Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
joken2 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J

Self employed pay 100% of their F.I.C.A. withholdings.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
If you want to play with language...so be it.

I'm not playing with language, you idiots are. You are the ones claiming Social Security is not an entitlement program. You people lie that SSI is and SSA is not. You refuse to accept responsibility for your actions because you only voted for representatives who voted you bread and circuses and stuck us with the bill.

But both I and the SSA see you for what you are no matter how much you lie.

I'm quite happy to support you. I'd rather that than have to step over you on a sidewalk on my way to work.But I'm not going to pretend along with you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Social Security is NOT an Entitlement------------I've paid into it over 50 years.

Yes it is. The Social Security Administration themselves describe it that way.

One more example of .gov disconnect ...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Otter
ISSI is an entitlement (welfare), SSA is not. Many folks have a confusion about that and need to be educated.

You should call the Social Security Administration and demand they change all of their literature.

How about this: are the actual dollars you paid in the same dollars being sent back to you?

It seems to me you sound angry...or maybe just frustrated? Who isn't?

First, calling the SSA will get you no where. You know that. It will take forever to get through the automated system. If you endure the wait and run-around, you might get a representative at the National Call Center. They can do nothing but read "talking points."

Second, DEMAND something from SSA over the phone??? All I can say is "don't be stupid."

Third, you ask a rhetorical question. Here is your answer. No, the money I paid into SS is not the money I am drawing. The money I paid into the Social Security Trust Fund went to pay SS benefits for those who were currently receiving SS payments.

The system was structured with the illusion of fairness.

During my working career, I paid the benefit for those already retired.

I then entrusted reciprocity to the system; in that, when I reached retirement, those currently working would pay for my benefit.

SSA is big and all encompassing. It now lives and breaths on its own. It may collapse under its own weight---but it is beyond repair in my estimation. There is not the political or social will to do much about it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We are being told by our accountant that the way they interpret it as written, neither of my boys 22 yrs old (in college and working 30-35 hrs a week) or 19 yrs old, currently working full time will get anything. Not even the $500, so we will see. Luckily both are still employed and working.

CK
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

I'm not playing with language, you idiots are. You are the ones claiming Social Security is not an entitlement program. You people lie that SSI is and SSA is not. You refuse to accept responsibility for your actions because you only voted for representatives who voted you bread and circuses and stuck us with the bill.

I'm quite happy to support you. I'd rather that than have to step over you on a sidewalk on my way to work.But I'm not going to pretend along with you.

You think too much of your own opinion. And, you seem to assign to yourself foreknowledge into the thoughts, intents, and actions of others. Then, based of that false assumption, you stereotype a large group of people. I ask you, who is pretending? Who is delusional? Who is lying - to themselves?

For the record, I never once voted for anyone - local or national - based on what they would or would not do with the SSA.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
you are shifting part of the burden on people by requiring them to do something to get their rebate.

Receipt of entitlements like Social Security typically make people lazier, so it is no surprise that there would be backlash over having to do even one minor thing that millions do every year, to receive said entitlement.

Social Security is NOT an Entitlement------------I've paid into it over 50 years.

Thank you sir. Been paying into it for 50 plus years also .

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been paying into it for 50 plus years. I would like to get my share. NOT an Entitlement.

J
joken2 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J

The problem is in the misinterpretation of the meaning of the word, "Entitlement"...

From your posted link:

One of the things that some of my readers get REALLY fired up about is when Social Security is referred to as an “entitlement”.

I can understand why. After all, the term “entitlement” has taken on a demeaning definition that insinuates getting something that you haven’t earned (or even deserve).

But is it possible we are all being jerked around a little bit here by those with something to gain from fanning the flames of division?

...What’s happened here is that they’ve effectively redefined the word entitlement into something that is divisive and dirty. How handy.

...What does Entitlement mean?

So why do they refer to it this way and does it have a negative connotation?

If you examine the definition of the word entitlement, you’ll see there is no mention of welfare, charity or handouts.

The Merriam Webster dictionary defines it as “a government program providing benefits to members of a specified group.”

The Cambridge dictionary defines it as “something, often a benefit from the government, that you have the right to have.”

Then, in the glossary of the United States Senate, the word entitlement is defined as “a federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit that meets the eligibility criteria.”
Is Social Security an entitlement? A hand out or a right? Or, does it mean something else entirely? This word fires up a lot of people, so let's explore what entitlement actually means.

The fact is, the phrase “entitlement program” is simply a term for any government program guaranteeing certain benefits to a segment of the population who qualify for them under specific terms and conditions.

That’s exactly what Social Security is. You have to work for at least 10 years with a certain amount of earnings to be ENTITLED to your own benefit.

There’s nothing dirty, shameful or beggarly about this word.

But in the highly politicized world that we live in, what words actually mean and the meaning given to words aren’t always the same.

entitlement noun

en·​ti·​tle·​ment | \ in-ˈtī-tᵊl-mənt , en- \
Definition of entitlement 1a : the state or condition of being entitled : right b : a right to benefits specified especially by law or contract
2 : belief that one is deserving of or entitled to certain privileges
3 : a government program providing benefits to members of a specified group also : funds supporting or distributed by such a program]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of course it is an entitlement you lying boomers.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joken2
The problem is in the misinterpretation of the meaning of the word, "Entitlement"..

Changing the definition of words to fit an argument is the oldest liberalist trick in the book you confused liberalist boomers. You have somehow come to believe it it doesn't mean what it means.

Don't worry, the productive among us will continue to work even as you delude yourselves, so the entitlement that lets you buy your McDonalds fried pies isn't going to dry up any time soon.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Stickfight ask "How about this: are the actual dollars you paid in the same dollars being sent back to you?"

I would hope the hell not, the same as buying a $10,000 CD & cashing it in 40 years later. crazy

Oh, & BTW, the word "boomer" seems to be a favorite of whining assed liberals that are continuously looking for someone to blame. Does the shoe fit? frown

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunzo
Oh, & BTW, the word "boomer" seems to be a favorite of whining assed liberals that are continuously looking for someone to blame. Does the shoe fit? frown

The entitlement shoe fits the boomer perfectly, even though he pretends he isn't wearing it.

same as buying a $10,000 CD

But you didn't buy a CD, did you? You could have, but you chose an entitlement program instead. Which was the whole point behind SS from the start.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Of course it is an entitlement you lying boomers.

Wow! You really can't help yourself. You are insulting, condescending, and disrespectful.

You made joken2's point. Don't you, in all of your wisdom, foresight, and foreknowledge...see and know that?

I choose to think better or you. I'll put it down as "misdirected frustration."

Honestly; I hope you and your's are not negatively impacted by current events.

GB

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Backing out Guys.

The thread has run its course. And, as typical with the Fire...ran right into the ground.

Life is to short for such nonsense.

Thank you joken2 for the original post. Good information. I had not been following the story.

I wish you all wellness, and that we all get through this with our liberties, and civilities in tact.

GB

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I know this for sure, every year I get a statement from my employer listing the cost of my benefits for the year.

The actual cost of having me as an employee added onto the cost of my wage package includes time lost to vacation, sick leave, funeral leave, jury leave, cost of medical insurance, 401 K matching funds, and yes my employer's portion of SS payments.

To believe that any less than 13% of your pay is being deducted for Social Security is pure foolishness. Were it not going into .gov coffers our paychecks could be increased by that 6.5% the employer pays.

But us "Boomers" had no choice. That 13% has been forcibly confiscated by the government for forty five years. Who here could not have invested it to pay far better than any returns we will ever see from SS?

They have been stealing it away from me and robbing me of investment opportunities since 1974. By God, yes I am ENTITLED to get at least the small amount back allowed by current SS rules.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Yeah, let's not do anything to try and reduce scamming.
As far as I'm concerned, if they receive Social Security payments and don't file tax returns, they can go through that small amount of hassle.

You obviously don't know any social security recipients living on < $1500/month.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Thank You G.B.!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yes it is. The Social Security Administration themselves describe it that way.

Yeah.

I AM entitled to some of the money I paid over 57 years, money that helped your parents and grandparents while I was young and working hard.

We didn't chose paying SS taxes, you ignorant puke.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

Call it what you want! But don't tell people how they voted! Doing so proves ignorance. I never voted for any give away program! And wasnt around when social security started! Quit being a dick, for the sake of being a dick! GFY

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

348 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 27 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,430
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.