Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Would a broken tie rod cause an SUV to violently rock side to side driving down the road? Last Sunday I saw something that I've never seen out on the highway before. We were on Hwy 24 through the Tennessee hills and up ahead there was a gray medium sized SUV with the flashers on going maybe 30-35 mph. Every second or so that car was consistently rocking side to side and not just a little, but probably bottoming out the shocks on both sides. The tires looked to be all the same size and inflated and the car was not weaving down the highway. I was even worried to pass it for fear that something was about to let go. Obviously there was a major problem and in that desolate area on a Sunday afternoon there was no help for miles. What would have caused a vehicle to do that?

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
BP-B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Definitely not a tie rod.

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A broken tie rod would let the car's tires go in different directions and they're be a lot of swerving.
Maybe two 300 pounders going at it in the back seat?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I could be mistaken,but usually when a tie rod breaks you are DOA,
almost sounds like a tire with broken belts inside or bulging,,,,IDK

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
More than likely a bad wheel bearing and hub assy. Definitely not a tie rod end.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Driver going into diabetic coma

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or hypoglycemic.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Was it a jeep?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I watched something very similar years ago while driving past Mall of America. I backed off and watched and then the rear wheel came off that car and bounced 30 feet into the air. Bearings or lug nuts I'd say.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Back in the late 80’s in the Black Hills, a buddy and I were heading home from some cliff jumping up by Mt Rushmore. We came up behind a 4-door sedan swerving back and forth violently. We slowed and followed as it looked like they may end up in the ditch any moment. The back window was kind of dirty so the view into the cab wasn’t the greatest. What we could see looked like a dog jumping on the driver.

We finally had room to get by, and the dog turned out to be a hottie teenage brunette riding the driver. He had slid so far down the seat he couldn’t see the road.

Never will forget the grin on that guy’s face.

Last edited by kroo88; 04/02/20.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Death wobble. Loose or damaged suspension/ steering components.

Had it happen on a Jeep ZJ w 135k on it. New steering stabilizer and it was gone. Would shake violently at 35 mph.

Came on all of a sudden.

Buddys kid lifted an XJ and had it. At about 50 mph. Told him they didn't tighten things up enough. Didnt believe me. finally they went through it and cranked em, and it went away.

Its also fun when a track bar comes loose/ off, eapecially on curves w traffic.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
A bad CV joint in a front drive axle can cause this too.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I can tell you with certainty that a 1967 International Scout will not make it off of Kennebec Pass with a broken tie rod.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lucas1
Was it a jeep?

Death wobble..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It may very well been a Jeep something, but not a CJ, more like a Cherokee size. I was spooked enough to just want to get by without it doing an unintended 90 degree turn into the left lane. My boss was telling me about one that he was following one time that did that right into the guard rail when something broke. This one obviously had something mechanical way wrong because no passenger movement could have rocked a car side to side as much as that one.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by kroo88
Back in the late 80’s in the Black Hills, a buddy and I were heading home from some cliff jumping up by Mt Rushmore. We came up behind a 4-door sedan swerving back and forth violently. We slowed and followed as it looked like they may end up in the ditch any moment. The back window was kind of dirty so the view into the cab wasn’t the greatest. What we could see looked like a dog jumping on the driver.

We finally had room to get by, and the dog turned out to be a hottie teenage brunette riding the driver. He had slid so far down the seat he couldn’t see the road.

Were you the guy that honked and waved?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If all the shocks were bad (or missing) it'd just bounce on the springs with 0 dampening. Maybe someone quit half-way through a DIY project?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by kroo88

Were you the guy that honked and waved?

Still the best scene in the Chevy Chase Movie "Parenthood" talking to the cop after he told the wife that he was a little tense. smile

My other auto is a .45

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd also agree with a suspension issue. People let there crap go to long. Wheel bearings, tie rods or other front ed and parts wont cause rocking and crazy chassis roll.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
More than likely a bad wheel bearing and hub assy. Definitely not a tie rod end.

This...have seen it a number of times. Next step...lost wheel

GOD Bless America
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
162 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 14 invisible), 1,470 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.