Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Jeffrey Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Listened to Dave Ramsey and stayed out of debt and built up a 3-6 month emergency fund this whole caronavirus shut down period would be more like a vacation. Me and the wife are both still working, albeit less right now. But we’ve been enjoying catching up on things around the house.

Any Dave followers here? I bet he gets a few more after this is all over.

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Yeah I'm a fan and I will be taking my money more seriously after this. I had been generally doing the right thing but taking my sweet time. Learned my lesson.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I always take my money seriously. These times are no different.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Im considered essential personnel, the beat goes on.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
J
Jeffrey Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Me too, which I find kind of funny. But think about how much different this situation would be if we didn’t have to bail out everyone who can’t make next months rent or mortgage payment.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was doing the Dave Ramsey thing when no one had heard of him. 1998-99. Ran his show out of a nashville talk station. Our family attorney knew him and gave me his book.

Mid 20s, took every extra biz opportunity I could do in 12-15 hour day, then go work nights killing roaches.
Had a govt county job in pest control, a roofing business, rentals, my own pest control licensed work for the other half of the day.
Set up a couple of my rent-a-drunks and high school boys to run the roofing, I pop in flash a chimney or lay a valley, put on Superman’s cape and go back to my other worky job or another project across town, cut, sold, delivered 25-30 cords of firewood in the winter

Wife was doing dental hygiene for dentist, she sold real estate, helped with bug business, managed rentals for her uncles, ran a Dalmatian dog puppy mill

killin it

paid the house off, paid off some spec lots, everything that had wheels, unsecured debts

Last new vehicle I’ve bought off of a lot was in 1995.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Government thinks we’re essential, but those dang customers don’t seem to think so...!

I like listening to Dave. Having a good cash reserve at home is making this a little less hair raising. Just wish we’d have had six more months to build up a bigger cushion in the biz after some setbacks took it away last year.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have always been conservative and saved money.................I like the Ramsey's Ideas........I just don't like him.........he sounds like an A** H***. This this was not caused by the people who did not save. This problem has been going on for many years..................people said my finances are OK.......but I will keep voting for politicians who keep increasing the national deficit........this was coming sooner or later. At some point, if this virus did not happen, the country would have gone broke sooner or later, but people were OK with the country running debts.........sooner or later it always comes back. While I'm on this tangent credit was to easy to get..........kids should have never been allowed to borrow so much money for college, should never have been allowed to borrow so much without collateral.........that would have also kept the cost of college down. When i got my BS you could go to college for 1,500 books and tuition. I assume in the 1960 people could not borrow so much for a house and car in relation to their income? However, i may also be full of it.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I am not really a Dave R. truther (don't NOT like him either), but much of his platform is just common sense; No high interest debt, have an emergency fund, save......

But part of it is also common sense. An $120k degree to be a hotel chef, or history teacher might be a bad decision.

Choose a career that is recession proof, or resistant. Or, if college isn't your thing, study a trade.

Other than my (newly refinanced 2.75%/10 year) mortgage I haven't had a loan higher than 0% interest in a decade. We run a tight ship, cash flow is king, and we have slowly run up a large cash on hand reserve for emergencies, (~2 years living expenses) that I am slowly filtering back into these depressed markets.

Healthy, and educated in the appropriate markets helps. It's not all in our control. Accidents happen.

We have taught our young son (25 y.o new college grad professional) to hope for the best but plan for the worst. He is in lock down and left Vegas to hunker down with us in Colorado while we ALL work remote. He is a bit wide-eyed as this is his first 9/11..... dot-com bust..... all the stuff we have been through.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I used to blanket subdivisions like a mini normandy invasion

If I knocked on your door, I was going to sell you a termite job, a flea treatment, a new roof, some replacement windows, some foundation or attic ventilation, a vapor barrier in your crawlspace, a monthly pest control contract, a deck, a privacy fence, tree work.

Them ones that have them No Soliciting signs, those schmucks are pushovers. They can’t say no. Hahaha

If you were rude, I sent my wife’s Uncle Harold out, he sold Kirby vacuums. Holy fugk, he’d rip you a new one. lol

IC B3

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Don't know a Dave Ramsey, but learned after 2008 as a construction worker 6 months of money wasn't near enough, even when I stretched it to 2 years and out hustling illegals for a chit 1 day job every couple weeks.

If you are over 45 and don't have 2 years worth of cash/bank you are a fool.

Kent

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by slumlord

If I knocked on your door, I was going to sell you a termite job, a flea treatment, a new roof, some replacement windows, some foundation or attic ventilation, a vapor barrier in your crawlspace, a monthly pest control contract, a deck, a privacy fence, tree work.

Them ones that have them No Soliciting signs, those schmucks are pushovers. They can’t say no. Hahaha

If you were rude, I sent my wife Uncle Harold out, he sold Kirby vacuums. Holy fugk, he’d rip you a new one. lol

So,....you're an Irish traveler?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

If you were rude, I sent my wife’s Uncle Harold out, he sold Kirby vacuums. Holy fugk, he’d rip you a new one. lol

I like what you have posted in this thread but I have a No Soliciting sign in my door and if you keep talking past the door slamming in your face, knock again, or try to push your way in a .44 mag would be in your snout, pronto.

A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jeffrey: Your man "Dave" is right in his intentions and contentions but sadly many folks won't comply.
For a variety of reasons.
I have been completely debt free for nearly two decades now and I had never heard of "Dave" until a couple years ago.
I honestly TRY to listen to him on occasion but he is so repetitive, boring and uninspiring (kind of like "slimload" here on!) that I can only take a few minutes of his monotony!
So he is correct but VERY unpalatable to me (again just like "slimload"!).
In fact as time goes on I find that I resent him more each time I try to listen to him (again just like "slimload"!).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Honestly, I'm retired and my life hasn't changed much except my girls are trapped here! I'm actually getting things done just to get out of the house!

Last edited by reivertom; 04/02/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by duck911

I like what you have posted in this thread but I have a No Soliciting sign in my door and if you keep talking past the door slamming in your face, knock again, or try to push your way in a .44 mag would be in your snout, pronto.

I’d try to catch most of em out in the yard,

All in all, might only see one of those signs in a subdivision of 500 houses.

Was a common gag among the Orkin guys, to try those houses. More of a dare. lol

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

I have met a few salesmen like you claim to be. The first one fugged me out of $1200 for a Kirby back in 1983 soon after our wedding and I was hoping to please the bride. But we really could not afford $100 for a vacuum at that time.

By the end of the month I figured out how badly I had screwed up, and have been absolutely immune to salesmen of any stripe since.

Knock on my door? Fug YOU, it's my house. Get the FUG out!

Call my phone? I'll do my best to keep you on the phone for a solid hour. But you ain't gettin' a dime out of my tight ass.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by duck911

I’d try to catch most of em out in the yard,

All in all, might only see one of those signs in a subdivision of 500 houses.

Good info from an expert, I appreciate it! I'm sure you take your no trespassing sign seriously on your place. Same, me and my No Soliciting sign. I'll paint it on a tire and toss it on my street lamp in front of my place where it will get better viz from the Kirby guys.

Last edited by duck911; 04/02/20.

A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I like the Dave Ramsey show. I find it entertaining, listening to all the people that call in. I am shocked at what some people cannot figure out on their own. Shocked again at how many of them think Dave's system and steps are the magic and dont understand what is really happening with their finances.

Know several folks that are following him now. They were dragging out their get out debt time, taking vacations and hunts etc, but trying to do the steps to the program too. Getting caught right now with only $1000 in the bank has been rough on them. They are all vowing to hit it hard once things get back to normal and not do the slow and steady method anymore..

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I know this will sound bad. However it's much easier for a single man to be financially conservative, I may buy the occasional gun...............but for the most part, women are terrible about spending and saving...............not always, just as a general rule.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,614
Posts18,454,947
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.