Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
It sounds like a 1/4 inch welded hull with a big V8 might be overkill for your use.

I would give the Hewescraft river runner a good look. Check out some of the samples on this page.
https://www.smartmarineguide.com/boats-for-sale/hewescraft-river-runner

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Originally Posted by johnw
My definition of affordable is around 25k for a new boat/motor/trailer combo. Used is another story, and I prefer to buy used.
I just backed off on a riveted 2008 G3 V167 combo that the owner needed 10K for. I believe his rig is worth $10,000 dollars, but it is both shorter and narrower than I really want.
Might need to reconsider it as I will mostly fish alone and on sheltered waters.

Seem to remember a thread where you said you were looking to fish Mississippi and Wisconsin river....if that is the case and you aren't looking to play Bassmasters I cannot imagine a 16 footer with a 40/50 horse tiller not being enough boat for you, especially solo. One thing you may or may not have thought of is you'll be launching and loading this thing solo - some guys lack the gene for getting a boat back on the trailer, it's exasperated when they start to get into 20 footers and 8 foot beams.

Agreed.

And maybe especially so until I reacquaint with skills I haven't used in decades...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Great point flintlocke!!!

Save it be for the recent increased use of composites in aircraft, we have all trusted our lives at 30,000 feet for years and years to riveted aluminum skins over aluminum or steel (welded) frames subjected to heavy loads and "G's", extreme temperatures, turbulence, and weather! I know that air is thin and requires "lift" to keep from falling from the sky BUT some of that water is awful deep and cold too! As flintocke pointed out, not too many "all welded" planes (if any?) out there.

A few loose rivets are not going to sink you very quick BUT I could see where a failed or separated seam could be a liitle more dicey.
Give the aluminum and rivets some love... the wood stocked, CM blued pre-64 M70 of the boat world!!!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by LazyV
Seems like this thread has probably made it clear to you, but welded. My Alumaweld supervee had zero issues, and my Duckwater is a tank. But if I couldn’t afford a welded boat and rivets got me on the water it’d be fine...until I could afford a welded...

BAM...

I can be guilty of overthinking...

Why on earth didn’t you buy that Ranger 180 center counsel I sent you the link for? That’ll fish any water you want to run up N and also work for you down in the gulf when it’s time.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flintlocke
In 24 years of ocean service, crabbing in December also, my old riveted Starcraft has never had a loose rivet. The Pacific Coast north of Cape Mendocino and south of Coos Head is not very pacific. The access to open ocean is over bars. The Rogue River bar at Gold Beach is legendary. The Starcrafts are the proven boats, I believe of the Walleye fisherman on the Great Lakes which I believe blows up as steep and quick as any water in North America.
The technology of tig welding has improved over the years, but I am not aware of any welded aircraft, I personally have ridden tens of thousands of miles in Alaska and the Aleutians in my company's DC-3, it was 50 years old when they bought it.

As to the starcraft boats on the Great Lakes, it may have been so at one time. And I remember seeing quite a few Starcraft boats around in the 1960sand 1970s.
My experience is limited to Michigan and Superior, but I wanna say that probably 80% of the aluminum I see on the water there comes from Lund. Maybe another 15% from Crestliner, and occasionally an Alumacraft or Lowe.

My dad had a Starcraft back in the late 60s. Great boat for us then. Rarely see one anywhere today.

My most recent craigslist search covered 300 miles from y home and I think there was one ad for a Starcraft...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by LazyV
Seems like this thread has probably made it clear to you, but welded. My Alumaweld supervee had zero issues, and my Duckwater is a tank. But if I couldn’t afford a welded boat and rivets got me on the water it’d be fine...until I could afford a welded...

BAM...

I can be guilty of overthinking...

Why on earth didn’t you buy that Ranger 180 center counsel I sent you the link for? That’ll fish any water you want to run up N and also work for you down in the gulf when it’s time.

I called him as soon as I saw the link. It was sold and on it's way out his driveway when I called.

Edit; The guy answered the phone,"This is Gary, the boat is sold".
Guess he got a lot of calls.

Last edited by johnw; 04/02/20.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Keep it real....

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Got one buddy who will only buy welded. His preference is Crestliner. Another buddy who claims that riveted is perfect and he will only buy a Lund.

3rd buddy has owned riveted and welded. Actually owns both now and has no preference but his biggest newest boat is all welded. It is made by G3, who as near as I can tell makes their flat bottoms welded and their V-hulls riveted.

Any boat can fail. Is failure more likely with a welded or a riveted hull?

Who here has had a failure of either a welded or a riveted hull? Can you detail what the failure was and if there were any root causes particular to type of construction?

Just depends on what you are doing with it, riveted boats typically smaller, lighter and powered w/ob.... nothing wrong with them for most anything. We use to call them "green" boats... cuz they usally were...several companies making that style boat in a welded hull, still light and affordable, Alweld comes to mind. The trend today is welded and has becomes common place. But plenty of good ole riveted boats around. Starcraft made some pretty big deep v riveted boats, they maybe still do. Bigger boats w IB jets are almost exclusively welded

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Hewescraft is the largest selling welded aluminum boat in Alaska, where the conditions (bays, ocean, rivers, lakes) can get pretty rough and you have to depend on the equipment.

The only reason some people buy riveted is to save money, which is a legitimate choice, but not for quality/dependability, and having good resale value in future years, which welded boats provide.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by flintlocke
In 24 years of ocean service, crabbing in December also, my old riveted Starcraft has never had a loose rivet. The Pacific Coast north of Cape Mendocino and south of Coos Head is not very pacific. The access to open ocean is over bars. The Rogue River bar at Gold Beach is legendary. The Starcrafts are the proven boats, I believe of the Walleye fisherman on the Great Lakes which I believe blows up as steep and quick as any water in North America.
The technology of tig welding has improved over the years, but I am not aware of any welded aircraft, I personally have ridden tens of thousands of miles in Alaska and the Aleutians in my company's DC-3, it was 50 years old when they bought it.
Finally. Someone gets it. Tip of the hat sir...

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have had both have 2 welded boats right now. The rivets eventually get loose and leak. Cheaply made welded boats do crack at the weld too. If you want a forever boat buy one that is what you want from a quality builder. For me that was welded.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Had 2 Starcrafts back in the 60’s through 80’s. They were great boats and very popular in northern NYS. Don’t see many these days. Lund seems to be the aluminum boat of choice now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Sylvan 16' run-a-bout and it's riveted. I bought it in 1989 and to this day there is no leak of any kind.

I've owned two Alumacraft and two Sylvans…….all riveted and not a complaint with any of them.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
More water outside the boat than inside I say. Whatever that means.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd never own a riveted boat. They can be very well built, but each below the water rivet is a possible point of failure. Based on my observations rivets are more likely to fail than welds.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I am not selling boats of any particular assembly method and what I say here prolly does not apply to sport boats at all. But in the world of Alaska work boats, welded aluminum has had serious and unending problems. A company that I worked for commissioned an aluminum shallow draft boat, the Koyuk. Imagine a 38' foot landing craft, twin Cat D336TA power, light enough to be lifted by a single 50 ton crane on and off the mother barge,capable of negotiating rivers, bays, beach landings and open ocean. It did the job for years, no disastrous failures, but at EVERY opportunity it was lifted onto the barge for structural welding repairs. It wasn't a bad design, it just had too many stresses constantly working on it, keel coolers with 180 deg water circulating immediately adjacent to 40 deg ocean and hull skin. Structural seams cracking right and left. The same design was used with steel, built in Morgan City La., I think a fleet of 5 boats, and in 8 years, I don't ever remember any kind of structural repair, and I would have known. The really heavy stuff required to put Prudhoe Bay in production was all delivered by the steel boats.
The welded aluminum sport boats are great safe boats and I would own one if I could afford it, but, it ain't the only game in town. Starcraft especially designed the Islander series for safety in rough water, a huge deep vee bow for a gentle entry, tapering back to a nearly flat stern for the ability to get up on step instantly when you need to ride a big swell in over a bar entrance. I wouldn't have taken my kids and wife over the bar if there was the slightest doubt.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Airplanes, and semi trailers are riveted.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
As a welder, I’d say welded!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Airplanes, and semi trailers are riveted.

They aren't designed to float.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
My 14' Crestliner is riveted. I've never been in a welded boat. To each his own, it seems cabin fever goes on forever.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 57 invisible), 3,273 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,301
Posts18,468,064
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.