Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't like chemical pesticides. I have been using diatomacous earth for years on my dogs. This stuff is not a chemical, it is a kind of dirt that is ten million years old, made of tiny sea shells called diatoms. It looks like flour.

When a bug walks across diatomaceous earth, it is like a human is crawling across a floor covered with broken glass. It cuts the bugs left and right and they will bleed to death. If my dog comes back from the woods with some ticks on her, I powder her up with this stuff and the fleas are soon dead. It will kill any bugs.

So after you get rid of the mattresses etc, now that you have a vacancy, powder the place up with the diatomaceous earth and close it up for a few weeks and the bugs will all die.

https://www.amazon.com/Diatomaceous-Earth-Food-Grade-10/dp/B00025H2PY

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by duck911
Hire the experts.

+1

Be thankful if the tenant (and their stuff) is all out. You're looking at a very thorough fumigation - electrical outlet/switch covers, duct work in/out covers, etc. all will have to be removed.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Is the house isolated enough that you could burn it without causing any other problems? if so that is the way to go. then claim it on your insurance..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do an internet search Killing Bed Bugs with Heat.
Seems the little buggers can't take a lot.

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by poboy
Heed slumlord, king of the mud people.

Honest-to-goodness LOL!!

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
OP is a really good person. I would get a pest control guy and get it done once. Put all bedding in a bag to the dump or burn if if that is available.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take Slumlords advice.

He’s had that problem a time or two at the “Freebird Mobile Estate and Put Put Golf Course”

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wife is still licensed GRC, Tn dept of Ag, runs her own exterminating business on the side.
I let mine lapse. Did it off/on for 20 years.

So blah blah blah wah wah I go with whatever rick bin says

That said, ain’t no fuggin way I’d sprinkle diatomaceous earth, fuggin pool filter Paul Harvey roach Prufe boric acid chit all over the house.

Make it look like Tony Montana detonated a suicide vest in there.

Simonkenton, brother, I luv ya man any other time, im even ok with the binocular deal. But no, no no no DE 😐

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Over the years we have let her skip December rent to buy coats and christmas presents. We took them food and let them get way behind and catch up at tax return time each year.

Figured she and I were both better off with the house not being empty. Plus I could never boot out a mom and little ones as long as she was trying.

Seems like some stability couldn't hurt as well when it came to the kids.

I hope God blesses you 10 fold for your kindnesses to others .

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yes....diatomaceous earth is a bit of a scam.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Yes....diatomaceous earth is a bit of a scam.

I am in this camp. I have seen it used a lot and always questioned its efficacy. Doesn't seem to hurt anything, just not real effective.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sent you a PM.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Threads like this makes my decision to sell my rentals all the better. Those CD's at the bank don't have bed bugs, broken water heaters etc. Glad I'm out. But it's the only way I made enough money for retirement. Good Luck.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Hubert
Is the house isolated enough that you could burn it without causing any other problems? if so that is the way to go. then claim it on your insurance..

I know a guy that did that here in PA, he had problems with termites and bees, burn it to the ground, he done 8 years in the state prison for arson and insurance fraud.

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Lol besides the fact that I have been licensed as an insurance agent for 12 years and they would immediately turn the magnifying glass on me.

Not that I would do it anyway, but I would be even less likely to get away with it than the next guy

I would much rather keep it and make it nice again and find a new person who needs a place.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Call the professional on this one. You will have a hard time getting it hot enough to kill the ones hiding in cracks and crevices. If your going to vacuum in there at all buy a cheap one at thrift store, new bag, and throw the thing away when done.

They are very hard to get rid of. Most good reputable companies will guarantee their work. Plus it’s a tax right off.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Lol besides the fact that I have been licensed as an insurance agent for 12 years and they would immediately turn the magnifying glass on me.

Not that I would do it anyway, but I would be even less likely to get away with it than the next guy

I would much rather keep it and make it nice again and find a new person who needs a place.

If you haven't figured out how to get away with stuff in 12 years, you aren't paying attention close enough.

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Hah!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have used diatomaceous earth for years on ticks on the dog, and on carpenter bees. Squirt it in a carpenter bee hole with a syringe, in about 20 seconds 3 dying carpenter bees come tumbling out. I like to watch 'em writhe around while they die. Takes about 3 minutes.

What is wrong with sprinkling it around a vacant house? Let it set for 2 weeks and then vacuum it up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I remember you saying that about the carpenter bees. I might try that.

My bee traps are already luring victims in. And it’s still cool here.

Nothing against it except the cleanup. And I’m on the lazy side.

Being in the business for years, I used to see boric acid and DE in people’s cabinets. It always looked like a mess. Caked up, crusty, turning brown after a while.
Just that was something that stuck in my mind. Personal preference.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
211 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 1,881 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,793
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.