Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tracking us like a collared elk. Well not me, no iphone. Welcome to the brave new world.

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Interesting that it’s people in the west; where necessary travel is highest on average in miles, were those who slowed fastest.

It’d be interesting to see this data overlaid on a map showing the party with whom the Governor is affiliated.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Seems travel was less affected in areas that were also less affected.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I know some of those counties in the west people have to go 2 miles to get to pavement, much less a store.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by rickt300
Seems travel was less affected in areas that were also less affected.

Shhhhh you’re not supposed to say that!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like a lot of the darker areas in the west are energy/mining areas that are essential, so work is still happening.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Kyhilljack
Tracking us like a collared elk. Well not me, no iphone. Welcome to the brave new world.

You couldn't give me an iphone.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Noticed that the NYT big city reporters don't know the geography of SC (flyover country). They keep citing Spartanburg County sources - presumably because Greenville County ranked #1 in travel distances - about lack of stay-at-home orders.

I suspect they did their usual thorough research and once they found GSP (in trusted source Wikipedia or Google?) assumed that must mean that Spartanburg is in Greenville County.

There’s some value in the data - despite the massive violation of 4th Amendment rights this tracking reflects - though the conclusions are open to question and subject to the NTY ‘s and its minions’ biased political proclivities.

How much can we trust them and their conclusions after that?

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the late start in the south is understandable. so few large cities I doubt most of those counties have triple digit documented cases, or even > 30

Last edited by KFWA; 04/02/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264

There’s some value in the data - despite the massive violation of 4th Amendment rights this tracking reflects

There are no rights being violated.

In telecom, there is a concept of PII (Personally Identifiable Information). There are SIGNIFICANT fines and penalties for tying any specific customer data to their location, unless they have specifically opted in (family trackers, "find my iPhone", and other location-tracking applications like that). One example is 911. When you dial 911, you immediately waive your PII protections, which makes sense because your PII data is being delivered to the Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP).

The threat of violating PII regulations is so real, that telecoms spend significant effort to train employees on how NOT to violate that privacy.

So, location data is generally decoupled from the individual user, and aggregated. Depending on the company and use, that is usually in the fine print (that none of us read, but we all sign off on), or, is simply just legal. That aggregated data is then sold for use in retail... Traffic engineering.... City planning.... and a whole host of other useful services.

There are ways to reduce your visibility on the network. Turn all location services off. Turn off Wi-Fi. Remove various cookies and other tracking apps.

Last edited by duck911; 04/02/20.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Just overlay that map, with the actual infected, of the virus.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It looks like the proper take-away is "travel more, get sick less". smile

Politics is War by Other Means
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Meaningless without population densities. Walking 100 ft in some places will generate more social contact than going 100 miles in others.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
We did good till the college kids came home from school.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Meh, I leave the cell on the counter when I go out the door. Screw with the man every chance you get.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
We have a “wandering” Tom cat....now he’s being tracked at night! Not really, but I’m certain would raise eyebrows at the NSA! grin memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by duck911

There’s some value in the data - despite the massive violation of 4th Amendment rights this tracking reflects

In telecom, there is a concept of PII (Personally Identifiable Information). There are SIGNIFICANT fines and penalties for tying any specific customer data to their location, unless they have specifically opted in (family trackers, "find my iPhone", and other location-tracking applications like that). One example is 911. When you dial 911, you immediately waive your PII protections, which makes sense because your PII data is being delivered to the Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP).

The threat of violating PII regulations is so real, that telecoms spend significant effort to train employees on how NOT to violate that privacy.

So, location data is generally decoupled from the individual user, and aggregated. Depending on the company and use, that is usually in the fine print (that none of us read, but we all sign off on), or, is simply just legal. That aggregated data is then sold for use in retail... Traffic engineering.... City planning.... and a whole host of other useful services.

There are ways to reduce your visibility on the network. Turn all location services off. Turn off Wi-Fi. Remove various cookies and other tracking apps.

Excellent post.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Thank you for being here.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

There are no rights being violated

You’re missing the point. It is irrelevant that the data is being aggregated and depersonalized, when reported. The problem is that the individual data is being gathered at all. The individual whose data is being collected is totally dependent on the telecom companies’ decisions on how they might us it and share with government agencies for purposes other than intended.

Despite the legal restrictions you cite we know that has already occurred. BTW, the validity of agreeing to sign away your individual constitutional rights as a condition of service is debatable

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” I agree with Ben Franklin. You may not, at the peril of losing our rights as citizens.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,121
Posts18,464,592
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.