24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I only had a nickel for every rivet I've tightened or replaced in Lowe's and Lund's in my life........

It's never a matter of "will they leak" it's how much they will leak.
A riveted boat with a elevated floor and a auto bilge might never appear to have rivet seeps.....but they do...

Just put your non-leaking riveted boat on the trailer and fill it with about 6 inches of water and tell me what you see.

BP-B2

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Airplanes, and semi trailers are riveted.

They aren't designed to float.

Not only that, but pressurized aircraft leak air constantly. They have pressurization system that constantly maintains pressure but inside cabin air is always leaking out.
On a boat the highest pressure on the hull is below waterline. It's not air trying to leak in.

I've been in dozens of riveted boats and noticed very few problems. What I do note on talking to craigs list sellers is that a fair number of riveted Lunds have been repaired.
Also noted that a fair number of welded Crestliners have had issues. Mostly with the transom.

It aint a perfect world, and I'm thinkin g harder on the G3 that I passed on. It's in good condition, but reasonably priced. And I know I can break anything...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Rivets will flex without cracking.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Airplanes, and semi trailers are riveted.

They aren't designed to float.

I beg your pardon.....:-)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Bet they all have a hand pump in the front left float hatch too! I’ve never not seen one get pumped out before takeoff if it’s been sitting overnight.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 14' Crestliner is riveted. I've never been in a welded boat. To each his own, it seems cabin fever goes on forever.

I have two Crestliner's that both leak just fine..,..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheKid
Bet they all have a hand pump in the front left float hatch too! I’ve never not seen one get pumped out before takeoff if it’s been sitting overnight.

Check.....our's typically have a hole here and there to go with their various loose rivets...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My money would never buy anything but a welded boat

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Always a good bet you’re in AK when there’s a small aluminum boat with a huge outboard with a jet foot on it. Rode many river miles in a 17’ semivee that had a 200 Yamaha hanging off the back. Down here the boat in your pic would probably have a 40 on it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by mirage243
Not even a question, welded only. Rivets get loose and leak. This is what I've done for 30 years, I know.

Am I correct in that G3 welds the flat bottoms, and rivets the V-hulls? If so do you know why?

Any experience with the G3 flat bottom or bay boats on big water and/or chop?

I haven't read through this whole thread but I weld aluminum and have repaired many many different types of aluminum boats. In my opinion I'll take welded construction any day as I can repair it if needed. That being said several years ago I repaired a G3 that the owner hit a small log in the river. I was amazed at how thin of material it was made out of. Due to that I'd look long and hard and pay more for something with a thicker bottom.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheKid
Always a good bet you’re in AK when there’s a small aluminum boat with a huge outboard with a jet foot on it. Rode many river miles in a 17’ semivee that had a 200 Yamaha hanging off the back. Down here the boat in your pic would probably have a 40 on it.

That'd be my other Crestliner in Montana that has the 40 jet on it, same hull design but it's two foot shorter....

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
The biggest problem I have with my boats, is getting them in water.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have a lund alaskan that has rivets and it’s dry as a bone.

I think it has to do with how you treat / handle (don’t abuse it) the boat... mine is also only 4 years old.. smile

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

That good sir - is a huge motor on a small boat... that would be like skipping a rock.

Originally Posted by JeffA
My 14' Crestliner is riveted. I've never been in a welded boat. To each his own, it seems cabin fever goes on forever.

I have two Crestliner's that both leak just fine..,..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

I think it has to do with how you treat / handle (don’t abuse it) the boat... mine is also only 4 years old.. smile

I'd have to stay outta Alaskan waters to avoid abuse.
Flat bottoms and semi-vee's take a pounding on rough lakes when the winds come up but you have to have them to run the shallow rivers between the lakes which can be wall to wall rapids, rocks and rollers at times.

Then there are those occasional beaver dam and fallen tree jumps that can add to the issue.
Alaska wasn't built for calm lake queens.....

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'd never own a riveted boat. They can be very well built, but each below the water rivet is a possible point of failure. Based on my observations rivets are more likely to fail than welds.

Based on your observations, you have seen them leak?

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

I'd have to stay outta Alaskan waters to avoid abuse.
Flat bottoms and semi-vee's take a pounding on rough lakes when the winds come up but you have to have them to run the shallow rivers between the lakes which can be wall to wall rapids, rocks and rollers at times.

Then there are those occasional beaver dam and fallen tree jumps that can add to the issue.
Alaska wasn't built for calm lake queens.....

Those.... those hulls are made in China...! Ask Craig Compost

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by johnn

Those.... those hulls are made in China...! Ask Craig Compost

Speaking of Craig..

I liked the earlier version of his video, "Come Hell or Low Water" they use to mail out on DVD.
Still pretty good, I like how they topped this version off with the Caribou kill....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
[Linked Image from boats-from-usa.com]

This makes a perfect Hells Canyon boat. And yes I copied this off the internet because I don't do the canyon, thats how you die.

2010 BWC 26' Gatling Grey TwinAll aluminum is polished!(2) 6.2Litre Cadillac Supercharged LSA Motors(2) Hamilton 213 Pumps with custom pump workCustom 28" wide cross storage box with dividersNew Lexan WindowsHDS-10 GPS UnitWash Down KitCenter Rigid LED Light BarRear spot lights(2) Remote Spot LightsAM/FM CD Players(2) Amps1 10" Subwoofers with Rockford Fosgate AmplifiersCB Radio(5) Front air ride seatsRight Hand Stick SteerMany more options, too many to listTwin axle trailer with new tires(2) spare tiresShow Room Great Condition!

Last edited by BluMtn; 04/03/20.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Following this

Keep in-mind not all welded boats are created equal

The blanket statement welded better is not really true
I can be, but not always

Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 04/03/20.

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 14 invisible), 1,674 guests, and 665 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.