Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
Waders

Why do folks wait till they get low or run out?
Whose fault is it?

We’ve been thru several ‘fear’ or ‘panic’ situations, some DON’T learn.

They only have themselves to blame, because they are too cheap and too lazy to stock up. As YOU said, "some DON'T learn."

Like you, it baffles me...

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A Follow Up

The Next 2 quotes come from the Hunting Rifles Forum: 3-25-20

I will not live long enuff to shoot all the ammo or components I have............

under either circumstance! Comprende'

Originally Posted by RDW
If anyone is out of anything after 2008, 2012, Sandy Hook, Las Vegas...they are not bright enough to own firearms.

Last edited by jwall; 04/02/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I posted this on 2/19/18:

Originally Posted by Waders
If you identify an ammo that works well, go buy a few cases of it at www.targetsportsusa.com. They have the most consistent cheapest prices and give free shipping on a case of ammo. $250 to $275 for 5000 rounds to your door is a no-brainer to most--but you wait--there will be another scare after Trump gets un-elected and people will cry about shortages and prices. If anybody goes into the next shortage with less than 10,000 rounds of rimfire, they have nobody to blame but themselves. (But it won't stop them from begging for a box of 50 for their grandson so he can shoot a squirrel this weekend and feed his family...)

I posted this in the CAMPFIRE forum on 12/30/17:

Originally Posted by Waders
What a lot of people miss is the fact that it is cheaper to stock up in advance. When you need something, go to the closet and get what you bought 6 months ago.

When the next "ammo/gun scare" happens (and it will), people will cry loud and long about prices. They will sob how their grandson needs 50 rounds of .22 ammo and there is none to be found. They will want to buy a stripped AR lower, 2 pounds of powder, some primers, some brass, and some magazines for their pistol or AR--and they are going to lose their minds about prices and non-availability.

LISTEN UP: Buy stuff now. Continuously surf websites (Midway, Powder Valley, Midsouth, Brownells, Cabelas, everywhere!) for best prices and free shipping when you can get it. (I haven't paid for shipping in forever; I keep adding stuff to my carts at various websites and buy when there's a promotion.)

In the wake of the last election, by now everybody should have a half dozen stripped lowers, ten thousand rounds (or more) of .22lr ammo, a bunch of AR mags, and enough reloading components for the next decade. If you shoot factory ammo, you should be buying by the case from TargetSportsUSA.com (low prices and free shipping every time). As of 2 minutes ago, you can get brass cased 9mm shipped to your door for $0.19 per round, .45 ACP for $0.26 per round, and .22lr for $0.05 per round.

At my range, people don't even care about 9mm or .40 brass anymore. It's all in the bin. I even get .45 ACP brass about every other trip. That NEVER used to happen. Right now is the time to prepare for the next shortage. Yeah you have to part with your hard-earned money, but you will feel like a genius later.

OK, rant over. Best wishes to us all!

I can't help but wonder how many people "need stuff" after 4 years of massive supply and cheap prices...

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i think just from memory you get get three 9mm lead slugs out of a ounce of lead. if one were to have about 1500pounds of lead, that i t think if i did the math right, about24000 rounds. add to that buckets of range brass, cost is primer and powder.
come to think of it 8pounds of powder has 7000 ounces in a pound of powder, 8pound keg 56000grains. at about 4grains per load i ain't gonna worry about it.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Uh Huh, Uh Huh, I like it.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm sure .380, 9x19,.38 Special, .357, .40S&W, .45ACP are out of stock. Might try for 7,65 Browning, 9x18, .357 Sig, .45GAP, .44 Special. Now is not bad time to liquidate guns in calibers which normally don't sell well. The .40S&W is out because many bought police trade in guns. The Makarov round might still be available because although Bulgarian Makarovs, P-64s, CZ-82s were sold in quantity those guys usually tend to be collectors not shooters.

U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
357 Sig is out, as well, also 10mm.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Obviously the situation is very serious. Not surprised based on how the Chinese and the Russians answered the call.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hard to believe .40 S&W is out of stock.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Not only ammo.

I visited GT distributors site earlier, clicked on Glock mags, ,,,,,,out of stock.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I will not live long enuff to shoot all the ammo or components I have............

under either circumstance! Comprende'

Originally Posted by RDW
If anyone is out of anything after 2008, 2012, Sandy Hook, Las Vegas...they are not bright enough to own firearms.

When the horse is OUT of the barn............... > what about the door ?

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I have plenty of ammo and magazines.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

I have plenty of ammo and magazines.

Morning Sir..... I had NO doubt > grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just a FYI

For those in the Northwest that have a Bi-mart nearby, I'd give them a call.

Yesterday Bi-Mart in Medford, OR had received 'some' 9mm.

Did not query what 9mm or how much... as I've been in this boat before and like Waders and Jwall I learned to look ahead more than a couple of weeks.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
My, how this thread has drifted. I merely started it to inform people what was happening at the distributor level. I can't count the number of times I've heard people say "buy a gun in (unpopular caliber) because when things get tight, you'll still be able to find ammo for it". Now, we find this isn't really true. I'm sure retailers still have some in stock, but the pipeline is getting dry.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I can't count the number of times I've heard people say "buy a gun in (unpopular caliber) because when things get tight, you'll still be able to find ammo for it".

Now, we find this isn't really true. I'm sure retailers still have some in stock, but the pipeline is getting dry.

NOT to argue, just my observation:

This pic was taken 3-27-20 at my LGS
This is part of a cabinet/shelves with handgun ammo;
NO 9mm ammo.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IN same cabinet just to R of 9mm slot on 2nd shelf is 40 SW ammo.

This is JUST 1 day and I have not been back to check on REsupply and stocking.

Yes, Sample of 1 but done for my needs. I bought 1 box of 40 SW ammo.

On a parallel subject. In the 90s I discovered that During Hunting season IF you had
a 54 Cal Muzzleloader you could find/get things you could NOT find in 50 Cal.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by teal
A week before it all really hit - I was at Cabela's - first thing off the shelf was 9mm.

Depleted but not gone 223

45 ACP was full.

45 Colt and other "revolver" cartridges were all in fat supply.

Nother reason to have a wheel gun.

Another reason to be a hand loader, with a large supply of components! wink The “only” time I would have been caught low ow loading components was when I was in my early 20’s, raising a family on just above $100.00/week!
Just like the US is experiencing now.....needing supplies and we have to depend on the ChiComs. Never be dependent in a time of need! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I can't count the number of times I've heard people say "buy a gun in (unpopular caliber) because when things get tight, you'll still be able to find ammo for it".

Now, we find this isn't really true. I'm sure retailers still have some in stock, but the pipeline is getting dry.

NOT to argue, just my observation:

This pic was taken 3-27-20 at my LGS
This is part of a cabinet/shelves with handgun ammo;
NO 9mm ammo.

IN same cabinet just to R of 9mm slot on 2nd shelf is 40 SW ammo.

This is JUST 1 day and I have not been back to check on REsupply and stocking.

Yes, Sample of 1 but done for my needs. I bought 1 box of 40 SW ammo.

On a parallel subject. In the 90s I discovered that During Hunting season IF you had
a 54 Cal Muzzleloader you could find/get things you could NOT find in 50 Cal.

Jerry

I stopped by cabela's to pick up another box or two, (just topping off) 9mm was made of unobtanioum, but my rifle ammo, .450 Bushmaster, was available in 4 varieties.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
jwall--how many decades has that 38 Special been sitting there? Some of those boxes had graphics that haven't been used in many years. I just noticed Nyclads--those are collectors items. A few boxes of this, a few of that. One or two good customers could clean him out.

Last edited by UPhiker; 04/04/20.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
UP

I can't answer your question. I am a handloader and haven't bought much factory ammo in years.

There are other cabinets connected to that one and I was only interested in the 40 ammo and noticed the vacancies.
Regardless.... the pic speaks for itself.

I got my 40 SW in Feb and I don't intend to load for it.... having other weapons and well supplied with components. I have bought a few boxes of 40 for practice and S D purposes.

This GS is in a very good location and has lots of customers.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (300_savage, 264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, 13 invisible), 1,581 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,434
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.