Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by TWR
MM, if I remember right, I thought the low shots were from sitting position. I actually didn't go check em till all shots were fired but I told my buddy I was pretty sure I kept dropping off the target from sitting position. Something about getting as comfortable as you can and knowing you're not on target but shooting anyway cause you know it's not gonna get any better...

Prone however was pretty solid when I switched to a 40 round mag for the extra height. Standing was just pressing the trigger as the dot started across the target. I have lot's of work to do.

I hear ya. Offhand at 200 yards was always where I dropped most points on the USMC rifle requal range, where distances were 200, 300, and 500 yards.

Just like you, I would try to let the round fly as the front sight was crossing the black of the target.

Actually a multi time national champion in high-power that I've only managed to beat once in my life, shoots offhand just like that. On the move. A controlled move, and you just learn the timing, pull here so by the time brain, finger, and bullet hits target its in the middle. Only thing you have to know there is only pull going in, NEVER pull once in or going out... lol.

There are so many variations to sitting and kneeling, folks get tied up trying to do it "right". Learn to make the position work for YOU... however you hold and work it out, as long as it works, throw the learning books out the window on that one.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Formudulous, What is the current level of deployment of the EOTech line of weapon sights in your realm and your opinion and experience using them? Thanks.

They’re an issued red dot. They are better than they were before the recall but they still have issues. People like them for a variety of beliefs, but very few for the niche benefits they bring.

Red dots on non play toys should be Aimpoints. Though except for specific uses, nearly every place that can is using 1-6x or 1-8x LPV’s.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Formudulous, What is the current level of deployment of the EOTech line of weapon sights in your realm and your opinion and experience using them? Thanks.

They’re an issued red dot. They are better than they were before the recall but they still have issues. People like them for a variety of beliefs, but very few for the niche benefits they bring.

Red dots on non play toys should be Aimpoints. Though except for specific uses, nearly every place that can is using 1-6x or 1-8x LPV’s.

In that 1-6x/1-8x space is Nightforce still your preference?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And the SWFA 1-6?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The NF 1-8’s are without equal, with the 1-6x SWFA a very solid choice.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What is the right aimpoint for someone who is just getting into this platform?

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
PRO is a good place to start and not break the bank.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
This thread demonstrates everything I hate about shotguns.

First, we hear that a shotgun will "clear a hall". Well, at my house the hall is about 36" wide. Then we hear the shotgun pattern is actually 12" wide. That doesn't clear a hall. That doesn't even clear half a hall. That clears 2/3 of 1/2 of a hall.

So, you've gotta aim. And "not aiming" is the big benefit that everyone raves about with shotguns. Because they don't know what they're talking about.

If I'm gonna aim, I'm gonna aim the gun that's lighter, that's faster to shoot for follow up shots, that holds more ammunition, and that does all of that with nearly no recoil.

grinThe Fudd force is strong in the pump shotgun group, ingrained in their membrane the deadly racking sound of the pump shotgun making the bad guy piss himself on your carpet right before a "swarm" of room clearing buckshot fills the air. The fly in the ointment is that probably half of them are so content in their knowledge that they don't ever have to ever practice with the gun that it would take 10 seconds just to remember how to get the safety off. grin

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The 11 shot pump 870 here is on the way back to the five shot A5, and then to the four speedloaders and 6 in a 357 Mag Trooper, that's "after" all the AR's, REPR's and handguns have been exhausted, the dogs are all dead, at that point not a GD thing is going to matter, the fu-king house will be on fire and falling down around me all the while the fancy indoor/outdoor security cameras are firing off video to Buds emails and cellphones.

Should make a hell of a movie for someone, not a damn thing wrong with using shotguns as part of ones brace of wares.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am damn safe in saying that you are not the average pump shotgun owner. grin

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, I remember where the safety is! laugh

Trump Won!
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jimmyp

First, we hear that a shotgun will "clear a hall". Well, at my house the hall is about 36" wide. Then we hear the shotgun pattern is actually 12" wide. That doesn't clear a hall. That doesn't even clear half a hall. That clears 2/3 of 1/2 of a hall.

So, you've gotta aim. And "not aiming" is the big benefit that everyone raves about with shotguns. Because they don't know what they're talking about.

If I'm gonna aim, I'm gonna aim the gun that's lighter, that's faster to shoot for follow up shots, that holds more ammunition, and that does all of that with nearly no recoil.

grinThe Fudd force is strong in the pump shotgun group, ingrained in their membrane the deadly racking sound of the pump shotgun making the bad guy piss himself on your carpet right before a "swarm" of room clearing buckshot fills the air. The fly in the ointment is that probably half of them are so content in their knowledge that they don't ever have to ever practice with the gun that it would take 10 seconds just to remember how to get the safety off. grin

That reminds me of a story of one of my "Fudd" uncles.

He would laugh at me for "wasting ammo" when i practiced, and jabbered about how guns needed to be locked in a safe.

One day a skunk wanders onto his property, so he headed out to his shop and open his safe, screws up the combination the first couple of times, so he can get out his unloaded shot gun. Grabs some shells to go looking for the skunk.

He goes to load the shot gun, but the sell keep falling out because he's trying to stick 20ga shells in a 12 gauge tube. Back to a different box of shells, finally gets it loaded, find the skunk and.........click.

Gun wouldn't not go off, and the skunk got away.

So much for the always ready Fudd Brigade.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 04/04/20.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Slo Joe is a shotgun guy. grin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Totally agree. Running a shotgun isn’t this fool-proof, guaranteed thing people make it out to be. Especially pumps. I can’t remember where I saw the statistics, but one-shot stops were basically equal between shotguns and rifles.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
As far as irons vs red dots, I’ll say this: I will always support learning basic marksmanship with irons. But, when it comes to being able to quickly and accurately utilize a rifle (or even a pistol for that matter), its hard to beat a good RDS. I make hits with a pistol with an RDS that I would have never made before.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
The 11 shot pump 870 here is on the way back to the five shot A5, and then to the four speedloaders and 6 in a 357 Mag Trooper, that's "after" all the AR's, REPR's and handguns have been exhausted, the dogs are all dead, at that point not a GD thing is going to matter, the fu-king house will be on fire and falling down around me all the while the fancy indoor/outdoor security cameras are firing off video to Buds emails and cellphones.

Should make a hell of a movie for someone, not a damn thing wrong with using shotguns as part of ones brace of wares.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
cool

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’ll take a RDS these days on anything they can be attached to. I know I make better and faster hits with them than with irons. Low powered scopes with good illum are pretty quick as well.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Semi auto Shotgun with a light, red dot sight, would be cool.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The last thing I want on a shotgun is sights, including a red dot. A light is useful though.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,088 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,073
Posts18,463,784
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.