Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m reasonably sure, having experience welding, that my 1983 Gregor is stick welded. Just by bead shape and puddle fill. Don’t know if that’s good or bad, the little bit of repair welding I did on it I TIG welded. But it’s a pretty solid little boat. Pretty sure everything now is probably TIG or more likely spool gunned.

I have a buddy who used to build aluminum semi trailers, they were all TIG so maybe boats are too. The one guy I am friends with who does a little boat building does it with aluminum MIG.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I wonder if Venezuelan Destroyers are riveted or welded. That should answer the question.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
I have a lund alaskan that has rivets and it’s dry as a bone.

I think it has to do with how you treat / handle (don’t abuse it) the boat... mine is also only 4 years old.. smile

I have a small Starcraft runabout that's riveted. I don't beat it up, and I don't think anyone else did either. 75hp Johnson, so it is fully powered...dry as a bone too. 59 years old. My son had a welded Tracker that kept cracking.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had a little SeaKing 14 footer when we lived in AK that we trolled for trout a lot in. The buddy I traded out of it had bucked all the rivets and given the bottom a thick coat of Gluvit from WestMarine, it didn’t leak a drop. Another bud that used to go fish with us would take his Chrysler Little Fisherman riveted boat and he had better not leave the launch without a bailing can, that thing leaked around every seam and rivet in it.

I will say that while I prefer a welded boat, I’d rather have a riveted hull that leaks a little but has a good reliable motor than have the best welded rig going with some finicky POS motor that runs when it wants to. Especially if I was running rivers or any body of water where wind can be an issue.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I see the Midwest boats with steering wheels with only 40 HP outboards. Most of hardcore Fishing friends use tiller handles all the way up to 300 HP.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by johnn

Those.... those hulls are made in China...! Ask Craig Compost

Speaking of Craig..

I liked the earlier version of his video, "Come Hell or Low Water" they use to mail out on DVD.
Still pretty good, I like how they topped this version off with the Caribou kill....

Pretty good videos, Craig was/is a good promoter... He sold Phantom sport Jons and things changed, story is the owner of Bucher glass was in china dealing with a fbricator for some extrusions and there were these boat hulls laying around.. Next thing ya know they are importing the hulls and SX is born... They are not my thing, although they offer a lot of performance in a light package...
The motors typically have a short life and are ff noisy, I would have to wear muffs to go very far in one of them things... Put bottom line is no way ever would I buy a boat with a Chinese hull... done with them bastards, have been for some time... Its time to quarantine the aggressor and quit buying Chinese chit....

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by boatboy
Following this

Keep in-mind not all welded boats are created equal

The blanket statement welded better is not really true
I can be, but not always

Hank

There's welding, and then there's welding.

More importantly, there's Aluminum, and then there's Aluminum.

Aluminum alloys come in various grades. Some hard, some soft, some brittle, some ductile.

Just as an example, the first boat I bought to take the G-kids fishing in was a little 14 foot Shasta with an 18 hp Merc. When I started drilling holes in the hull to mount rod holders and such, the Aluminum cut like butter. When we took the boat out on Brownlee Res and the wind came up in the morning at sunrise, the floor would visibly flex with impact of every wave. Within a half dozen outings, the floor had cracked at each flex point and water was coming in.

Brownlee is the first dam at the head of Hells Canyon. The lake averages maybe 1/4 to 1/2 mile across. But it is about 40 miles long. Each morning at Sunrise the breeze kicks up and produces six to eight inch chop.

We fished from the Shasta for two years, and periodically hit the switch on the bilge pump to remove the water.

Then I bought a 16 foot Lund hull. I built a console into it and put my little Merc 18 on it. Drilling holes in the Lund was night and day difference from the Shasta. The wall thickness was very similar, but the Aluminum in the Lund was much harder.

In the same lake, under the same conditions, there was no flex in the Lund hull.

You will find the same to be true of welded boats. Some are constructed of superior, expensive Aluminum alloys. Some are made of less expensive alloys, and are more prone to stress cracks or heat damage along weld lines.

Most of the better built boats will tout their alloys in their advertising copy. It pays to become familiar with the alloys, or at least know how examples of the boat model has performed for others before investing a large sum of hard earned money.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
The Midwest has LOTS of 17 to 22 ft Alums with high HP OBs and Kickers

This was mine previous

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
main motor was a 250 Verado (I have to say its is an awesome motor)
These are all over the Midwest
I will admit some of these guys running them we too hard here on the Saginaw Bay are taking the toll on ALL Alum boats
Saginaw Bay of Lake Huron can be a real Beast to run on at times

The Midwest is not just frog ponds with Grandpas Johnrude

I just noticed Jaws on TV in the back ground kind of funny

Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 04/03/20.

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Following this

I can be, but not always

Hank

Aluminum alloys come in various grades. Some hard, some soft, some brittle, some ductile.

Just as an example, the first boat I bought to take the G-kids fishing in was a little 14 foot Shasta with an 18 hp Merc. When I started drilling holes in the hull to mount rod holders and such, the Aluminum cut like butter. When we took the boat out on Brownlee Res and the wind came up in the morning at sunrise, the floor would visibly flex with impact of every wave. Within a half dozen outings, the floor had cracked at each flex point and water was coming in.

Brownlee is the first dam at the head of Hells Canyon. The lake averages maybe 1/4 to 1/2 mile across. But it is about 40 miles long. Each morning at Sunrise the breeze kicks up and produces six to eight inch chop.

We fished from the Shasta for two years, and periodically hit the switch on the bilge pump to remove the water.

Then I bought a 16 foot Lund hull. I built a console into it and put my little Merc 18 on it. Drilling holes in the Lund was night and day difference from the Shasta. The wall thickness was very similar, but the Aluminum in the Lund was much harder.

In the same lake, under the same conditions, there was no flex in the Lund hull.

You will find the same to be true of welded boats. Some are constructed of superior, expensive Aluminum alloys. Some are made of less expensive alloys, and are more prone to stress cracks or heat damage along weld lines.

Most of the better built boats will tout their alloys in their advertising copy. It pays to become familiar with the alloys, or at least know how examples of the boat model has performed for others before investing a large sum of hard earned money.
Or to sum it up, welds can crack and leak too.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Midwest has LOTS of 17 to 22 ft Alums with high HP OBs and Kickers

This was mine previous

main motor was a 250 Verado (I have to say its is an awesome motor)
These are all over the Midwest
I will admit some of these guys running them we too hard here on the Saginaw Bay are taking the toll on ALL Alum boats
Saginaw Bay of Lake Huron can be a real Beast to run on at times

The Midwest is not just frog ponds with Grandpas Johnrude

I just noticed Jaws on TV in the back ground kind of funny

Hank
That's a great boat.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Following this

I can be, but not always

Hank

Or to sum it up, welds can crack and leak too.

That was my point
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lennie
I see the Midwest boats with steering wheels with only 40 HP outboards. Most of hardcore Fishing friends use tiller handles all the way up to 300 HP.

Yeah, like who wants a steering console taking up precious fishable floor space anway.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Plenty riveted boats being used on big water in these parts. I don't know anyone in these parts that thinks Crestliner is the equal of Lund or AlumaCraft. I haven't looked at a Crestliner in some time and probably won't, either, but when I last bought a boat, I couldn't get away fast enough.

Last edited by BKinSD; 04/03/20.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well I just use my 3 riveted hull boats normally (lakes and non rapids rivers) 75 F-16 Yukon Alumacraft, 78 S-16 Lund, 17" Sylvan the y work just fine without being welded. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a lighweight riveted aluminum hull with a jet pump, I beat the hell out of it running the Yellowstone and it leaked like a sieve, and was pretty much used up in a few years.

Switched to heavy welded aluminum and they are tanks that will last longer than I will.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by mirage243
Not even a question, welded only. Rivets get loose and leak. This is what I've done for 30 years, I know.

I'm driving a 1973 (since 1975) flat-bottom rivet boat, currently with 40hp Yamaha jet unit. Tell me about it. Nothing the cheap little bilge pump I installed in the stern doesn't fix, with a console toggle switch. Saves pulling the plug every so often. Worse, forgetting to re-install it when slowing down.....

Of course, if I ever needed a live-well, I'd not have to buy one. smile

Last edited by las; 04/03/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Following this

I can be, but not always

Hank

Could you please expand a little on what we should be looking for in terms of an alloy number or some other objective measure? I've seen metals categorized by number, before but not sure if I would recognize one being better than the other unless someone pointed it out. Thanks!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by johnn

Pretty good videos, Craig was/is a good promoter... He sold Phantom sport Jons and things changed, story is the owner of Bucher glass was in china dealing with a fbricator for some extrusions and there were these boat hulls laying around.. Next thing ya know they are importing the hulls and SX is born... They are not my thing, although they offer a lot of performance in a light package...

I liked the Sports Jon but just couldn't justify the money they wanted for my needs, not that they weren't worth the price.

We just fab up our own Jet Sleds...........

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’m reasonably sure, having experience welding, that my 1983 Gregor is stick welded. Just by bead shape and puddle fill. Don’t know if that’s good or bad, the little bit of repair welding I did on it I TIG welded. But it’s a pretty solid little boat. Pretty sure everything now is probably TIG or more likely spool gunned.

I have a buddy who used to build aluminum semi trailers, they were all TIG so maybe boats are too. The one guy I am friends with who does a little boat building does it with aluminum MIG.

Your gregor boat was welded with there mig process. They preheat in front of the weld, and post heat behind the weld. Gregor is a good boat, they bring a premium price, for used boats. I have flipped 5 or 6 in the last ten years, and always made a good profit. The 15 ft Gregor with the 20" transom, are sought after by guys with cartop carriers, in the Northwest ! They make great bay crabbing boats, for weekend users, and fish the high lakes well!

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 56 invisible), 3,137 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,741
Posts18,401,179
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.