Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
No way in the world would I pay the money for a custom rifle. First off I lack the income to get one, shoot I lack the income to get the expensive factory rifle's. You have a factory rifle that shoot's 1" groups, you have far more accuracy than required for hunting pretty much anything! American hunter's seem to see themselves more as shooter's anymore and less as hunter's. rather than get closer the want to shoot farther! Answer seem's to be spend the money on a custom rifle or expensive factory rifle. Yet I don't recall many people bragging about how accurate their Weatherby MK 5 is. But they will tell you what it cost. For myself I'll stick to my factory rifles, more inexpensive one's. Haven't had much trouble getting them to shoot very well and I'm not into long range for big game. I think at this point if I were a long range hunter, one of my factory rifles would fill the bill very nicely!

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had that opinion that firearms are either heirloom (ones that may be passed down from one generation to the next) and disposable, used for a specific "tool" purpose and eventually disposed of (modern duck shotguns remind me of this category). When manufacturers began putting barreled actions in Tupperware stocks is when I thought they transitioned to disposable. Fine walnut and blued steel never goes out of style, pre-64 Winchesters and customs remind me of this. Modern precision rifles throw a wrench in this opinion as they represent the state of the art in fabrication and accuracy, pushing the limits of cartridge and rifle. High quality stocks, precision machined receivers and carbon barrels represent the cutting edge of the sport but it's becoming hard to keep up with the changes. I really started paying attention to rifles in the 80s and not much really happened for a decade or so then it seems like everything changed overnight. Although most rifles produced today shoot better than they did a decade or so, so have shooters become more demanding. I visit gun shops every opportunity I can but nothing inspires me to go for my wallet these days with the exception of Christensen Arms. I have a safe full of Model 70s (been selling them off one by one) but my experience with the CA Ridgelines has been quite favorable and they shoot right out of the box, no rebarrel, bedding, stocking, trigger work, just mount a scope and shoot. I know Tikka has a growing reputation and are quite popular but the leave me cold just like the others. All said, I appreciate heirloom firearms but rifles are about precision and only accurate rifles are interesting so I continue to appreciate modern precision rifles..

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like both for different reasons. However, custom rifles (those of modern materials are in this group) seem to need as much attention after delivery as a factory rifle. I've had customs from different big name 'smiths that needed attention for chamber issues, failure to feed and bedding issues and some of them still shot no better than factory. With this in mind, I stay more in the factory arena now or consider remage setups on custom actions.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a few customs that I've bought secondhand and let the original owner take the hit on them once they've gotten bored. I tend to gravitate to older guns that are blued and wood stocked. For the most part I despise all the new rifles that are beadblasted and thrown into cheaply made stocks. They may shoot, but they're hideous. To each their own.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
While I have a handful of custom rifles, I have another handful of factory rifles that are just as awesome in their own way and application. I would put their fit and finish and performance against many custom builds. I’m not talking run of the mill Brownings, Rems, Winny’s and the likes......also, I’m quite the opposite, I will likely (not saying never) not build another custom rifle. I would look for the right factory rifles and/or buy someone else’s custom they’ve grown tired or bored with. It’s a losing proposition to build and sell, build and sell.....

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Higbean
I guess I'm a "jazz snob" of sorts, but I haven't cared what any of the big name rifle mfg'ers are building for quite a while now.

Fieldcraft was cool, but that's about it.

I can't be the only one.

Who's with me?

Montucky 7 Whizzum

Winny 70 CRPF Laminate 'Yote 7 Whizzum

All thangs S/A Fieldcraft

Montucky 223

Every 700 in 280 and 7mm RemMag

700 243Win's

Ruger 77's in 22LR,17HMR,WSM and Hornet

Vudoo

Annie 54's

Teeker 8" 22-250

700's in Twat-Six

700's in 300 Winny Belted

Any/all 6/6.5 Kreedmires wearing AICS DBM bottom

Boolits tend to matter and RPM/Throat/COAL alignment...is how Splendors are arranged. Hint.

Pardon my shooting it all and then some.

Hint...………..

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by d500lnn
While I have a handful of custom rifles, I have another handful of factory rifles that are just as awesome in their own way and application. I would put their fit and finish and performance against many custom builds. I’m not talking run of the mill Brownings, Rems, Winny’s and the likes......also, I’m quite the opposite, I will likely (not saying never) not build another custom rifle. I would look for the right factory rifles and/or buy someone else’s custom they’ve grown tired or bored with. It’s a losing proposition to build and sell, build and sell.....

10/4

All except the Merkel K3 were purchased pre-enjoyed, at a value!

Other than rings/base and scopes, as stock as the day they left the factory!

[Linked Image from i38.photobucket.com]

Sako AV, Deluxe, 280 Remington

Dakota 76 Alpine, 280 Remington

Luxus Model 11 LT, 280 Remington

Blaser K95's Top: 30-06 Springfield, Bottom: 270 Winchester

Ruger #1's, 375 H&H, 300 H&H

Merkel K3 Extrem, 270 Winchester

A coupla' Steyrs, Carbine: 7mm-08, FS, 6.5 x 55 SE

Sauer 200, 30-06 Springfield

a few Cooper single shots!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 04/01/20.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Don't agree.

I have purchased a few factory rifles in the last 5 years. I'm very happy with them. All very well made. All accurate.

Win m70 Extreme Weather 30-06 ("BACO" made/assembled in USA).
Win m70 Sporter 30-06 ( "BACO" made/assembled in USA).

Tikka T3 Varmint 308 Win

Weatherby Vanguard S2 , 270 Win (nice 2-stage HAct trigger, 3-position safety, nice injected molded stock, 0.75 moa or better.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For the most part, manufacturers have become much better at putting out very accurate rifles. I speculate most of us don't have the ability to tap into the full potential of a lot of factory rifles, even the cheaper ones. To many, getting a bedding job done, putting on an aftermarket stock and/or putting in a high quality trigger is akin to having a custom made AND can be a significantly better and more cost effective option. To each their own.

I'm lucky. In buying a Kimber Montana/Ascent, etc., Fieldcraft, Seekins and others, I am able to get what fits me and works for me and is capable beyond my own abilities at a cost less than a custom. Heck, my first custom I put together about 30 years ago amounted to what is now a Kimber Montana at a significantly higher cost. Heck, in 1990 I think I paid just over $1800 to have that rifle put together. What is that in today's dollars? However, generally speaking, in time-adjusted dollars, I do think it is now "cheaper" (relative term, I know) to have a nice custom put together today than it was even 10 or 15 years ago. Competition, the free market and technological advances have put us into the golden age of center fire rifles, whether that be assembly line or custom.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 04/02/20.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
510 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 49 invisible), 2,246 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.