-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
My cousin want to try out ARs ( mine) but he is a lefty, so ejection might be a problem. Any good products out there? tried the Caldwell, etc., but found them lacking.

Thanks
Bob

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Most uppers have a shell deflector on them. I wouldnt shoot an ar without it. They also make left handed uppers. You can put those right on any lower. Stag is a good one to look at, if he wants a true left handed upper.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm left-handed and have no issues shooting a RH AR, the shell deflector works fine. Never had a case land on me (which is more than I can say about M1A's). I did put ambi safeties on mine.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Yep. They've only had built in brass deflectors since 1982.

One of my daughters is a lefty. Her rifle wears ambi charging handle and selector.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The only difference i saw between my left hand stag and my right handed ar's, was picking brass up on both sides of the bench. I tired of that chidt and sold my stag.. shooting right handed AR's works just fine.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the input, guys. He has not tried it yet and I was assuming there might be an issue. looks like I assumed incorrectly.

Bob

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And if there is an issue, trim a coil or so off the ejector spring. Makes the gun toss em forward instead of backwards. Most new guns we have go back to 5 o'clock. I tune most of ours to throw them to 1 o'clock instead.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495
And if there is an issue, trim a coil or so off the ejector spring. Makes the gun toss em forward instead of backwards. Most new guns we have go back to 5 o'clock. I tune most of ours to throw them to 1 o'clock instead.

All my ar's throw them at around 4 o'clock, with no issues.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks, again. Helpful tip.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

All my ar's throw them at around 4 o'clock, with no issues.

For most its not an issue, even lefties. We want brass to 1-2 where we can find it at matches and where it doesn't throw it all over the next shooter to you.

EASY to trim the spring back bit at a time if it helps your particular situation. And doesn't affect the reliability at all that we can tell over 200K rounds and years of shooting.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one AR that throws them at the 2 o’clock, another one at the 4 o’clock. I don’t lose too much sleep over it.. I initially I was trying to figure it out, but stopped worrying. Like Rost says at the 2 o’clock easy to police up your brass and you aren’t pelting shooter next to you. One fella in our club his chucks them out at the 3 o’clock and I get hit occasionally. One day a hot one going to land on my neck lol.

Last edited by 79S; 04/01/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Potty training the ejector like Rost describes is pretty much expected for XC shooting around here.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 79S
I have one AR that throws them at the 2 o’clock, another one at the 4 o’clock. I don’t lose too much sleep over it.. I initially I was trying to figure it out, but stopped worrying. Like Rost says at the 2 o’clock easy to police up your brass and you aren’t pelting shooter next to you. One fella in our club his chucks them out at the 3 o’clock and I get hit occasionally. One day a hot one going to land on my neck lol.

LOL. Doens't take but one to learn to have a cap with neck flaps or a towel around your neck. 223 wasn't just horrible, 308 and the 06 from garand have a bit more surface area...to me they were way worse.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm a south paw and shoot everything right handed (minus a LH AIAT) including ARs. I have several of these but not sure if they are even being made anymore. Used them for 10s of thousands of rounds in both aerial and ground work. Brass is spent right at your feet.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by joshf303
I'm a south paw and shoot everything right handed (minus a LH AIAT) including ARs. I have several of these but not sure if they are even being made anymore. Used them for 10s of thousands of rounds in both aerial and ground work. Brass is spent right at your feet.....

Thats cool Josh. You are a lefty, but no ambi controls at all. You d man. smile

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Josh303,

That's pretty slick, does it attach to the top rail?
How well does it stay attached?

I see that Brownell's has them.

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-...eflectors/brass-deflector-prod18554.aspx

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by MoranoGrande
Josh303,

That's pretty slick, does it attach to the top rail?
How well does it stay attached?

I see that Brownell's has them.

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-...eflectors/brass-deflector-prod18554.aspx

They were mounted under EOTech sights. It’s held in place by the rail mount of the sight base.

Had no problems with them staying attached. It’s thin so would get bent and pushed up outta place at times, but did what I needed it to.

Last edited by joshf303; 04/02/20.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

You ever watch Bernosky run a bolt gun......

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I'm right handed but shoot my rifles both left and right handed (ARs and everything else); if nothing else it's good practice but there are plenty of situations where it helps to be able to shoot with either side. For example a right handed hunter with your back to a tree, and a deer shows up at your 3:00 - pretty hard to make that shot right handed, but no big deal left handed.

I haven't found the need to make any modifications to my rifles for left handed shooting, other than just tuning them right so you don't get too much gas face from that open ejection port. I don't like ambi controls; stuff like that I want on either all of my rifles or none of them, otherwise you come to rely on it and then with a different rifle it's not there.

I also don't care about brass landing on someone next to me - that's a competition specific thing that has nothing to do with how I use my rifles. Nothing wrong with tuning the ejector spring for that purpose if need be, but it's worth pointing out that is a completely different thing than when we're talking about using the ejection pattern to judge gas system tuning. There's been some confusion about that here before, with rost495 and maybe others if I remember right.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

You ever watch Bernosky run a bolt gun......

Dont know him, but if he runs one like i do, he can keep up with ruger 10/22's in our local golf ball shoots. wink. Theres a reason i shoot right hand bolt guns off the bench...

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 62 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,645
Posts18,455,396
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.