Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mikieb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Dogs in the upper midwest are tough to find, Some breeders have a waiting list.... Litters are sold before they even get welped. What websites do you look over when shopping for a new pup ??? Litter anouncements and the like ?

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Lots of pups out there that need rescuing. Otherwise, if you want a specific breed, well bred pups are worth the wait.

M
mikieb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ryoushi
Lots of pups out there that need rescuing. Otherwise, if you want a specific breed, well bred pups are worth the wait.

Funny story… I tried to adopt a dog once from a "rescues group"... no wait... I don't need to protect them.... I tried to adopt a Springer from English Springer Rescue America... They had an 8 y/o dog near me... I put in the application... followed the questionnaire... Then, I did the live phone interview... no kidding... I answered all the questions truthfully..

After the phone interview I was black listed... They told me in person on the phone.

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by mikieb

Funny story… I tried to adopt a dog once from a "rescues group"... no wait... I don't need to protect them.... I tried to adopt a Springer from English Springer Rescue America... They had an 8 y/o dog near me... I put in the application... followed the questionnaire... Then, I did the live phone interview... no kidding... I answered all the questions truthfully..

After the phone interview I was black listed... They told me in person on the phone.

Well that sucks. Then I would look up some breeders and start talking to them. One will stand out and before you know it, you’ll have a pup.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

same thing with the Shiba Inu group here. said because I hunted. I told them our Shiba never held that against me! great little grouser! click!

Last edited by deerstalker; 04/04/20.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
mikieb,
What kind of dog are you looking for?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Went through this a couple months ago.

when you do a search write it like this:

German Blue Tic Breeder Ohio

Had a coupe dogs sold out from underneath me, so be ready to go.

I needed a dog whelped in Nov-Dec with a certain bloodline.

I drove 625 on a Sunday and picked up my pup Monday morning, $200 credit card to hold plus $1800 cash.

BUT I have a real cracker jack of a pup.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
M
mikieb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by longarm
mikieb,

Wirehaired pudelpointer, Bracco Italiano, Welsh or English Springer or any medium sized bird dog that can control it's prey drive, because, I hunt some spots in northern Wisconsin for grouse, with high porcupine populations... so I need a dog that is birdy, but yet reserved.

Also, he has to be a good house dog 9 months of the year, and be able to ride shotgun in a pick up truck. Needs to like hiking and going to the lake every day.... digging in the flower garden to lay in cool dirt on a hot day is allowed... sleeping on the couch, bed or in the designated dog bed are all allowed. Being there to clean up the plates, after dinner but before dishes is a must. Must be able to behave when tenting it in North Dakota and Kansa bird hunting trips. I need a dog that when out for a walk, I step off the trail and hide... it comes looking for me.

I need a dog so smart, that it can read my mind. you know the type....

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
i would get a setter, English or Llewellyn again, again, again and again, by the way i'm partial to setters.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
mikieb,

Also, he has to be a good house dog 9 months of the year, and be able to ride shotgun in a pick up truck. Needs to like hiking and going to the lake every day.... digging in the flower garden to lay in cool dirt on a hot day is allowed... sleeping on the couch, bed or in the designated dog bed are all allowed. Being there to clean up the plates, after dinner but before dishes is a must. Must be able to behave when tenting it in North Dakota and Kansa bird hunting trips. I need a dog that when out for a walk, I step off the trail and hide... it comes looking for me.

Describes my Lab perfectly.

Good luck with your quest.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Get involved with a training group of the breed/style of dog you want. Helping hands are always appreciated and you will have an inside track on litters that are not advertised I mass media. I started that with a new organization called NAVHDA back in the early 1980s and I never lacked for opportunities since.

You could do the same by helping out a trainer, they also have contacts that are outside of the channels everyone else uses. I have two that I am friends with and have gotten dogs from them when I wanted one.

The above are also sources one can use to find older pups and dogs as some owners cannot keep them for various reasons. With the current craziness and loss of jobs going on a pup or new dog could become a serious liability for them. A "rescue" in this manner would be advantageous to all involved.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found the breeder my pudelpointer came from through this website:

https://www.pudelpointer-alliance.com/copy-of-breeders-1

Be prepared that it may take a bit of a wait. Also be prepared for their selection process and restrictions on breeding the dog. I was on 3 lists for nearly a year before I landed a pup. Hank fits your description of what you are looking for to a T.

I second the recommendation to get in touch with the local NAVHDA club/group. They were an immense help to me in getting Hank going down the correct path.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Great litter of English Springers on the ground in Iowa. I know the sire. Great dog! Prairie Pursuit Gundogs.

Dean

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Mikie
So many great breeds to choose from. Sounds like your upcoming pup will have a fine life.
I think it's best to spend some time around the sire and dam of a prospective breeding when possible to get a hint at what personality traits the pups may have. It's no guarantee, but it helps.
Like Brazos, you're ideal pup sounds just like my well bred, medium sized female Lab. This is her waiting in a marsh for Wood Ducks to fly back in
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]life is a precious gift poem

Last edited by longarm; 04/06/20.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
mikieb,

Wirehaired pudelpointer, Bracco Italiano, Welsh or English Springer or any medium sized bird dog that can control it's prey drive, because, I hunt some spots in northern Wisconsin for grouse, with high porcupine populations... so I need a dog that is birdy, but yet reserved.

I was going to suggest getting involved with NAVHDA if you have a chapter nearby, but someone beat me too it. I have a pudelpointer and she ticks all the boxes you listed. The only issue is the porcupines, my girl is pretty soft and still tangled with one, hopefully for the first and last time. That said, I don't know of any dog breed that is naturally wary of those critters. You might also include the munsterlander in your list of possible dogs.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Mikie
So many great breeds to choose from. Sounds like your upcoming pup will have a fine life.
I think it's best to spend some time around the sire and dam of a prospective breeding when possible to get a hint at what personality traits the pups may have. It's no guarantee, but it helps.
Like Brazos, you're ideal pup sounds just like my well bred, medium sized female Lab. This is her waiting in a marsh for Wood Ducks to fly back in
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]life is a precious gift poem

Great looking pup longarm! Love the intensity in her eyes.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Than you, ryoushi. I'm crazy about her.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Have you tried 2nd wind pudelpointers out of Custer, WI? I have no personal experience, just heard good things.

M
mikieb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Have you tried 2nd wind pudelpointers out of Custer, WI? I have no personal experience, just heard good things.

Yes, I did contact him, He is planning a litter for this fall.. I got on the list and I will check back in with him in August and October again to make sure I stay on the list.... it seems these freaking Pudelpointers are a scarce commodity... a lot of litters have buyers booked 12 months out.

Goodness Longarm... that is one good looking brown Labrador.... I currently have a black one at 14 y/o sleeping on the floor under the kitchen table... waiting for bacon fat to be poured over his morning cereal...

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The only issue is the porcupines, my girl is pretty soft and still tangled with one, hopefully for the first and last time. That said, I don't know of any dog breed that is naturally wary of those critters. You might also include the munsterlander in your list of possible dogs.

Porcupines and skunks are going to be a problem with most breeds and especially the Continental ones. One of my trainer buddies is having limited success on "skunk breaking" but porcupines are much harder to acquire. I've caught two for him but his German dogs have ignored the collar and killed the quill pigs.

My worst offenders for getting stuck/sprayed have been my setters. They hold the individual and group records for both issues. The one never attacked a skunk but he was sprayed 4 times in one fall as he could not stay away from them. My current oldest setter has been stuck 4 times by porkies, and I doubt he is done even though he is 15 years old.

Last edited by woodmaster81; 04/07/20.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

271 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,733
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.