great fly fishing in that area!

My personal opinion from my observations, no scientific backing...I think the elk have moved farther south into 48, 49, and 50. Those units have surplus cows and tags are easy to get, some are OTC. There's a lot of competition for bull tags, though. There are wolves there but not in the numbers that you find farther north.

― George Orwell

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Forest Service just posted effects of the quake on the Middle Fork.

Middle Fork of the Salmon River Update: After the magnitude 6.5 earthquake near Shake Creek on the evening of Tuesday March 31, the Forest has had several reports on conditions on the Middle Fork Salmon River.

• Graphs from the United States Geological Survey (USGS) Current Water Data for Idaho for Streamflow website, water levels at the USGS 13309220 MF SALMON RIVER AT MF LODGE NR YELLOW PINE ID station was flowing at approximately 520 cubic feet per second at the time of the earthquake. The flow dropped to approximately 308 cfs by mid-day on April 1, 2020 and then increased to approximately 712 cfs by 6:00 a.m. on April 2, 2020. Currently, the water level has begun to drop again, with the most current value of approximately 634 cfs as of 9:45 am on April 2.

• Recent seismic activity has caused a debris and rock slides along the upper reaches of the Middle Fork of the Salmon River:

o Trees and debris that may be hazardous have likely entered the river system as a result of the recent seismic activity. We have a report of a single tree is laying 90 degrees to the river just upstream from Pistol Rapids near Lake Creek to the river. This tree is almost all the way across the river. Observers indicate the tree should move with high water.

o Below Boundary Creek Boat Launch, we have reports of multiple small avalanches and rock slides which have not blocked the river.

o Above Boundary Creek Boat Launch to the to the headwaters where Marsh Creek and Bear Valley Creek converge to form the Middle Fork of the Salmon River, there are multiple large avalanches and debris slides which have caused blockages of the river. A couple of these slides have damned up the river but the river is either starting to flow around or under the slides.

The Forest is continuing to coordinating with other agencies on the conditions along the Middle Fork of the Salmon River and is continuing to investigate.

The river is currently closed to boating from Dagger Falls to the confluence with the main Salmon River.

Last edited by Steve; 04/02/20.

Carpe' Scrotum
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Love the Middle Fork area. I worked there in the summers of 1962, 1963 and 1964, and have been back twice.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Lochsa: Well thankfully you were not hit by a falling rock or hurt.
I almost forgot - as I am sitting here in my office/library/computer room looking down on me is a "moody" late afternoon picture I took and had enlarged of "Stanley Lake"!
It is one of my all time favorite pictures and I took it probably 35 years ago with my Nikkormat EL.
Again glad YOU weren't hurt/scared.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Steve: Thank you very much for that update - I appreciate it.
I have been on two long term jet boat ventures on the Salmon River - one was a early summer shed horn collecting venture (six days IIRC) and the other was a week long spring Bear Hunting trip on which we did a lot of fishing (I caught and released a 100 pound Sturgeon!).
That is stunningly beautiful country and I wish I could do more over that'away.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Dutch: That is interesting about the stopping then the ebb and flow of your spring.
For many years I used to back pack archery Hunt Elk in the Anaconda/Pintlar (old spelling!) Wilderness and my partner and I became dependent on a "spring" that flowed out of a granite wall.
The spring flowed at about a gallon a minute and was crystal clear once we gathered it.
We used it maybe 12 years or so.
Then the fall after a summer earthquake centered about 30 air miles east of "my" spring it did not flow that year!
Put a burden on us as we had quit bringing water purifying gear with us!
That was the last year I tried to use that "spring" - I wonder if it has resumed its flow.
That spring is about 5 miles from the trailhead and the Wolves have decimated the Elk in that area so I probably won't ever know if my spring has come back.
Nature amazes me, so often.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I checked with the guy that’s running it today, and the spring is up about 3 CFS, or about 25% or so. He was out on the farm, but didn’t notice the quake.

I rarely notice tremors at my farm, either. I wonder if there’s something specific about the geology around warm springs that reduces the surface movement?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This FB post has some aerial photos of the slides on the Middle Fork. Blocked the river for a time.

https://www.facebook.com/wildernessriver/posts/10163619938850495

Carpe' Scrotum
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Steve: Thanks for the link to those pictures - again Mother Nature is amazing.
Thankfully another "Quake Lake" was not formed by those landslides!
Amazing.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve

This FB post has some aerial photos of the slides on the Middle Fork. Blocked the river for a time.

https://www.facebook.com/wildernessriver/posts/10163619938850495
I wonder if that slide was rocks or just snow that the river was able to melt.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Google Sawtooth Wilderness Area. The mountains are spectacular. Stanley Lake is just outside it and McGowen Peak is inside of it.
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
This scene (thanks for the photos) looks a lot like - and reminds me of - Alice Lake, one of the many such lakes we have encountered up in the Sawtooth Range. Our family and another hiked up from Petit Lake at lower elevation on the road south from Stanley and encountered Alice Lake after an hour or so. Just beautiful, pristine, snow on the sides in August - and quickly caught some trout to cook for lunch. We wandered the trails up in there and found two or three others in the area - all just as nice. We did not see one other soul on those trails - was back in 1980. Thanks again.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

714 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 3,092 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,963
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.