Campfire Ranger
A

BP-B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Curious to see how this one sells. IIRC, there was a LH 280 KS on GI a few weeks ago that sold same day / next day as posted...

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
My LH KS 24" 280 had matte Blue, matte blue bolt and C prefix serial number?

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
It’s an early one. BP stock.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If it was a right hand I would have already bid on it.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
It’s an early one. BP stock.

Jeweled bolt and gloss finish metal............damn sweet gun.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by woods_walker
If it was a right hand I would have already bid on it.

One was listed on Gunsinternational last week. Early BP stocked and minty, It was listed at $1200.

I choked and it was gone the next day.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
E
ejo Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Are these rifles really that nice? What do you like about them?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ejo

Custom shop rifle when Rem was putting out good products, barrel profile, the stock fit is great and LH in 280! New close to a grand or over in early 80,s. I sold my LH KS 280 Matte finish better shape for $1150 shipped Dec 2019.

Last edited by kk alaska; 04/03/20.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Unless the pictures make it look worse than it really is, I'm put off by the "excellent condition" description. I would say "very good condition for it's age" with some honest use, etc. None the less, I can remember looking at one of these new in the rack back in the late '80s and realize that rifle would have taken care of all my big game hunting and saved me a lot of money. Kind of a "Holy Grail" rifle for me but wouldn't bite at that price.
Steve

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by ejo
Are these rifles really that nice? What do you like about them?

Good overall balance, weight, ergos, accuracy. I have a matte blue version in .270 Win. It will become my only CF rifle in the near future...

E
ejo Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for the info guys. I will have to try one after I get done reducing my rifle collection smile. So far it's been, sell two, buy one so taking a little longer than it should.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What do you gents think the VariX-III is worth?

All these talks of thinning the rifle herds bum me a little, as I get closer to ancient.

I have 5 sons....2 are full lefties. I only shoot left side.

Like picking teams at the playground, they can pick from the herd, one pick each round, til all gone (after I am).

They already have many of them.

They can thin if they’d like....as most wouldn’t be considered heirloom anyway.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Since nobody else answered, I'll say $250-$300 for the glass.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
That's pretty generous. A comparable VX-3i can be had for around $375 new with the various sales and discounts floating around, a good used VX-3 will go for roughly $325, and a VX-III will fetch just under $300. A specialty reticle (target dot, CPC, B&C, mildot, etc.) will push the price up a little. This scope with its obvious wear and Leupold's attitude towards obsolescence and refusal to upgrade them I would only value at $200. Even then I wouldn't be particularly interested in that as part of the package.

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Montana uses Ruger actions.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Jackie_Treehorn
That's pretty generous. A comparable VX-3i can be had for around $375 new with the various sales and discounts floating around, a good used VX-3 will go for roughly $325, and a VX-III will fetch just under $300. A specialty reticle (target dot, CPC, B&C, mildot, etc.) will push the price up a little. This scope with its obvious wear and Leupold's attitude towards obsolescence and refusal to upgrade them I would only value at $200. Even then I wouldn't be particularly interested in that as part of the package.

I guess you should have answered prior to me? smile

Show me some $200 2.5x8 Leupold glass..........

Last edited by Lawdwaz; 04/05/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

In a Vari-XIII? Look around. Auction site jackasses don't count. If you think a 17+ year-old-obviously-worn-scope-that-is-easily-OUTCLASSED-and-Leupold-says-they-won't-upgrade is "worth" $300, then get off your ass any pony up some cash, because talk is cheap. I just recently -- as in LESS THAN A MONTH AGO -- bought a new VX-3i 2.5x8 from Cameraland for the princely sum of $369.99 on sale and I've also bought a few VX-3 and VX-III 2.5x8s over the past 18 months for $250 to $300 that didn't look as tired as that dog, so why in the hell would I assign a value of $300 on that heap? The whole damned package is overdescribed and overpriced. As Big Stick would say, "congratulations?"

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

In a Vari-XIII? Look around. Auction site jackasses don't count. If you think a 17+ year-old-obviously-worn-scope-that-is-easily-OUTCLASSED-and-Leupold-says-they-won't-upgrade is "worth" $300, then get off your ass any pony up some cash, because talk is cheap. I just recently -- as in LESS THAN A MONTH AGO -- bought a new VX-3i 2.5x8 from Cameraland for the princely sum of $369.99 on sale and I've also bought a few VX-3 and VX-III 2.5x8s over the past 18 months for $250 to $300 that didn't look as tired as that dog, so why in the hell would I assign a value of $300 on that heap? The whole damned package is overdescribed and overpriced. As Big Stick would say, "congratulations?"

I must have missed the second coming of Bricktop.....I'll watch for your posts, they are quite entertaining.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I must have missed the second coming of Bricktop.....I'll watch for your posts, they are quite entertaining.
What makes you think a Vari-XIII is worth 80% of a new VX-3i or nearly the same as a VX-III or VX-3? The scope has obvious wear (just like the rifle), has lower quality glass and components compared to the scopes that superseded it, and Leupold now says they'll no longer upgrade them to accept Alumina accessories. Its real value is around $200 by itself.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

What makes you think a Vari-XIII is worth 80% of a new VX-3i or nearly the same as a VX-III or VX-3? The scope has obvious wear (just like the rifle), has lower quality glass and components compared to the scopes that superseded it, and Leupold now says they'll no longer upgrade them to accept Alumina accessories. Its real value is around $200 by itself.

You put a lot of effort into a $50 (low end of course) difference in opinions. LOL

It'll be interesting to see what the package sells for. A rifle and glass of that vintage should show some use, better to be used than a safe queen in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.