Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Got one buddy who will only buy welded. His preference is Crestliner. Another buddy who claims that riveted is perfect and he will only buy a Lund.

3rd buddy has owned riveted and welded. Actually owns both now and has no preference but his biggest newest boat is all welded. It is made by G3, who as near as I can tell makes their flat bottoms welded and their V-hulls riveted.

Any boat can fail. Is failure more likely with a welded or a riveted hull?

Who here has had a failure of either a welded or a riveted hull? Can you detail what the failure was and if there were any root causes particular to type of construction?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

BP-B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not even a question, welded only. Rivets get loose and leak. This is what I've done for 30 years, I know.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welded heavy gauge... forever boats

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The right builder is more important

Last edited by kroo88; 04/02/20.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by irfubar

This.^^^
I can't believe we agree on this.
Do I know you? grin

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I haven’t had failures with either but my preference is welded, all other things being equal. Rivets have a natural tendency to start working (wearing out and moving), which can bring on leaks and corrosion between the parts that are riveted together. And one rivet starts working, it’s just a matter of time until the ones next to it start as well and so on. I guess that’s not a huge problem if you stay on top of it and know how to remove and replace rivets, but there is no denying that welds, again, all other things equal, are stronger bonds than rivets.

Cost may be a consideration though. Our old 1970’s Model Ouchita Jon boat leaks like a sieve, but she’s still great getting back into creeks 40 or 50 years after she was made. I have a G3 Bay 18 DLX. Welded hull. That boat has been very solid and dependable on my home lake which has plenty of chop, wind and dumbasses on ski boats and jet skis in the summer.

And I’m sorry, but if a person willingly and happily rides a jet ski and they’re over the age of 23, they’re a jackass.

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mirage243
Not even a question, welded only. Rivets get loose and leak. This is what I've done for 30 years, I know.

Am I correct in that G3 welds the flat bottoms, and rivets the V-hulls? If so do you know why?

Any experience with the G3 flat bottom or bay boats on big water and/or chop?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Originally Posted by irfubar

This.^^^
I can't believe we agree on this.
Do I know you? grin

Mr. stevenson at the moment you would probably be wise to distance yourself from me.... make up a disagreement call me names and you will be in good standing... smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All welded.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I will only go with Welded boats. I like a chine built in and then run a bead. You can't just weld butt to butt and get the same performance. I have no use for riveted boats. I especially like Alumaweld Boats out of Oregon.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I will only go with Welded boats. I like a chine built in and then run a bead. You can't just weld butt to butt and get the same performance. I have no use for riveted boats. I especially like Alumaweld Boats out of Oregon.

Alumaweld doesnt make a riveted boad! You have them confused with some other manufacturer! I prefer welded, have had both, welded is superior!

Last edited by Heym06; 04/02/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Heym06
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

Alumaweld doesnt make a riveted boad! You have them confused with some other manufacturer!

Heym, have you been drinkin? may want to re-read that post

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
welded all the way [Linked Image from images.craigslist.org]

No, it is not mine. Just a random sample from Craigslist. I'll have one in a year or two. Possibly sooner if this recession forces people to sell toys cheap enough.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The thing about heavy welded aluminum boats is they will outlast you. Buy your dream boat, keep it forever enjoy a rare thing.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alumaweld owner checking in. I can't imagine running it so hard to be concerned about breaking any welds.

Granted, I'm a river, lakes, bay fisherman.

No big water.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welded. If you can afford it, I've had several you don't worry about much. Having said that right now I have a 1975 15 foot riveted boat I picked up for lake fishing. It weeps a little they all do but not enough to see any water build up on a nice day. And I paid about 1/10th the price that an equivalent welded boat would have been, so...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

No, it is not mine. Just a random sample from Craigslist. I'll have one in a year or two. Possibly sooner if this recession forces people to sell toys cheap enough.

What is the cage around the back of the cockpit for?

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Alumacraft and Lund make some nice boats. I presently own a 16 foot 1968 Lund. And she still has never leaked a bit. But it is just a little something to get the grandkids on the lake until I have the cash saved to buy a REAL boat.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Welded over rivets ..
Glued is best..
I had a duraboat that had no rivets or welds...it never leaked a drop...wish they made bigger boats..

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

What is the cage around the back of the cockpit for?

So you do not fall over the side while reeling in a salmon. There is actually a deck in the back at gunwale height to stand on and fish. That is where the little tyke is standing.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,623 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.