Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I wouldn't over think this.

Tikka in whatever style he likes in 30-06.
SS 6x in Sportmatch rings.

There's more 30-06 ammo to choose from for a new Hunter than he can imagine. Plus there are reduced loads to get him started. There are light loads and heavy, cheap and expensive, premium bullets and not.

The 6x is a great scope and as a young shooter it is everything he needs at any range he should be shooting stuff. Plus it could be fun to learn the reticle or how to dial.

Sportmatch rings are simple and easy. You don't need a rail then rings or to find a set of machined Talley's.

Micky

“Lighten up Francis”
BP-B6

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I would skip the Howa/Vanguard. They might nice rifles but they're unusually heavy for what they are.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
It's early and I am on my first cup, but it appears that you asked for advice, got about three pages of replies, then decided to argue when the advice you got did not agree with your line of thinking.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
It's early and I am on my first cup, but it appears that you asked for advice, got about three pages of replies, then decided to argue when the advice you got did not agree with your line of thinking.

As it often happens when confirmation, rather than advice, is sought.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Well, I really dont see what all the fuss is about and I see no problem at all in starting out a full grown man that his balls have dropped and everything with a .300 Win if that is what he wants...... As for recoil the .300 Win is mild compared to the kick of an H&R single shot 12 ga shooting a 2 1/8 oz 3.5" shell, or even the recoil of a Mossberg 835 3.5" 12ga which i have shot many times in one session patterning different loads, I dont feel its any big deal, Let the man decide for himself....Good hunting...Hb

You are so eloquent in your replies. LMAO grin

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I appreciate the many good pieces of advice & constructive suggestions. I may certainly be wrong & get surprised that the 30-06 he has managed successfully in a very small sample could be the top of his recoil tolerance. Rangefinders & optics technology has certainly made trajectories more predictable. But this isn’t a shoot all day at the bench gun we are talking about where every distance is known and time to fire at a target is unlimited. Hunters occasionally need to shoot quickly at unknown ranges & flatter trajectory provides greater room for error in those situations.

I realize that we have become a softer less hardy country with almost every generation and that a shot at an an awkward angle might actually leave a bruise for heavens sake.

But reading the caliber suggestions I couldn’t help but think a handful of years ago these are exactly what would have been suggested for a teenage girl.

In fact I trained a 120 lb woman archer for one of those TV hunting shows, Ultimate Huntress, a few years ago & the rifle they received for making the cut to be on TV was a 270. She managed my lightweight 375H&H practicing the charging Cape buffalo target easily. A natural marksman but novice with firearms & essentially no trigger time she killed an Oryx & Audad cleanly & competed well in the shooting competitions.

So my actual experience runs a little differently than the suggestions, but heck I’ve been wrong before & may be this time.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Probably should scratch budget out of the title, forget all the cheapskate wimpy cartridges and rifles, and get a 30-378 Mark V Ultra Lightweight. If you can get an elk into turkey shotgun range there should be no problem with missing whether you know how to shoot or not.

And who cares that it cost five bucks a pop to shoot! You only need one laugh

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by specneeds

I realize that we have become a softer less hardy country with almost every generation and that a shot at an an awkward angle might actually leave a bruise for heavens sake

What a dumb azz...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by specneeds

I realize that we have become a softer less hardy country with almost every generation and that a shot at an an awkward angle might actually leave a bruise for heavens sake

What a dumb azz...

Indeed.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jeez these things sure seem to go in ackward and weird directions. It's not about whether or not the guy is the size of Dick Butkus or whether or not anybody who is not ready, willing and able to shoot a 300WM, etc. is a girly-man. Every single one of us "tough guys" and macho men on this forum who have shot a lot of big bore rifles in our lives can practice a lot more with a 22 than we can with a 375. With very few exceptions, most of us are much better shots with low recoiling firearms than we are with large recoiling. I know we have exceptions of guys on this forum who are so much tougher than everybody else that they open a beer can, pour out the liquid and then eat the aluminum. You are not only cool and tough but you ARE THE EXCEPTION.

It's almost like our moronic caliber debates. If you can handle a 223, you can handle a 243. If you can handle a 243, you can handle a 30-06. If you can handle a 30-06, you can handle a 338. On and on and on. I know little bitty guys who shoot nothing but magnums. I know big guys who have moved away from magnums for no other reason than enjoyment of the lesser kickers. According to the OP we have a 24 year old, newer hunter who needs to buy his first hunting rifle. I know the OP said he's O.K. with a little recoil. I don't care if he's a heavyweight boxer. He'll be much more likely set up for success, with the plethora of non-magnums mentioned in this thread than he ever would with a 7mm Magnum or 300 Winchester magnum. And no, his starting with the 7MM or 300WM is no guarantee of failure either. In my opinion, and it's only opinion, new rifle shooters are better off being started with lower recoiling rifles. Let him know that starting in such a manner is not a reflection on his manhood.

The fact that some on this forum started hunting with a 338 when they were 8 and still use the same now that they are 58 does not mean that they have defied or changed physics. I have never thought, even in my younger and higher testosterone fueled days, that everybody else SHOULD have the same recoil tolerance I have. Here endeth the rant.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well said buddy!

Besides a great Bullet in the 7-08, 308, 6.5 Anything, 30-06, 270 is going to kill elk just fine. I love the bigger cartridges and believe i shoot them well but I shoot a whole gang load of smaller cartridges all the time just to practice. The rifle set up correctly means more than the danged cartridge really.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm not small, 6' 2" and about 220, and I have moved to smaller cartridges for the enjoyment of shooting a bunch. I can do quite well with my 338 mag flinging 250's, but it's work. OTOH, 100 rounds is a relaxing fun afternoon with my 243, 6.5 Creedmoor or even a 308 shooting loads that dupe old LC match ammo.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Tikka T3 or Ruger American in either .270 or 30-06 decent 3x9 scope

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have friends who use one rifle for everything too, some buy one box of ammo every few years and kill elk almost every year too. ( I'm thinking of 2 right now, one uses a 308, one uses a 270) I know "more guys/friends) who use milder rounds for coyotes/deer and a "bigger" round for the "Out West rifle or for elk",etc. As far as "budget goes", nothing like the learning curve of a POC to fail you at the critical time. Hopefully this young man will be happy with his choice and it serves him well the rest of his life. Hopefully.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
When I started the thread looking for one all around bargain rifle & optics suggestions I did ask “am I missing something?”

So I guess what I was missing is “6.5 or 270 is all a hunter ever needs”. “Cost of factory ammo & recoil from the bench is the proper focus here” I suppose I could have put on my red& black flannel hat & said “son all a man needs is a 30-06 Remington 700” and I could have been done.

It just seems there are so many new rifles out there that I’ve never even handled (Winchester XPR, Mauser 18) that the guys on this forum have tried & tested know all about & can share their expertise. Optics from Athlon, Tract, Hawke I have never looked through and don’t have any stores nearby to look at.

It would have saved the ridicule from rifle loonies who firmly believe that hunters should shoot hundreds if not thousands of rounds of centerfire rifle ammo to adequately prepare to shoot an animal once or twice a year.

I’m not sure this young man will actually only buy one rifle. He is a serious off road enthusiast & that is an expensive hobby so my goal was to give him an answer to his question. Silly of me to think that would be the goal here.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
We'll, from what I've observed folks tend to be over gunned, over scoped and under practiced.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
No argument there. I might say rimfire practice is the best way to go for cost & development of good fundamentals.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Quality, adult sized air rifles too.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Seems an ethical response to think that some guy who never shot a rifle would practice a little before taking a 400 yard poke at an elk.

With "budget" so proudly stated at the top of the page, and a only a couple of boxes of 300 win mag costing a hunerd bucks, not to mention whatever shirt might need to be worn while shooting one, it might be somewhat logical to think that an aught-six(or heaven forbid the flatter shooting but girly 270), red flanel, and a half dozen boxes of ammo might be more comfortable for the unfortunate but burly soul.

Last edited by DollarShort; 04/02/20.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Maybe grab one of the Mauser M18 deals in 30-06, stick a 3-9x40 on top and get to shooting.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
634 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.