Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Like other rounds from that era, there are two levels of .32/20 loads, 1873/revolver and 1892 Winchester family. I'd steer clear of using the first type, and use the other up to maybe 100 yards. Back in the day, lots of deer were taken with the high-speed loads, but serious hunters will use something with more power and range under most conditions now. For shooting does, say over a food plot, sure, but not with the anemic factory loads out there now, which are small-game or turkey loads.

Do some research, load up some hot ones, and go for it. Paco Kelly has some good stuff on his site, IIRC.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/3220wcf.htm

Pappy that’s a good point and one I should have mentioned - the 1892 loads are much more suitable if a deer is really what you want to take.......if I ever do take a deer with that 1873 it will be with a 115 grain lead load that the ‘73 likes and the deer would be within 30 yards or so - and like I said before if that never happens so be it.

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 03/03/20.
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator
Would you shoot a whitetail (at relatively close range: 100 yards or less) with a .32-20? I've got a m92 that I'd like to hunt with at least once because of who it belonged to, but I'm on the fence. The energy is pretty anemic, but it's still almost an 8mm.

And yes, I know a .22 to the head would work... but I don't plan to shoot behind the ear, so I'm asking about standard vital shots.

Yes, I would if I could make up some H.V. loads. say a 115 gr at 1800-2000 fps. I wouldn't use it much past 100 yards though. The .32-20 and .30 carbine were pretty popular around Foster, OR in the 50's as kids guns. The shots were pretty close and the deer weren't usually very large but a lot of them died. The first rifle I was given was a .32-20 Model 1892. It had been my older brother-in-laws first deer gun. He had killed several blacktails with it. I couldn't find any H.V. ammo though. His dad even used a .25-20 Remington pump on a few deer.

When I got a bit older I was lent more powerful rifles. Two different 25-35 Model 1894 Winchesers. They killed deer just fine. .

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by PennDog
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Windfall
If your .32-20 is anything like my .25-20 M92, it was used back in the black powder corrosive priming days and while I'm sure that I could hit a 50 yard deer with mine, that bore isn't as pristine as I'd like. Accuracy coupled with that buck horn rear sight it would not be a big confidence booster compared with anything else in the gun safe. While Jim Jordan gunned his big buck with a M92 .25-20, if he hadn't broken it's back with one of his multiple shots, I don't think that there would have been a Jordan buck. Use enough gun. I have never found a good use for that little cartridge myself. Fun, but kind of useless imo.

Agreed

May be missing something??! - one of the “funnest” guns I shoot is that Winchester Model 1873 - it has a single set trigger and with the right load can keep them clustered around an inch at fifty yards with the factory iron sights.....I use this rifle almost exclusively for pistol cartridge silhouette, fall turkeys (here in PA) and squirrels (again with the “right” load) it is a hoot and I have no doubt would kill a deer with the aforementioned caveats......I don’t have to take any shot on deer and haven’t yet but then again hunting has become much more about being out there than having to kill something (for me).

PennDog

'73 clones are the best CAS guns due to straight line feeding, fast actions that can be short stroked and run fast.

The '92's are some of the worst CAS guns due to angle feed, COAL sensitivity and tendency to jam when pushed fast and hard.

For hunting, the table turns. The '73's are weak compared to the '92's which are the strongest in class, including the Marlin.

You can't push '73 loads like you can '92's.

So, it's the best of both worlds, the worst of both worlds, depending on the game.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll tell you my experience hunting whitetails with the 32-20.

I originally bought an old, very well used Savage Model 23-C . I bought this rifle to hunt a few areas that were very close to civilization, more like a bow hunting patches. I don't bow hunt.

The first deer I shot in the lungs at a bout 40 yds. The buck ran of course and I found one pin drop of blood. I moved the deer out of some thick brush and a hunter close by shot him (thank God) within 3 minutes.

The second deer was a few days later at 50 feet. I took a neck shot and dropped the deer right there , dead. Bullet did not fully penetrate. I was using 100 gr Hornady XTP's.

The third deer was at about 80 yards. I shot the doe in the neck and it nearly did a back flip and laid motionless. As I approached her, within 25 yards she got up and ran. I think I shot her 3 more times in the lungs until she laid down down 60 yards away. My 357 magnum revolver ended her life.

I don't shoot deer with a 32-20 anymore. If it's a survival thing and that's all you've got, a neck or head shot close range will do I guess but there's many more ethical calibers to choose from otherwise.

Dan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dantheman
I'll tell you my experience hunting whitetails with the 32-20.

I originally bought an old, very well used Savage Model 23-C . I bought this rifle to hunt a few areas that were very close to civilization, more like a bow hunting patches. I don't bow hunt.

The first deer I shot in the lungs at a bout 40 yds. The buck ran of course and I found one pin drop of blood. I moved the deer out of some thick brush and a hunter close by shot him (thank God) within 3 minutes.

The second deer was a few days later at 50 feet. I took a neck shot and dropped the deer right there , dead. Bullet did not fully penetrate. I was using 100 gr Hornady XTP's.

The third deer was at about 80 yards. I shot the doe in the neck and it nearly did a back flip and laid motionless. As I approached her, within 25 yards she got up and ran. I think I shot her 3 more times in the lungs until she laid down down 60 yards away. My 357 magnum revolver ended her life.

I don't shoot deer with a 32-20 anymore. If it's a survival thing and that's all you've got, a neck or head shot close range will do I guess but there's many more ethical calibers to choose from otherwise.

Dan

I don't blame you. The 30-30 is about as low as I go for deer.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Best feral cat revolver and rifle I ever owned. Deer, no doubt it will do it but in 40 years of owning several 32-20's...I've not seen the need to use it. Had a friend whose brother only used a '92 in 32-20. To my knowledge he never lost one but he shot 'em up close and said he always waited until he could "shoot 'em in that white spot on their throat".

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

373 members (264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 29aholic, 10gaugeman, 53 invisible), 1,864 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,418
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.