Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ribka
Without heavy govt ( tax payer) subsidies solar and wind don't per form that well, not that reliable required constant maintenance and was expensive. And I lived off the grid on wind and solar for 15 years.

]

The times, they are a-changing......

Sic Semper Tyrannis
BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Dutch
Without heavy govt ( tax payer) subsidies solar and wind don't per form that well, not that reliable required constant maintenance and was expensive. And I lived off the grid on wind and solar for 15 years.

]

The times, they are a-changing......

Was told that repeatedly 15 years ago and no measurable changes and I upgraded batterie , inverter panels wind turbine.( very expensive) . But I lived with it every day and didn't base my knowledge on internet articles wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve got a quote in my drawer for a complete solar system for my operation, including battery storage and installation, about 50KW continuous. With my power rate of 0.09 cents, the payback period is right at 5 years (I.e. 20% rate of return). The system is too big for net metering. If we could do net metering (no storage), the payback period is a little over 3 years.

All those numbers are pre-China tariffs.

I really don’t care what your six lite bulb system costs...it’s irrelevant compared to industrial scale generation.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think we have not seen the bottom yet for oil and pipeline stocks. However, with President Trump's "America First" premonition, that could change over night should he shut out foreign oil and move solely to American oil, such as shale or territorial waters off shore.

Some have already been mentioned:

E&P
XOM
CLR
OXY

Midstream:
WMB
ET
EPD
PSXP
KMI

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have worked in the oilfield my whole life some of the 50 cent stocks are one middle eastern upset from being 25 dollars. It has always been cyclic. Men don't want a Volt they want a deleted super duty that will roll coal. Oil isn't going away anytime soon. It is a limited resource that is essential and it will be more expensive again.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I’ve got a quote in my drawer for a complete solar system for my operation, including battery storage and installation, about 50KW continuous. With my power rate of 0.09 cents, the payback period is right at 5 years (I.e. 20% rate of return). The system is too big for net metering. If we could do net metering (no storage), the payback period is a little over 3 years.

All those numbers are pre-China tariffs.

I really don’t care what your six lite bulb system costs...it’s irrelevant compared to industrial scale generation.

I have a 7.75 kw net metered system on my home. After the tax credit we estimated a 7 year payback. However, it turns out that they undersized my system. I needed about a 10 kw system to offset my bill so I still get power bills although they are a lot smaller then before. My payback is now more like 10-12 years.

It's pretty common for solar sales people to undersize your system to make the numbers look better so you'll buy. I used big dog solar and they were a nightmare to deal with. I'd never use them again.

I still have problems with my inverter shutting down and restarting a while later all the time. That hurts my production a lot too. On a sunny day with the inverter not shutting down I'll produce about 52kw. With it clicking on and off I produce around 30kw. Of course big dog wont do anything about it even though the inverter manufacturer says there's a problem somewhere. I regret the whole thing but I really needed the tax credit last year so I went for it. My system was $20,000 but after federal and state tax credits it was about $12,500.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Could easily be the inverter. I yanked one yesterday because it kept showing an “inconsistent input voltage” error. I have13 other VFD’s running on the same power line without problems, so it’s the inverter, not the power.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
Low oil prices will cure low oil prices. The Middle East will become more and more unstable with low oil prices. The Saudis are whistling past the graveyard by engaging in a price war with Russia and the rest of OPEC. They’ll run out of cash within six to nine months and their kleptocracy will collapse just as soon as they run out of cash just like the rest of the kingdoms in the gulf. When that powder keg blows the price of oil will skyrocket. The Russians aren’t much better. Russia and OPEC/Saudi Arabia will make a deal sooner rather than later.

That is the way I see it, too. Both countries are playing a game of suicide.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
OXY was up almost 30 per cent today. Glad I gambled and picked a lot last week. Sold my CLR for a profit. Shut down CLR trading temporarily today due to volatility. My AM is doing well. Its a gamble for sure

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Could easily be the inverter. I yanked one yesterday because it kept showing an “inconsistent input voltage” error. I have13 other VFD’s running on the same power line without problems, so it’s the inverter, not the power.

I think I do have a bad invertor. It worked fine for the first month or so and then started shutting itself down. They say it's voltage spikes on the grid but no one else around is having problems. I had them reset the country code and now it restarts quicker when it goes down. It used to say click off at noon and not restart until about 1:30 or 2:00pm. It sucks missing peak hours. The invertor manufacturer first said it was fine but after monitoring it they said it was shutting off a lot due to the grid voltage. Big dog won't come check it because they say it's producing something each day. Power company says the grid is fine, no other complaints. Invertor manufacturer won't download anything until big dog checks it.

Bb

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would send them both an invitation to explain it to the small claims judge......

Sic Semper Tyrannis
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My XOM @ 36.50$/share is looking up,,,,for the moment. I’m prepared to sit for a while.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OXY was up almost 30 per cent today. Glad I gambled and picked a lot last week. Sold my CLR for a profit. Shut down CLR trading temporarily today due to volatility. My AM is doing well. Its a gamble for sure

AM is supported by AR who has natural gas hedged successfully.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

Originally Posted by Old_Toot
My XOM @ 36.50$/share is looking up,,,,for the moment. I’m prepared to sit for a while.

Good price I think.

I was happy when I picked up at 37.25.

Thats one of the reason I picked AM up. Its still a gamble.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

I picked up COG at 16.03 a share last week. Good buy?

I know BA is not energy sector. I put in for more when it drops below $120, They just laid off a bunch of more workers. Obviously try and pick up cheaper for long term. Love to get in 90's again.

Last edited by ribka; 04/02/20.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I've bought some oil company stocks over the last couple of weeks, BP, XOM, and RDS-A & B. $20 oil isn't going to stay that way long so I grabbed some at the cheap prices.

RDS/a pay tax on dividends to the Dutch. I would stick with b shares.
Read recently that some missiles were intercepted over Saudi Arabia. A few direct hits would send oil sky high.
Hasbeen

Yes, if your in the US always buy RDSb not a. Unless your a European citizen you pay a 15% tax on a share dividends. b shares are from the British exchange and don't have the 15% dutch tax. I had to explain this to my broker a few weeks ago. He tried to buy me a shares because that's what he had just bought himself. I insisted on b shares.

Bb

Well sheit, this is good to know. I bought RDS/A shares on 3/18 for 22.45. Sitting on a 73% gain right now, but didn't know about the tax on dividends. Things were moving so quick that day I wanted to get money to work.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by cotis
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I've bought some oil company stocks over the last couple of weeks, BP, XOM, and RDS-A & B. $20 oil isn't going to stay that way long so I grabbed some at the cheap prices.

RDS/a pay tax on dividends to the Dutch. I would stick with b shares.
Read recently that some missiles were intercepted over Saudi Arabia. A few direct hits would send oil sky high.
Hasbeen

Yes, if your in the US always buy RDSb not a. Unless your a European citizen you pay a 15% tax on a share dividends. b shares are from the British exchange and don't have the 15% dutch tax. I had to explain this to my broker a few weeks ago. He tried to buy me a shares because that's what he had just bought himself. I insisted on b shares.

Bb

Well sheit, this is good to know. I bought RDS/A shares on 3/18 for 22.45. Sitting on a 73% gain right now, but didn't know about the tax on dividends. Things were moving so quick that day I wanted to get money to work.

Your ok, if you plan to hold it long term watch for a day that a is more money than b. It's been that way a lot lately. Sell your a and immediately buy b. One the right day you'll pick up a few shares. The price of the 2 is always close so you still did the right thing getting in when you did. Unless you have to pay huge commissions like I did at ed jones.

I bought 1102 shares about that same day and sold it already when it hit close to 33. Wish I would have held it until today but I did pretty well. I'm not sure what to buy now. I got a large chunk over to fidelity so I can do much cheaper trades but I'm not sure what to buy.

Bb

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
119 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 16 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 849 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,684
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.