Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Poverty has killed infinitely more people than this virus ever will.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Originally Posted by antlers
If you were asked to define life, would you define it as life = work, or life = income, or life = ‘any’ material thing...?

For me personally? Quality. Sitting in a wet diaper with no visitors is not appealing to me in the least. That is why I choose not to smoke, drink excessively, participate in exceedingly dangerous activities - especially when I had kids at home who needed me. I try to stay fit (not as much as I would like), eat well, etc. Does that make me think that I am better than anyone else? No. I just tried (and often failed) to make decisions that made sense for me and my family. I see those decisions being duplicated by my kids, just as bad decisions seem to be passed down.
Those who have spent a lifetime doing the opposite have already made their choices many times over the years. Choices have consequences. If I chose to smoke for 40 years, I chose COPD and cancer and the fun that goes with it. Some people get hosed, no doubt about that. But overall, we choose our outcome, to a large degree. I guess that makes me pro-choice.

Does that mean that I don't have empathy for those who chose differently? Absolutely not. I have family members, whom I loved dearly, who are no longer with us because of the habits that I laid out above and more. I can't control that. And honestly? I wouldn't want to. Others either didn't engage in self destruction or stopped many years ago, They are still here, for the most part.

Implying (if you were) that being concerned about business and career is selfish or materialistic, I would argue that it isn't. It's how we feed our families. Choosing to build a business that will impact my family for years to come, or a career that can give them more options for how they live their lives, seems to be good thinking. Poverty offers much fewer options and forces many to make choices that are far from ideal. Had I chosen an easier path that gave me more time and less effort, my family would have fewer options. That would have been selfish and focused solely on my comfort. Choosing to use the power of government to dictate what others are forced to do with respect to the fruits of their labor is much more selfish, in my opinion. Using the power of government to confiscate the fruits of others in the hope that you will be thrown a scrap, is about as materialistic and selfish that one can be. Just my opinion. I would argue that some of the panic can be chalked up to schadenfreude and the excitement that it generates. Again, just my opinion.

It seems to me that a more sensible approach would have been for those who are at risk to shelter and protect themselves or be protected. If I were deathly allergic to shellfish, I wouldn't eat shellfish. That doesn't preclude you from chowing down on shrimp.

I sincerely hope that this runs its course with the fewest lives lost as possible and hope that we have fewer casualties, both lives and livelihoods, than have been guesstimated. - Be safe

Good post

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
The economy will come back fast as soon as we ditch the democrats. Maybe send them to china they like communism.

Let's revisit this in November.

How healthy will the economy be?

How many deaths and weakened people will there be?

At what levels will the financial markets be?

Where will real estate markets be?

Will there be a vaccine readily available?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If you/we don't live, it doesn't matter about the economy !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
^^This too.^^

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

So you survive the virus but have no money. Show here that is better.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RAS
All:

Last week, it was virus. Now, it’s our economy.

People all around me are losing their jobs. I feel that we are going to collapse, or at least go way down in my town. In the last 2 days, 11 people I know from five different employers are out of work.

Are things getting that bad by you?

RAS

I would not worry about things I can't control. I have faith in the American People, I think they can hold out for about three months.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by HitnRun

If you/we survive, the markets will eventually bounce back, just like they always have.

If you've got nothing to show for yourself, that's hardly anyone else's problem

Get your head outta the sand !

Paul.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you prefer death to having no money, that your prerogative.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Kinda beat me to it - & you definitely said it in a nicer way.

Paul.

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Rather be dead than broke.............yowsa!

You can be quite happy and be broke. Look to me for your paradigm of hope.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Rather be dead than broke.............yowsa!

You can be quite happy and be broke. Look to me for your paradigm of hope.

I'm with you Brother !

Paul.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

If you/we survive, the markets will eventually bounce back, just like they always have.

If you've got nothing to show for yourself, that's hardly anyone else's problem

Get your head outta the sand !

You have never been broke or hungry. If you want to see total anarchy, take the money away from people and watch what happens. You are also assuming the worst conditions of the virus. You seem to believe that there will be millions of people will die from this. That isn't going to happen. Millions of people will be affected by the downturn in economics, and that has already happened. Meanwhile you people seem to hope for the worst in the virus and ignore what is already happened in people's lives without jobs and much of a future.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
As I said before, I think the economy will come roaring back. Unemployment will fall drastically, new industries will spring up as a response to this thing as well as more coming back onshore. The lone caveat is that it will take a leader that understands business to see this through. We cannot endure more "stimulus". If the White House turns blue in November, our economy, ergo our country, is well and truly fuucked. Elections matter now more than ever.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
As I said before, I think the economy will come roaring back. Unemployment will fall drastically, new industries will spring up as a response to this thing as well as more coming back onshore. The lone caveat is that it will take a leader that understands business to see this through. We cannot endure more "stimulus". If the White House turns blue in November, our economy, ergo our country, is well and truly fuucked. Elections matter now more than ever.

and that's a fact jack

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
The Democrats!!

Molon Labe
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I think we will be better in the long run, but it’s going to hurt getting there.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
For me and my family its covid. I'm at very high risk so it concerns us.

Economy will rebound. Yes some folks will be hurt and that's bad but it will come back. I know I've been broke before and pulled myself out of it, I'll do it again if need be.

And if I kind of know you from around the fire, I"m willing to be common sense is in full swing. High risk folks generally have months of supplies on hand, 6 months typically. They know when its time to close the front and back door and just hibernate so to speak. And they have the ability to disinfect what they might need to get like mail possibly. Or packages. And they have the sheet plastic and tape and such to really seal off if they had to.

So you will survive this. I'd be willing to bet on it.

And if you don't, your day was that day, not sooner, not later. Kinda gruff I guess but we will all have our day.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from iai.tv]

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
The economy will come back fast as soon as we ditch the democrats. Maybe send them to china they like communism.

Let's revisit this in November.

How healthy will the economy be?

How many deaths and weakened people will there be?

At what levels will the financial markets be?

Where will real estate markets be?

Will there be a vaccine readily available?

November? Nah, when a major hurricane hits the coast you look at things a year later to see if its heading back to normal. I'm willing to bet November will be positive but no where near where we will be in a year out from this.

BUT the only way to know is let er rip. And there is no way to stop it anyway.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,002 guests, and 1,089 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,190
Posts18,465,790
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.