Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Class of 2020 just failed their solitary confinement final. So much for their security clearance, they will have to work transport duty.

Could you imagine they going through survival training...

Even cargo haulers have a SECRET clearance at minimum.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
As a society we are not developing young people who are tough and resilient.

They are out there. When you meet one you can see they have the upbringing and training and desire to excel. There are just not as many as there used to be.

The service academies have largely become just another institute of higher learning. The set-asides for athletes, unqualified minorities and children/grandchildren/great-grandchildren of alums combined with the social engineering of the curriculum to now include all the same type of soft degrees of civilian universities have have conspired to make them useless for producing a higher standard of officer.

Our CIC did not do them any favors with the decision to allow their graduates to go right to professional sports instead of uniform for an obligation.

Of course there are still fine officers produced by them but in nor greater percentage than the other ROTC and OCS commissioning sources. I will say the Coast Guard Academy seems to be the exception to this slide.

Sad that so many years of tradition have been destroyed in such a short time. I think their time of usefulness is done.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does the Coast Guard Academy have a football team?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Who knows what demons they were fighting. You or I sure don't.

I’m wondering what the suicide rate is per average year.

The sorta kid who pushes themself hard enough to get into a Service Academy tends to set way high expectations for themself, gonna be a few extreme personalities in that group prone to fits of despair.

OTOH I wouldn’t guess your average Affirmative Action/Diversity Cadet would fit that description.

Being the Peace Corps is the closest I got so I ain’t gonna criticize except to observe that the famous East India Company Brit Robert Clive in a fit of despair tried to shoot himself shortly after arriving in India but the pistol misfired, twice.

Sir Robert Clive went on of course to establish the British Empire in India, becoming a multimillionaire in the process.

I’m guessing at least a few of these suicides are sad losses to the military.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Good grief. They had no business there.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Lots of young people, especially guys, are tough and resilient. We just have women running a lot more things now.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Pugs
Just wait until they find out how stressful combat is.

Suicide is rampant in the military and it happens more in garrison than combat.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Lots of young people, especially guys, are tough and resilient. We just have women running a lot more things now.

Agreed.

My son is a good kid. Mentally tough, hard charger and went from e1 to e4 in the Army in 18 months. Is EXACTLY the type of person you want serving and as an NCO. He's getting out ASAP because of how phoucked up senior leadership is, primarily female but across the board - it's not great.

My time in the military and corporate world - too often the very best get into a place, realize it's fubar beyond what they're willing to do or able to do and they cut tape and bail.

Not ALL obviously but way too many. It's how you end up with the mess to begin with. Peter principle drives out the good ones.

Me

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by szihn
Of all the Armed Services the Air Force has by far the largest number of liberal Democrats.

So this is not a big surprise to me.

And a Medal of Honor recipient for being needlessly stupid and because they didn't have one, and everyone else did. My opinion.

Last edited by las; 04/02/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by readonly
Originally Posted by Pugs
Just wait until they find out how stressful combat is.

Suicide is rampant in the military and it happens more in garrison than combat.

The post-deployment garrison environment, especially if it is a command that has a low amount of combat vets, is a very stressful situation for many combat vets. Combine it with coming home from overseas and reintegration with family and it's an environment that can isolate people and make them vulnerable to depression.

The Navy has dealt with it pretty well IMO simply because we always deployed for 6+ months and had the mechanisms to deal with it. The other services the last 15 years have been playing catch up to that deployed and returned environment and are getting better. Even worse for the Guard/Reserves.

During the cold war and post-cold war the USAF and USA really didn't do deployments. Garrison was their life for most except for short term dets/training. That's all changed now.

Last edited by Pugs; 04/02/20. Reason: typo

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by teal
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Agreed.

My son is a good kid. Mentally tough, hard charger and went from e1 to e4 in the Army in 18 months. Is EXACTLY the type of person you want serving and as an NCO. He's getting out ASAP because of how phoucked up senior leadership is, primarily female but across the board - it's not great.

My time in the military and corporate world - too often the very best get into a place, realize it's fubar beyond what they're willing to do or able to do and they cut tape and bail.

Not ALL obviously but way too many. It's how you end up with the mess to begin with. Peter principle drives out the good ones.

My recent college grad. nephew is a Junior Grade Officer in the Military, he is mentally tough and in much better shape physically than the Army requires him to be. He was just down here for a few weeks training. While we were riding in his car he took a call from one of his peers, a female who apparently has the hots for him. It sounded like he was talking to a sorority girl discussing their upcoming deployment

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Class of 2020 just failed their solitary confinement final. So much for their security clearance, they will have to work transport duty.

Could you imagine they going through survival training...

Even cargo haulers have a SECRET clearance at minimum.

Spot on.
You pick in up what I'm lain down ..

Guess they need to serve where they have no risk of capture...
Hmm

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I joined the Army in June, 1973. I had a lot of guys who were just back from Viet Nam absolutely hate Garrison duty. Too many rules and not enough common sense jobs and programs. Many bailed out at their first opportunity. Good men who had been tested by battle and the REMF poags drove them out.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Daughter has a good friend in that class.

And no he wasn't one that offed themselves.

Great youngman maybe gonna make a great pilot. Maybe even a SIL? 🤪😜😁

Just completed his jump certs yesterday for graduation.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I actually remember what You are talking about but most don't
Thanks for Your post.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Who knows what demons they were fighting. You or I sure don't.
Correct - we do not know which, if any, demons were being experienced by those who committed suicide there. Given info from the article above (as shown below), it certainly looks as though their living conditions and that "environment" are not demonic - particularly as compared with what many, many people are experiencing these days. So - if they were inhabited by demons that caused their suicidal actions, those same self-destructive demons would seem to have predicted failure in important military service.

Cadets will be allowed to leave the campus for drive-thru food, get a casual Friday during which they can wear civilian clothing and may congregate in small groups while following with state guidelines.
Also rescinded are long “tours” of marching practice for cadets who don’t stay six feet away from their classmates.
“No one is being punished for social distancing violations. Be smart!” Silveria said in an email.
Alcohol, while still forbidden in dorms and vehicles, will be allowed elsewhere on the 18,500-acre campus – and the academy staff was encouraged to bring their dogs to work.
“Dogs are mission-essential and allowed any time,” the general said.
The policy changes came after the senior class remained on campus, spread out across emptied dorms, and ordered to stay separated from one another while taking online classes and eating take-out meals.
The cadets who committed suicide on March 26 and 27 were set to graduate this spring.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What else can we expect of twenty plus years of pussification? i have zero sympathry..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dassa
Will these be counted as covid deaths?

Only by democraps.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
This is shocking even though this is the path we've been on for decades. The suicides must have been gay. When we gut the military we open up the entire country to be gutted. I'm sad I brought three great kids into the world to this! All of it!!!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
The US Air Force Academy has eased coronavirus social-distancing restrictions after it reported back-to-back suicide deaths of two cadets, according to a report.

Originally Posted by RockyRaab
When you set about to wussify a military academy, you get wusses.

Couldn't agree more.................

Too much gun-ho sports not enough emphasis on the "right stuff"

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

71 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 264mag, 14 invisible), 1,061 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,487
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.