Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Terryk
Some were made by Colt, and some imported then Colt stamped. I think Uberti made the second or third generation reissue. I think the signature versions were made by Colt. Is that correct?

I found this answer on Colt Forum:

"All 3rd Generation Colt black powder models are also referred to as Signature Series Models.

A reprise of the original Colt Black Powder line, along with historic models not offered in the 2nd Generation, and a new series of Commemoratives, each model bears the Sam Colt signature on the back strap. These 3rd Generation models were manufactured under an authorized licensing agreement with Colt Firearms by Colt Black powder Arms Company – the same company (and many of the same craftsmen) responsible for the 2nd Generation Colt revolvers. Although parts for the Signature Series were cast in Italy, they were fully assembled and hand finished in the United States using the proprietary Colt formulas for bluing and color case hardening.

Colt Black Powder Arms Company Signature Series revolvers are regarded as authentic Colt pistols. The 3rd Generation models have original Colt markings, including the barrel address and serial number stampings. There are no foreign proof marks on these authentic Colt models."

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Terryk
Some were made by Colt, and some imported then Colt stamped. I think Uberti made the second or third generation reissue. I think the signature versions were made by Colt. Is that correct?
I don't know about the various generations, but when Colt first re-issued them, they were made by Iver Johnson, then in New York IIRC. They were then finished by Colt in the old Colt factory. Nothing Italian. Nothing Uberti or Armi San Marcos.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Just finished cleaning it. First I ran hot water through the barrel and cylinder. Then I soaked it all in moose milk (a mixture of Ballistol and water) inside and out. Then let it sit for a while. Then scrubbed the chambers and barrel, and wiped everything inside and out, leaving a slick film of Ballistol all over, and inside. I greased the cylinder pin (arbor?), then reassembled it and wiped it all down.

Don't forget to pull and clean the nipples (cones). If neglected, after a while they will practically weld themselves to the cylinder and you will have to heat them with a propane torch to get them out. That is IF you can get them out at all after they seize up. I strongly suggest after cleaning them, add a drop of Breakfree to the threads and pull and clean them after each shooting session. Black powder pistols are fun to shoot, but a damn pain to clean! Also, very unforgiving if not cleaned properly.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Just finished cleaning it. First I ran hot water through the barrel and cylinder. Then I soaked it all in moose milk (a mixture of Ballistol and water) inside and out. Then let it sit for a while. Then scrubbed the chambers and barrel, and wiped everything inside and out, leaving a slick film of Ballistol all over, and inside. I greased the cylinder pin (arbor?), then reassembled it and wiped it all down.

Don't forget to pull and clean the nipples (cones). If neglected, after a while they will practically weld themselves to the cylinder and you will have to heat them with a propane torch to get them out. That is IF you can get them out at all after they seize up. I strongly suggest after cleaning them, add a drop of Breakfree to the threads and pull and clean them after each shooting session. Black powder pistols are fun to shoot, but a damn pain to clean! Also, very unforgiving if not cleaned properly.

Yep, removing the nipples and soaking and rinsing them in hot water, then soaking then in moose milk was part of the procedure. Then another hot water rinse, then a spray down with pure Ballistol and a final wipe and blowout (with compressed air) before reinstalling.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

OK, Jose! I went to the range today, my back yard, and fired up the 1858 Remington Sheriff's. Pietta pistol. This is a great gun. Well made I got good groups.
Didn't feel like cleaning today I hosed it down with Ballistol, will clean tomorrow.
I even got the girlfriend to fire two cylinders, she likes it says it has less recoil than the .38 Smith and Wesson.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I like it. With that barrel length, is it harder to cram the balls into the chambers?

Also, you should have run some hot water through the barrel and chambers before spraying it down with Ballistol. That flushes out all the corrosive stuff.

PS Cabela's has them for $280.00.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like it. With that barrel length, is it harder to cram the balls into the chambers?

Also, you should have run some hot water through the barrel and chambers before spraying it down with Ballistol. That flushes out all the corrosive stuff.

PS Cabela's has them for $280.00.

No problem At all for this 60 year old man using .454 Hornady Roundballs and 30 grains of Pyrodex P
Way I clean mine is to take cylinder out and place cylinder in barely boiling water with the nipples up and water just barely covering cylinder nipples.
Remove after 3 or 4 minutes and place on paper towel nipples up.Use a rag to keep from burning your hand or run a piece of wire or coat hanger through cylinder pin hole.
While it is cooling off so it can be handled by bare hands I have water turned on in sink faucet and holding revolver upside down and muzzle down so water can run through the forcing cone of the barrel and out the muzzle of the barrel. This way none of the revolvers innards get any water on them. As soon as the water starts coming out of the muzzle clean it’s clean inside the barrel.then you can dry the inside of the barrel out with a patch or swab or paper towel patches,
Then oil the inside of the barrel to prevent rust(I am currently using Crisco shortening smeared on a 45 caliber swab but any thing except a petroleum based oil on the inside of the barrel.
Then turn to the cylinder which hopefully is cool enough to handle by now.
The cylinder should be perfectly clean and dry. You can take the nipples out and put some greas on the threads if you want to or just loosen them and just snug them back.
Take a rag or patch and clean outside of revolver and lightly oil outside it.
No need to detail strip the revolver ever time you shoot it.
20 minutes or less to do once you get the hang of it.

Last edited by bcraig; 04/06/20.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
It is easy to load. Usually I use a loading stand but yesterday I just used the little built in ramrod, no problem. Really nice little pistol

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Shot it again this afternoon. I think I only shot 36 rounds, which took over an hour, which is a sort of cool thing about these guns. How many hundreds of rounds of 9mm would I have shot in an hour?

Anyway, this thing is really breaking in nicely. Hardly a snag anymore. Even all the spent caps are just falling out, problem free, as the cylinder turns.

I could have shot more. The gun's operation was still slick after 36 rounds.

Here's my best six shot, 15 yard, group, using a six o'clock hold, shooting two-handed, standing freehand. About 2.5" high and 1" to the right using the tiny crude sights that my old eyes could hardly see.

[Linked Image]

Here's a shot of two of the US Military's service pistols, one in service 1860 to 1873 and one from 1911 to 1982 (modified in 1924 as illustrated).

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (219 Wasp, 1234, 2500HD, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 40 invisible), 2,711 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,925
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.