Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
What do you all make of this ladder test for 7mm-08? I've see velocity go down slightly after a peak, but never this drastically, and never seen one stay down as I approached book max. Oddly enough I had some old loads (same components) from another gun at 46.5 grains and they chrono'd about 2910 fps several months back, but the groups weren't great.

Suggestions?

Attached Images
7mm-08 ladder test.pdf (48.3 KB, 68 downloads)
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I’ll take a stab...one of two things:

1. You hit max at 46.5, and things went downhill afterwards. You didn’t list the powder, so hard to tell how likely. 46.5 isn’t a big charge for the 7-08, but charge size is relative to powder...not so much for H414, over for RL15

2. Your chrono got screwy from overhead sun angle/shadow or Ive even seen low batteries give odd numbers. Did the standard deviation go up when the velocity dropped off?

Last edited by TomM1; 03/30/20.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by TomM1
I’ll take a stab...one of two things:

1. You hit max at 46.5, and things went downhill afterwards. You didn’t list the powder, so hard to tell how likely. 46.5 isn’t a big charge for the 7-08, but charge size is relative to powder...not so much for H414, over for RL15

2. Your chrono got screwy from overhead sun angle/shadow or Ive even seen low batteries give odd numbers. Did the standard deviation go up when the velocity dropped off?

Big Game powder. Book max is 47.5. This was a new bottle of powder.
Magnetospeed chrono, so sun shouldn't be an issue.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't recall the speeds dropping a lot, not enough to matter anyway, but every time I hit adding powder and getting not much if any increase it means in that particular situation I am at the max and need to back off.

Book max vs a guns max can be quite a bit off...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
This is what happens when the powder you are using too slow a powder for your rifle/component combination.

Step the speed of your powder up a notch. As an example, if you are using H4831, go to H4350, or from H4350 to H4895.

This should fix your problem.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Its pretty obvious that you are at max with your rifle and load at around 46.3gr. After that, your rifle just isn't burning all the powder you are throwing at it... I've seen that using RL26 in the 270w. On to a different powder if it were me. On a side note, you should probably be running a magnum primer when using big game in the 7mm08. You'll likely get a better burn and it has been highly suggested by guys that use the 7mm08 religiously... Pharm in particular..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Its pretty obvious that you are at max with your rifle and load at around 46.3gr. After that, your rifle just isn't burning all the powder you are throwing at it... I've seen that using RL26 in the 270w. On to a different powder if it were me. .

Interesting. I learn something every day. I thought I would see pressure signs and excessive velocity before I got into powder not burning.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
On a side note, you should probably be running a magnum primer when using big game in the 7mm08. You'll likely get a better burn and it has been highly suggested by guys that use the 7mm08 religiously... Pharm in particular..
May try that and re-run ladder test and see what happens.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Did you start with a clean barrel, odd things can happen until the bore is seasoned with a bit of copper, especially a new one.
A layer of fouling reduces friction which can result in a corresponding drop in pressure and velocity

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Did you start with a clean barrel, odd things can happen until the bore is seasoned with a bit of copper, especially a new one.
A layer of fouling reduces friction which can result in a corresponding drop in pressure and velocity

Wasn't clean or new.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by rost495
I don't recall the speeds dropping a lot, not enough to matter anyway, but every time I hit adding powder and getting not much if any increase it means in that particular situation I am at the max and need to back off.

Book max vs a guns max can be quite a bit off...

Agreed. Once velocities start to plateau it’s time to call it a day and back off a grain or two. Maximum has been reached and you just have to accept what that load combination gives you.

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Before commenting on your results, I would need to know number of shots fired per each charge weight.

40 to 50 fps can be no more than noise if using a single shot for a graph point. If each point on the graph is an average of five shots, that is a different matter entirely.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Before commenting on your results, I would need to know number of shots fired per each charge weight.

40 to 50 fps can be no more than noise if using a single shot for a graph point. If each point on the graph is an average of five shots, that is a different matter entirely.

Only 1 shot per weight. This was the first try with this particular combination.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I would go back and load three each at least, preferably five each at 45.9 gr, 46.2 gr, 46.5 gr, and 46.8 gr. And I would be loading any relatively slow ball power with CCI 250 primers.

This will confirm if you are seeing actual decline in velocity with increased powder charge, or if you graph is simply the result of velocity variation at charge weight.

I have seen many bullet powder combinations which give 100+fps velocity spread with identical charge weights. Such large variations are more common in magnum capacity cases, but not unheard of in the 308 class.

Such variation will quickly rule out a powder for use in a particular bullet/barrel combination. But during load workup, it will produce some very quirky graphs.

Look at what these guys have to say: https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/ramshot-big-game-7mm-08.216196/

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 62 invisible), 2,378 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,244
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.